MFA: PM Prayut secures several deals during his visit to China

webfact

MFA: PM secures several deals during his visit to China

BANGKOK, 26 Dec 2014 (NNT) - The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) has revealed that Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha has secured several deals with China during his official visit to the nation.

According to Deputy Foreign Minister Don Pramudwinai, during the Prime Minister’s recent visit to China, General Prayut met with his Chinese Counterpart Li Keqiang and many other important leaders.

Several deals have been reached during the visit including an agreement for China to buy 400,000 tons of para rubber from Thailand, cooperation in high speed train development and joint investment in the construction of railways and roads to make Thailand the transport hub of ASEAN.

Aside from the talks, General Prayut observed China's train operating center and the technological advancement being used in the sector.

The Prime Minister was also informed of China’s plans to establish a locomotive part factory in Thailand and its readiness to institute a curriculum on railway studies in Thai universities. Don said China considered Thailand as the center of ASEAN and was willing to help the Kingdom develop its industrial technologies.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-12-25 footer_n.gif

I thought he was meant to a be "caretaker" until a constitution and election was set up....what mandate has he for negotiating deals with the Chinese?

Like any PM he might claim the success based on the previous governments hard work (if any) ?

I thought he was meant to a be "caretaker" until a constitution and election was set up....what mandate has he for negotiating deals with the Chinese?

Like any PM he might claim the success based on the previous governments hard work (if any) ?

The junta has been quicker to move Thailand towards China than what Thaksin was doing.

Should we have sympathy for Abhisit and the Democrats ? After all, Abhisit and the Democrats appear to have been a bit less attracted to linking Thailand up with China.

What about Thai Visa people ? Some of the Thaksinites are themselves against the junta's China policy. So it was okay for Thaksin to sign up with China, but not okay for the junta to do it ? As for the anti-Thaksinites, some of them hated Thaksin's pro-China policy, some of those people are saying nothing to criticise the junta about the junta's even more pro-China policy.

rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

As PM he asked approval from the Chief of the NCPO. The Chief discussed the agreements with the NCPO who all concurred to the deals. There's your mandate. wai2.gif

Edited by rickirs
  • Like 1

The junta has been quicker to move Thailand towards China than what Thaksin was doing.

Should we have sympathy for Abhisit and the Democrats ? After all, Abhisit and the Democrats appear to have been a bit less attracted to linking Thailand up with China.

What about Thai Visa people ? Some of the Thaksinites are themselves against the junta's China policy. So it was okay for Thaksin to sign up with China, but not okay for the junta to do it ? As for the anti-Thaksinites, some of them hated Thaksin's pro-China policy, some of those people are saying nothing to criticise the junta about the junta's even more pro-China policy.

rolleyes.gif

Good questions.

No! he's making decisions without the backing of the electorate or any formal opposition. He also admitted a while back that the military don't make good governments.

If i lent you my car to go to the shops, I wouldn't expect you to go on a rally with it.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

As PM he asked approval from the Chief of the NCPO. The Chief discussed the agreements with the NCPO who all concurred to the deals. There's your mandate. wai2.gif

Joking ,right?

rolleyes.gif

Quicker? Is that your criteria for a good deal?

No it is NOT OK for the junta to do it there is no mandate and no opposition to appraise the deal............one can bet that somewhere along the line the military will get a huge financial boost out of this.......just like after the last coup.

he should stick to what he said he was going to do and leave the deals to the experts......

..and why try and falsely dichotomise by brining Thaksin into this?

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 2

"... an agreement for China to buy 400,000 tons of para rubber from Thailand ..."

The unit price for this sale is Bt60/kg to be delivered in 18 months. Weerasak Sinuwong, public relations director for the board of the 35-member Rubber Planters Network of Thailand, said "the government had killed farmers by setting the price at Bt60 per kg because the production cost was Bt64.50 per kg. In order to make a 30-per-cent profit, the price should be Bt94.50".

Deputy Minister of Agriculture and Cooperatives Amnuay Patise was confident that his ministry will be able to raise the price of third-grade smoked rubber sheets [from recent market price of Bt35-37/kg] to 60 baht/kg by the end of 2014. Thank you Junta for another delivered promise.

touché

clap2.gif

15028280236_349167e55c_c.jpg

• Like 1

rolleyes.gif

Anything that gets signed up in volume like this always has CP written all over it. People in thailand do not realise how ubiquitous Chia Tai is on China. They have the politburo on speed dial.

No Thai govt moves anything in China without CPs help or approval.

• Like 2

My feeling is that China are rubbing their hands at the thought of having just one man and no opposition to deal with and will quickly try to secure a few deals that are very much in their own interests, unfortunately I suspect that Prayuth neither has the ability or back-up to arrange and sign off on these complicated international deals.

Furthermore I can't see how he can possibly see this as part of his remit in view of the statements he made before and after becoming PM.

it means any elected government, after the elections in 2016, will have the onerous task of reviewing and if necessary re-negotiating any deals he has made.

Edited by wilcopops

rolleyes.gif

Anything that gets signed up in volume like this always has CP written all over it. People in thailand do not realise how ubiquitous Chia Tai is on China. They have the politburo on speed dial.

Hello Thai at Heart.

All this talk we're seeing on ThaiVisa about the Chinese take-over of Thailand. Let's look at Thailand right now. We all know that Thailand has been taken over by a Chinese elite. This Chinese elite, they're actually descended from a load of Chinese who came here about a hundred or two hundred years ago.

Now, the junta today are moving Thailand towards China at rapid speed. See, can't it be said, all we're seeing is a new load of Chinese are about to take-over Thailand, the new ones are replacing the existing Chinese as Thailand's new owners.

And the existing Chinese elite who still practically own Thailand. These are the people who support Abhisit's Democrats. The Democrats didn't have a China policy that was as pro-China as Thaksin's or the junta's. Is this because the existing Chinese elite don't want to be replaced by this latest batch of Chinese ?

rolleyes.gif

Happy Boxing Day, and Happy New Year man.

Well he is probably goung to be in power for quite a long time, and as he is a bit short on international approval,and the investment which goes with it, so he might as well crack on with the Chinese.

Well he is probably goung to be in power for quite a long time, and as he is a bit short on international approval,and the investment which goes with it, so he might as well crack on with the Chinese.

So you agree he has no mandate? - in fact it underlines the problem........ My concern is that as an unexperienced and unqualified person he is playing a game he knows little about and it is extremely likely he will fall prey to the aggressive deal brokering of the Chinese.

I'm not sure that there's much sense in attempting to politicise Thailand's relations with China.There seems to be no particular bias towards one faction or another so far as China is concerned.Equally all sides in Thailand are keen on good economic and political relations with China.

I guess I am not as paranoid as some on TVF when it comes to the Chinese tightening their grip on Thailand. There are a number of scenarios that can play out. But the less educated Thai's and the working class have little or no idea of the monster behind the door. If they get to figure it out I would imagine all hell will break out. That's when I will start to worry as a farang in a country where the masses could do a lot of unsavoury things which make no sense but never the less threaten the safety and lives of expats such as myself.

And what would the PM do if the army had a split? it's made up mostly of farm boy conscripts and silver tail generals with no real experience. That could get nasty very quickly.

So, is there a park bench for the paranoid farang? Can they make room for one more?

I really do think that people should stop being so paranoid and negative about the so-called Chinese take-over of Thailand. I think there's also some hypocrisy involved.

I mean, the USA imports a huge amount of cheap Chinese goods, and allows China to have a giant trade surplus. Actually, Europe is doing the same thing. So it's okay for America to have a vast amount of cheap Chinese goods ? All of a sudden, Thailand is going to have China build some railway lines and other infra-structure projects, and this is called 'selling out to the Chinese'. Surely, such comments are hypocritical ?

If America and Europe were not importing all that Chinese stuff, well, China wouldn't have enough money to buy out Thailand. If people really do think that China is dangerous, they should boycott Chinese goods when they are back home. Yes, that includes those 28 and 32 inch flat screen televisions. And don't you think that marrying Chinese women and taking them back home to America or Europe, well isn't that the same thing as allowing China to take-over the world ?

So, I really do think that reckoning China to be dangerous is silly, and being paranoid.
Okay, people can go ahead and have a giggle over ridiculous and chidish comments about how they shit and piss everywhere. And how they talk loudly, and have terrible table manners. But, let's not have such shit clouding our views regarding China being a dangerous country.

• Like 1

rolleyes.gif

Hello Thai at Heart.

All this talk we're seeing on ThaiVisa about the Chinese take-over of Thailand. Let's look at Thailand right now. We all know that Thailand has been taken over by a Chinese elite. This Chinese elite, they're actually descended from a load of Chinese who came here about a hundred or two hundred years ago.

Now, the junta today are moving Thailand towards China at rapid speed. See, can't it be said, all we're seeing is a new load of Chinese are about to take-over Thailand, the new ones are replacing the existing Chinese as Thailand's new owners.

And the existing Chinese elite who still practically own Thailand. These are the people who support Abhisit's Democrats. The Democrats didn't have a China policy that was as pro-China as Thaksin's or the junta's. Is this because the existing Chinese elite don't want to be replaced by this latest batch of Chinese ?

rolleyes.gif

Happy Boxing Day, and Happy New Year man.

Whilst CP sits on everyone's table, what Thaskin tried to do was to bring a new bunch to the top table and push some of the Thai Chinese old stagers such as the banks and insurance off.

Well, let's look how well that worked out.