If Thai woman has a farang hubbie, does she get derided by other Thais?

Smithwick

The other thing I am struggling with is being the centre of attention everywhere I go. Was cute and flattering at first but sticking my head out my front door to have some Lao Kao swilling deadbeat spitting out farang, farang every time I go out the door is starting to pss me off. As well as young blokes laying about the front of the home across the road watching your every move. Like living in a fish bowl sometimes. Any event we go to seems to include some drunkard opportunist trying to be my best buddy and tell me his life story (in Thai). It does get old. And seems impossible to go to any sort of home party or anything where theres drink without it turning into some sort of fight. Decided now will give these "functions" a miss. Was only thinking this morning how some of you guys get jaded and end up cynical and keeping to yourselves. On the most part I'm lucky my wife's family are mainly teachers and non drinkers and the nicest people you can meet.

Jesus. I'm never leaving Bangkok. Maybe I'd live in Udon as it's pretty built up with plenty of westerners and modern amenities.

Edited by jspill
  • Like 1

Yeah for the most part the people are awesome, the climate is lovely and it's great. NY hear at the moment so a lot more people (and drunks) are here than normal. Had another cultural experience today too. Went and had NY with the neighbour's last night. Wasn't In the mood but they asked us so I made the effort. One of the older thai blokes up.from bangkok, nice guy bought all the grog and genuinely a good bloke. We all had fun. One of the other ladies came over after her drunken <deleted> of a husband went to bed. Lovely lady, works hard and generally treated like a farm animal by her husband. None of my business of course. Any hoo, she had a great time and had too much too drink as we all did. Lady across the road comes over this morning and tells my wife lucky her husband was asleep or if he knew she was at the party would have been a big problem etc and he would have been jealous of me etc. Bare in mind this bloke has the mentality of a 12yo and is known in the moo ban as a serial pest and wife abuser. Now I barely spoke to the woman let alone touched her or flirted. But i would be the main focus of any blame. She had a few drinks and a dance but she was very conservative and behaved. So I tells the missus if that's the case I will be guilty by association in future better we not go drink with them she agreed. The nice old bloke I initially mentioned comes over this afternoon. He's bought a 2l Johnnie red and wants to have a drink with me. My missus says it's a huge thing for a thai to buy a farang a drink and better I go drink with him? <deleted>? Apart from the fact I don't feel like hitting the grog again tonight, the blokes missus is there again because I think last night she probably had one of the best nights of her life, which is more of a reflection on how sad her poor life is rather than what a great party it was. So what do you do? There's no way I can go and have say 2 drinks and come home. The old thai guy seems to think we're married now and I don't want to be around the other lady when the train wreck comes later (and it will)

• Like 1

Yeah for the most part the people are awesome, the climate is lovely and it's great. NY hear at the moment so a lot more people (and drunks) are here than normal. Had another cultural experience today too. Went and had NY with the neighbour's last night. Wasn't In the mood but they asked us so I made the effort. One of the older thai blokes up.from bangkok, nice guy bought all the grog and genuinely a good bloke. We all had fun. One of the other ladies came over after her drunken <deleted> of a husband went to bed. Lovely lady, works hard and generally treated like a farm animal by her husband. None of my business of course. Any hoo, she had a great time and had too much too drink as we all did. Lady across the road comes over this morning and tells my wife lucky her husband was asleep or if he knew she was at the party would have been a big problem etc and he would have been jealous of me etc. Bare in mind this bloke has the mentality of a 12yo and is known in the moo ban as a serial pest and wife abuser. Now I barely spoke to the woman let alone touched her or flirted. But i would be the main focus of any blame. She had a few drinks and a dance but she was very conservative and behaved. So I tells the missus if that's the case I will be guilty by association in future better we not go drink with them she agreed. The nice old bloke I initially mentioned comes over this afternoon. He's bought a 2l Johnnie red and wants to have a drink with me. My missus says it's a huge thing for a thai to buy a farang a drink and better I go drink with him? <deleted>? Apart from the fact I don't feel like hitting the grog again tonight, the blokes missus is there again because I think last night she probably had one of the best nights of her life, which is more of a reflection on how sad her poor life is rather than what a great party it was. So what do you do? There's no way I can go and have say 2 drinks and come home. The old thai guy seems to think we're married now and I don't want to be around the other lady when the train wreck comes later (and it will)

Kenny202:

I admire your adventurous and spontaneous approach to village life, and I think your open-mindedness will serve you well, but I want to caution you about getting too roped into drinking with the local gents in your village. No good will come of this. You will increasingly find yourself being expected to foot the bill for these drinking binges, your wife is not going to appreciate you coming stumbling home at all hours reeking of Lao Khao and Johnnie Walker red, black or whatever, and sooner or later a fight is going to break out which very well might leave you with a facial scar of one sort or another. Becoming a habitual member of a drinking circle of Thai guys may initially leave you congratulating yourself about your exceptional acculturation skills, but truth be told, it's a dead end road.

A far better way to bond with the men in your community is to ask them to be a resource for you by asking them questions about anything you want to know: Thai women, farming, gardening, hunting, farm equipment, child care, automobiles, Thai food, Buddhism, politics, the monarchy, where to buy stuff, how much stuff costs. Maybe even ask them to help you with your Thai. That's a better route to go. Your wife will like it better, and your liver will thank you too. smile.png

Edited by Gecko123

Has it gone over your head?

If you really want to believe that Race and Nationality are the same carry on.

When it comes to racism, if it discriminates against any race or nationality, it is defined as racism.

Same with ethnicity.

Its all social constructs to help you discriminate.

Can you see the forrest for all the trees yet?

If you discriminate, on race or nationality, you are being racist. By definition.

Deal with it.

The dictionary would be what defines words, not you. Stereotyping, prejudice and racism are 3 different words. For example, if you choose to spend all your time with Aussies because you think they are fun and not with Germans because they are serious you are guilty of many things but racism is not one of them.

Kenny202:

I admire your adventurous and spontaneous approach to village life, and I think your open-mindedness will serve you well, but I want to caution you about getting too roped into drinking with the local gents in your village. No good will come of this. You will increasingly find yourself being expected to foot the bill for these drinking binges, your wife is not going to appreciate you coming stumbling home at all hours reeking of Lao Khao and Johnnie Walker red, black or whatever, and sooner or later a fight is going to break out which very well might leave you with a facial scar of one sort or another. Becoming a habitual member of a drinking circle of Thai guys may initially leave you congratulating yourself about your exceptional acculturation skills, but truth be told, it's a dead end road.

A far better way to bond with the men in your community is to ask them to be a resource for you by asking them questions about anything you want to know: Thai women, farming, gardening, hunting, farm equipment, child care, automobiles, Thai food, Buddhism, politics, the monarchy, where to buy stuff, how much stuff costs. Maybe even ask them to help you with your Thai. That's a better route to go. Your wife will like it better, and your liver will thank you too. smile.png

Thanks Gecko. Truth be told I'm not a drinker and have seen enough of Thai men, in the moo ban here at least to know I don't want to drink with them or generally associate with them, less bond with them. I either just pretend I don't understand them now or my wifes standard answer is "he doesn't drink". Sitting in a pub drinking and talking shit about football or cricket in a pub in Australia bores me to tears let alone over here. Not all bad blokes and I thoroughly respect some of the hard working guys who are trying to improve there lot and take care of their families well. Last night was more showing respect to the people next door who invited us over and it just so happened the older Thai guy (who's not a local) was there who is a genuinely nice guy. At first it was important to me to show everybody I didn't think I was special and wanted to be treated differently etc but at the end of the day you're always a farang and best to maintain some mystery and distance I think. Familiarity breeds contempt here for sure. Something simple like one of the woman here seeing me cooking or helping with the washing up and she's back complaining to her husband why he's not more like farang is enough to cause trouble seemingly. I hope I don't get to the stage where I'm totally cynical and wary of everyone.

Anyway sorted out my dilema tonight. Waited until they all sat down for dinner and walked over with a cup of tea, told him how crook I was from last night and spent 20 minutes with him. He was happy as Larry I made the effort and I was back home. Well thought out plan :-)

"For example, if you choose to spend all your time with Aussies because you think they are fun and not with Germans because they are serious you are guilty of many things but racism is not one of them."

Lorn that is exactly what racism is.

Examples for racism
  • Types of bias ethnic or racial bias, including racism, nationalism.
  • Ethnic or racial racism, nationalism, regionalism and tribalism.

Race can be defined (Cambridge) a group of people who share the same language, history, characteristics, etc.

:The British are an island race.

• Like 1

Kenny202:

Thanks Gecko. Truth be told I'm not a drinker and have seen enough of Thai men, in the moo ban here at least to know I don't want to drink with them or generally associate with them, less bond with them. I either just pretend I don't understand them now or my wifes standard answer is "he doesn't drink". Sitting in a pub drinking and talking shit about football or cricket in a pub in Australia bores me to tears let alone over here. Not all bad blokes and I thoroughly respect some of the hard working guys who are trying to improve there lot and take care of their families well. Last night was more showing respect to the people next door who invited us over and it just so happened the older Thai guy (who's not a local) was there who is a genuinely nice guy. At first it was important to me to show everybody I didn't think I was special and wanted to be treated differently etc but at the end of the day you're always a farang and best to maintain some mystery and distance I think. Familiarity breeds contempt here for sure. Something simple like one of the woman here seeing me cooking or helping with the washing up and she's back complaining to her husband why he's not more like farang is enough to cause trouble seemingly. I hope I don't get to the stage where I'm totally cynical and wary of everyone.

Anyway sorted out my dilema tonight. Waited until they all sat down for dinner and walked over with a cup of tea, told him how crook I was from last night and spent 20 minutes with him. He was happy as Larry I made the effort and I was back home. Well thought out plan :-)

It seems though that you are on the way to see it for what it is. Cynical, no ....reality....you seem to be a good guy...good luck...

• Like 2

You are not talking about racism. You are talking about bigotry.

I would expect more from a person that owns bookstores. Perhaps reading some of them might broaden your understanding. There are subtle differences between bias, prejudice and discrimation. All forms of discrimination are categorized under bigotry including race, gender, age etc.

People that discriminate against immigrants are racist regardless if they are just different nationalities, cultures or race.

sdanielmcev:"That contradicts what you've been saying."

You didn't actually read the piece written in yellow did you?

"which he cannot show to be justifiable irrespective of the colour, race, nationality or ethnic or national origins of the person to whom it applied"

sdanielmcev "I know of no country that has successfully defended a definition of racism as other than against a certain race, not culture, class, nationality, etc..."

You apparently have never been to the US or have read the last Thai Constitution.

When I worked for the US government in Washington we all had to take a culture sensitivity training seminar and were informed quite clearly what is defined as racial prejudice.

Not that Wiki is a great source but most other major sources I have read classify it similarly.

Race is a social concept used to categorize humans into large and distinct populations or groups by anatomical, cultural, ethnic, genetic, geographical, historical, linguistic, religious, and/or social affiliation.

• Like 1

Any Thai woman who gets seriously involved with a foreigner has some explaining to do.

To whom, and exactly what the nature of this explanation involves depends almost entirely upon her family's position or their perceived position in the food chain.

The Thai hierarchical system is the key here.

The higher her family's position, the daughter of a doctor or a prominent businessman, the more explaining she will have to do.

The lower her family's position, the daughter of a sam lor driver or a sharecropper, the less explaining she will have to do.

This should be evident to all parties from the outset.

If it is not evident, or if the need for explanation is blurred and obscured primarily by physical attraction and emotion there will be blowback in direct proportion to the woman's family's social standing.

I have heard of Thai fathers and heads of family actually begging and imploring a foreigner to consider abandoning marriage plans.

After a nice lunch another father invited his daughter's boyfriend back to his office.

Over coffee he pulled file folders of three years credit card receipts from his desk drawer, placed them squarely in front of the prospective groom.

He then asked him point blank if he was prepared to take over and support his daughter's shopping habits in addition to the normal responsibilities of raising a family. He added that although he hadn't spoiled his daughters he had always approved of their spending habits as a protection against inappropriate matrimonial choices.

At the other end of the scale we have all heard of entire villages in Thailand's agricultural hinterlands celebrating the good fortune that comes from their daughter landing a farang tuna.

Kind of works like that.

I think you're find it's the other way round. Any poor girl marrying a farang especially older will always be explaining she wasn't a hooker, whether she was or not.

The rich girl will always be assumed they met through work or education or social circles.

I would expect more from a person that owns bookstores. Perhaps reading some of them might broaden your understanding. There are subtle differences between bias, prejudice and discrimation. All forms of discrimination are categorized under bigotry including race, gender, age etc.

People that discriminate against immigrants are racist regardless if they are just different nationalities, cultures or race.

sdanielmcev:"That contradicts what you've been saying."

"which he cannot show to be justifiable irrespective of the colour, race, nationality or ethnic or national origins of the person to whom it applied"

sdanielmcev "I know of no country that has successfully defended a definition of racism as other than against a certain race, not culture, class, nationality, etc..."

You apparently have never been to the US or have read the last Thai Constitution.

When I worked for the US government in Washington we all had to take a culture sensitivity training seminar and were informed quite clearly what is defined as racial prejudice.

Not that Wiki is a great source but most other major sources I have read classify it similarly.

Race is a social concept used to categorize humans into large and distinct populations or groups by anatomical, cultural, ethnic, genetic, geographical, historical, linguistic, religious, and/or social affiliation.

Governments love telling us how to think.

• Like 1

you archaic bigot.

That is the most pleasant thing anybody has said to me on this forum, couldn't be further from the truth, but hey lets not let the truth get in the way of a misdirection.

Right.

Finished trolling then?

My point has been proven already.

Do you still refute it?

People that discriminate against immigrants are racist regardless if they are just different nationalities, cultures or race. sdanielmcev:"That contradicts what you've been saying."

Governments love telling us how to think.
Thats their job. The hint is in the construction of the word.

Govern = control.

Ment = mind.

Race is a social construct.

Nationality bashing falls under the category of racism.

This has been proven already.

Deal with it.

Its amazing how people cant admit they are defending racist ideologies.

If you discriminate someone based on what nation they live or are born in, you are racially discriminating. This fact isnt even supposed to be debated. Its covered by the legal definition, which, in a court, has a higher chance of being taken seriously than some kind of archaic definition that allows bigoted behaviour as an acceptable trait.

Maybe at some time racism did not include nationality bashing. But the world has moved on. Society is trying to evolve here. Maybe its time you did too.

Edited by catmaninoz
  • Like 1

you archaic bigot.

That is the most pleasant thing anybody has said to me on this forum, couldn't be further from the truth, but hey lets not let the truth get in the way of a misdirection.

Right.

Finished trolling then?

Do you still refute it?

Absolutely, I could drive holes through your arguments, but I am a busy guy, and you won't listen, remember the banging head comment.

I have been busy today with another celebratory party, but I will try and give you some responses tomorrow, if you listen.

you archaic bigot.

Right.

Finished trolling then?

Do you still refute it?

Absolutely, I could drive holes through your arguments, but I am a busy guy, and you won't listen, remember the banging head comment.

I have been busy today with another celebratory party, but I will try and give you some responses tomorrow, if you listen.

Dont forget to provide sources that prove nationality bashing is not racism. Official, legal sources, please. Not fellow racist opinions.

Good luck. Aim straight.

Dont forget to provide sources that prove nationality bashing is not racism. Official, legal sources, please. Not fellow racist opinions.

Good luck. Aim straight.

it will likely depend on which country the official sources come from

Good luck. Aim straight.

It took me 15 seconds to find a definition that backs my point. He wont shoot holes in my argument, because he cant.

Of course it depends on which country the source comes from.

The more progressive the legal system, the better.

Edited by catmaninoz
  • Like 1

Good luck. Aim straight.

It took me 15 seconds to find a definition that backs my point. He wont shoot holes in my argument, because he cant.

america appears to agree with him and canada with you

Edited by AYJAYDEE

Good luck. Aim straight.

america appears to agree with you and canada with him

Thanks.

I will take the US legal system over, who? Canadia?

Thanks.

reverse that canada agrees with you and america with him. sorry, i edited my post too late i guess
Then i will take Canadias legal system.

Whichever system backs my point.

Because any system that proves him wrong in that i am "absolutely" wrong will refute his claim.

The only thing absolute here is the lack of ability for someone to see themselves as racist, when by 1st world legal standards, they are being racist.

I myself, am racist, but i can admit it. I am trying to change it. But i am not in denial about it, or even worse, trying to justify it or defending others racist ideologies.

Edited by catmaninoz

Thanks.

reverse that canada agrees with you and america with him. sorry, i edited my post too late i guess
Then i will take Canadias legal system.

Whichever system backs my point.

Because any system that proves him wrong in that i am "absolutely" wrong will refute his claim.

The only thing absolute here is the lack of ability for someone to see themselves as racist, when by 1st world legal standards, they are being racist.

I myself, am racist, but i can admit it. I am trying to change it. But i am not in denial about it, or even worse, trying to justify it or defending others racist ideologies.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/2014/01/05/260006815/the-ugly-fascinating-history-of-the-word-racism

we all are to some degree. tribalism is locked in our DNA and it takes constant awareness to circumvent it

Edited by AYJAYDEE

People that discriminate against immigrants are racist regardless if they are just different nationalities, cultures or race. sdanielmcev:"That contradicts what you've been saying."

Your verbosity only hides your intellectual laziness. There are three races, defined as mongoloid, negroid, and Caucasoid. It's biology, not sociology.

Oh, and if you read that first "yellow square" you will see the point of the article.

Have a nice day.