i just hired a new construction company

mascarabertha

I have a new construction company working for me. They are 30 days into demolition and about to start construction. Daily I get a report with photos, whether or not they've reached their daily goal, what materials are on site, how many workers were present e.g. 1 forman, 1 architect, 4 plasterers. They are young, speak perfect English. Many are on the faculty at CMU.

At the daily report What % of the final goal that they've achieved. I've never experienced anything like this anyplace. They are innovative, well connected, have built hotels in the area as well as a sterile building for Apple computer to construct some gizmos

• Like 1

Do not understand why they should have 4 plasters on site,as you say demolition nearly

finished,and about to start construction, plasters would not be required until the build

is near completion, am i missing something here ?

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

Do not understand why they should have 4 plasters on site,as you say demolition nearly

finished,and about to start construction, plasters would not be required until the build

is near completion, am i missing something here ?

regards Worgeordie

I thought the same thing. Clearly he/she didn't get the 'story' straight before posting.whistling.gif

I would think you would have four plasterers because they can complete the same volume of work three times faster

I believe that the Apple project the OP is talking about is probably the recently completed HANA Microelectronics factory in Lampun, a six hundred million baht factory to produce circuit boards for the new iphone.

I know people at this company, if its the same one who built HANA's place, the Architects, Engineers and Designers are all taken from the top few percent of graduates and contrary to one posters suggestion they all speak pretty perfect English, they also have staff who speak French and German pretty well too.

an example with photos of a daily work report

Goal :
1. REMOVE FLOOR TILE
2. DETAIL CUTTING FOR WALL
3. CLEAR CLEANING FOR THE SECOND FLOOR

First shift : 8.00-12.00
Climate : CLEAR SKY
NO. of worker : 1 FOREMAN 3 WORKER Activities :

WORKER CONTINUE TO REMOVE FLOOR TILE AT THE FIRST FLOOR. SOME WORKER DO DETAIL CUTTING FOR THE SECOND FLOOR.

Second shift : 13.00-17.00
Climate : CLEAR SKY
NO. of worker : 1 FOREMAM / 5 WORKERS Activities :

WORKER COMPLETED TO REMOVE FLOOR TILE AT THE FIRST FLOOR. SOME WORKER COMPLETED DETAIL CUTTING FOR THE SECOND FLOOR. AND CLEARING ALL AT THE SECOND FLOOR

PROBLEM : NONE Material on Site : NONE

NEXT DAY GOAL : (MONDAY)

1.CLEARING ALL FIRST FLOOR
2. PREPARE FOR PLASTERING CEILING AT TH FIRST FLOOR

• Like 1

What difference does daily reports make unless you are paying wages by the hour and materials by the item.

The big change I have seen in the past few years is that contractors are now quoting the job as a whole and even their estimate of the breakdown between labor and materials is rarely accurate if even provided.

Personally, I don't ever understand why anyone would pay 10k baht a day for these crews when the workers are locals making 300-500 a day. Foreman's making 7k baht a day seems a little steep. As long as you are satisfied with the quality, then pay what you want. I spent a long time getting a network of quality builders that charge reasonable prices. 10 years ago I built an addition to my house for 100k baht including everything. My friend hired a crew to do something similar and paid 350k baht. Both have stood up the test of time but now he uses my guys for everything. The only problem is now my guys are pushing 60-70 years old. Hard to find dependable crews that are younger.

I also don't see why you would need any professors at all from engineering or architectural faculties. As for the comment about their English ability, get out more. There are several International programs where all the classes are taught in English. I know of at least 300 professors outside of humanities that communicate and comprehend English quite well.