i just hired a new construction company

mascarabertha

The roof is, from the picture, a slate tile roof, the covering looks like a insulative elastomeric acrylic paint, the new ones claim to reflect 90% of solar radiation.

Having seen pictures of Mascara's other dwellings in his earlier posts on this site I must presume that this house is also constructed in an industrial style and probably has no ceilings and that's why there is a large roof ventilator, am i right?.

Always available the next time anyone wants to take their brain cell out for a stroll :-)

• Like 1

The roof is, from the picture, a slate tile roof, the covering looks like a insulative elastomeric acrylic paint, the new ones claim to reflect 90% of solar radiation.

Having seen pictures of Mascara's other dwellings in his earlier posts on this site I must presume that this house is also constructed in an industrial style and probably has no ceilings and that's why there is a large roof ventilator, am i right?.

Always available the next time anyone wants to take their brain cell out for a stroll :-)

Hi Phrafarang, you must have VERY good eye sight.even to see what

kind of paint has been used.

regards Worgeordie

or maybe its so that you can inspect work they have carried out to your roof without having to climb up there yourself

Exactly. I had the same thing done earlier this year (replace roof of a townhouse) and I remember going through quite some trouble to take a look. (Climb up other building, zoom lens, etc.)

Personally, I don't ever understand why anyone would pay 10k baht a day for these crews when the workers are locals making 300-500 a day. Foreman's making 7k baht a day seems a little steep. As long as you are satisfied with the quality, then pay what you want.

Exactly that. Two years down the line you won't ever think of having paid a bit more. But if the roof leaks then you'll be thinking about that roof again!

That said, 300-500 baht for reasonably skilled workers is a thing of the past too. I think we paid 7000 baht total on labor, so excluding the actual roof materials. Took them two days I think.

What difference does daily reports make unless you are paying wages by the hour and materials by the item.

The big change I have seen in the past few years is that contractors are now quoting the job as a whole and even their estimate of the breakdown between labor and materials is rarely accurate if even provided.

Right, though it's better if you let them quote just on the work including stuff they need to accomplish it such as scaffolding, and then source the main materials yourself.

Right, though it's better if you let them quote just on the work including stuff they need to accomplish it such as scaffolding, and then source the main materials yourself.

Correct if you have some ability to source the materials there can be significant savings and confidence that quality materials are used, but remember that for some folks sourcing materials can become rocket science.

Edited by Dante99

• 2 weeks later...