New Year Event

LawrenceChee

Yes bottles of wine or Black Label....hampers would be nice but make sure not the yellow wrappers type....these are for merit making for temples( just joking ).

Happy New Year...Sawadee Pee Mai...clap2.gif

Hahahha I have bought those for the temple before :) and know the difference but thanks for pointing it out

The Thais are also giving tons of those pre-wrapped gift baskets with birdy chicken essence and bird's nest soup and the like. There are also variety baskets with everything from ovaltine to alcohol depending where you grab one from. It's an easy and nice-looking gesture. personally don't care for hardly anything in most of them, but the Thais seem to love them - already seen pictures of friends receiving n giving them on Facebook. And there wouldn't be heaps of them in the stores if they weren't a desirable gift.

• Like 1

Yeah,that Essence of Chicken is really nasty stuff. Someone gave us a hamper of it once and I a very difficult time figuring out what to do with it. Trying using it like I would chicken broth in cooking, but it has so much sugar in it that it totally trashed out a good cooking pot. Ended up giving the other containers to my Thai teacher who was thrilled.

• Like 2

Lawrence, is there anything from your home country you could bring that would be appropriate. For example, I'm from the U.S. and would put together a hamper with maple syrup, Hershey chocolate, oreos, Pepperidge Farm cookies -- food products from the U.S. that I suspect Thai people would like.

• Like 1

Yeah,that Essence of Chicken is really nasty stuff. Someone gave us a hamper of it once and I a very difficult time figuring out what to do with it. Trying using it like I would chicken broth in cooking, but it has so much sugar in it that it totally trashed out a good cooking pot. Ended up giving the other containers to my Thai teacher who was thrilled.

+1

We were given a huge hamper of the stuff by our neighbor when our child was born. It sat in the kitchen for about 18 months before I opened one jar, tried one teaspoon and threw the rest of the jar away. It was terrible. A few months later I ended up giving the whole thing to our housekeeper who was very grateful. The next day I noticed she had chucked all the jars in the trash bin outside - and kept the hamper. laugh.png

Brands essence of chicken, so popular a gift to keep the "Grands" alive. I did a bit of interweb reading on the product and the marketing is brilliant, there are very few human conditions that it can not cure or enhance... and a whole slew of "scientific studies" performed in China to back up the claims. blink.png

• Like 1

I went partying with a friend and his brother in laws one time

Woke up with a stinking headache so the mother in law says "drink this - hangover cure" and handed me chicken essence

Didn't cure the hangover but did make it seem much better than drinking the chicken essence ;)