Will a new laptop run XP?

HughJass

have seen an Acer laptop with a celeron processor for 8200 baht

i only need it for emails a little youtube and of course Thaivisa

I have an unused XP Home Edition disc with serial number which would save me the 4000 baht that they want for Windows 7

will a modern compter run this outdated operating system?

and no plugs for Linux or Ubuntu please

What is the exact model number of the ACER? From that we can make progress.

Good idea. Worth a try if all of the devices could be ID'd and drivers searched for.

I'm still seriously in doubt that the manufacturer bothered to make drivers for a 12 year old OS that's been abandoned by Microsoft.

I installed Win 7 on my new toshiba and after extensive hunting there was no video driver, ethernet or wireless driver, sound driver etc. for the OS. I even tried the Win 8 drivers but no joy.

I had wiped 8, installed 7, and was using another box to search for drivers. They simply weren't there.

Or just purchase a nice, safe Apple product.

Who would want to run an ancient Unix OS on his computer? biggrin.png

555 biggrin.png

Good one. I hope your cheek recovers soon - you tongue must have been very firmly planted in it tongue.png

For that matter, who would want to rock a phone with an OS based on dated old Unix? Windows phone FTW, LOL.

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

For what your wanting to do just use a free linux, because a browser is a browser on any os. You won't need anti virus dragging on your os. Or just get a phone for 4800 baht and cast it to your tv set for a larger screen when you need it. The last thing you want to do is run XP anymore on anything for any reason.

• Like 1

Install it and find out, it would have been as quick to do that as to wait for replies, that you don't want to hear on here.

Don't use the serial number until you are sure it has all the drivers etc.

But my personal choice would be to run Zorin 9 OS

Edited by steve187
  • Like 1

Will a new laptop run XP?

Maybe, maybe not. There have been a lot of changes in hardware since XP was king. Drivers will be your biggest problem, as most new hardware will not be supported.

If it were me, I would either go with Windows 7 or one of the Linux flavors. For what you want to do, either will work just fine.

I love XP, but even I have to admit that it's day is done.

As others said: maybe, but unlikely.

Quite sure there will be one or the other HW component for which no driver is available.

i only need it for emails a little youtube and of course Thaivisa

For that you need the basic HW drivers incl. display driver and network (WiFi?).

You could operate the laptop with some HW components "dead".

I wouldn't.

And yes: exact model number and one could tell you.

No chance with the vague description "Acer", "Celeron".

Edited by KhunBENQ

avoid Acer at any price i have recently scrapped 2 only 3 year old acer travelmates due to continued unreliablity and mother board problems and the battery life was also pants ,, replaced with lenovo and Asus . i also have a 5 year old totally reliable samsung ....still perfect and battery still giver 5 hours at 5 years amazing !!!

will NEVER buy acer again but yes it will run XP

• Like 1

Another problem -

New hard drives are not NTFS or FAT and only windows 8 or later can load onto them. Forget what the term is.

You can reset (probably I mean re-format) the whole drive then load win 7 or XP but I wouldn't do that since it also wiped the recover data and voided the warranty.

Except I have found win 7 to be a satisfactory replacement for XP but do not like Win 8 at all.

Another problem - New hard drives are not NTFS or FAT and only windows 8 or later can load onto them. Forget what the term is. You can reset (probably I mean re-format) the whole drive then load win 7 or XP but I wouldn't do that since it also wiped the recover data and voided the warranty. Except I have found win 7 to be a satisfactory replacement for XP but do not like Win 8 at all.

If you get a formatted hard drive (in thailand), believe me, it is probably a pirated windows. You may re-format them in any number of ways...including FAT, NTFS, EXT 2,3,4 (Linux). You do this with a startup disk (any number of free ones) or a Live Linux thumb drive You may also Partition new laptop hard drives and run two separate Operating systems. Although it is recommend you first install the older operating system, and then the newer one.

I can load any operating system I please. No Laptops are Exclusively for windows. Put Linux on it if you want...or any earlier version of windows, or a multitude of lesser known operating systems. I play with all of them.

As mentioned before.... It is always a problem for Drivers....whether you are trying to use a newer operating system on an older computer or vice versa. You can sometimes find the right driver if you go to help forums....(not always the manufacturer) and just tell them...."I need an Audio(or video or Graphic or whatever ) Driver for this particular laptop so I can run Windows XP"

XP has nothing going for it. Neither does windows 8. Stick with 7

Microsoft is always trying to hole up all the Piracy on their software...always has. Drivers are one way to phase out piracy.

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 1

Forgot to add this..

Look at VMWare...you install it, say for windows 8, and then it will run any operating system you want, virtually, in RAM. I won't go into it all. If you use this, drivers will not be such a problem...as it does some adjustments for that internally. When you run your Virtual Machine, everything is Sandboxed (protected) from interfering or contaminating your actual operating system.. You can run XP inside that... (or numerous linux distros)

This is a viable solution. and should work. Although your XP may run slower than if it was installed on the Hard Drive.

Another problem - New hard drives are not NTFS or FAT and only windows 8 or later can load onto them. Forget what the term is. You can reset (probably I mean re-format) the whole drive then load win 7 or XP but I wouldn't do that since it also wiped the recover data and voided the warranty. Except I have found win 7 to be a satisfactory replacement for XP but do not like Win 8 at all.

Perhaps referring to GPT partitioning. However, Windows 8 can be installed using either GPT or MBR. Not sure what you mean by not NTFS or FAT on new hard drives as they will be formatted during the install.

• Like 1

Just a word of warning: Do not run XP on your computers any longer unless your future plans for your system is to become a magnet for every hacker in the world looking to exploit individuals like you. Microsoft no longer issues security updates for the XP operating system. Upgrade to Windows 7. Personally, I'm just starting to convert my systems over to Linux and kiss MS goodbye.

If you just want to test Linux, Google how to load something like a Linux Mint ISO on a USB drive and boot from the USB in order to play around with the Linux OS without directly loading it on your hard drive. Best of luck.

Edited by CALSinCM

Gotta disagree with ya.

Normal users have a couple of options:

1. Learn how to configure your own computers. Learn basic terminology, hardware, and software concepts for consumer products; or
  2. Find a competent IT professional who you trust to set up and periodically maintain your system. At least learn the basics of running your Antivirus, defragger, and similar software to keep your system optimized in between visits to your IT technician.

Or ignore all of the above, load Windows XP, and then spend the rest of next year complaining about how your bank accounts and other important web sites have been compromised. Up to you.

avoid Acer at any price i have recently scrapped 2 only 3 year old acer travelmates due to continued unreliablity and mother board problems and the battery life was also pants ,, replaced with lenovo and Asus . i also have a 5 year old totally reliable samsung ....still perfect and battery still giver 5 hours at 5 years amazing !!!

will NEVER buy acer again but yes it will run XP

I really hate the cheap and crappy made Acer notebooks like the devil himself.

But to put an ancient program without having the right drivers (which Windows 7 + automatically does) on a new machine seems to be similar to put bicycle rims on a Harley Davidson to save money....

Seems that you're a CC Huge JAss.

P.S. A CC is somebody who's got a lot of cash, but doesn't want to spend it. -facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

Put the hard disk in another computer as a slave or an external.

Get a command prompt and use diskpart. Use the "clean all" command and totally wipe the disk of all software.

Go to disk management where the disk will show up grayed out. Right click on it and choose "activate." Now right click and choose "create partition." (every disk needs at least one partition.) Now right click and choose "format." As the dialogue boxes appear choose NTFS. Format. If it doesn't default to drive C:, right click and choose "change drive letter."

Done.

Edit. A hard disk is just hardware until someone puts software on it. It's software that activates, partitions, formats, assigns drive letters, etc.

We did this a long time ago but a hard disk is hardware and a hard drive is software put onto that disk. You can partition a physical hard disk into up to 24 partitions and create up to 24 hard drives (hard drive letters) on it.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

Gotta disagree with ya.

Normal users have a couple of options:

1. Learn how to configure your own computers. Learn basic terminology, hardware, and software concepts for consumer products; or
  2. Find a competent IT professional who you trust to set up and periodically maintain your system. At least learn the basics of running your Antivirus, defragger, and similar software to keep your system optimized in between visits to your IT technician.

Or ignore all of the above, load Windows XP, and then spend the rest of next year complaining about how your bank accounts and other important web sites have been compromised. Up to you.

Most good online bank websites utilize their own encryption.... it will be tracking and kelogging viruses/services that may not show up on xp because new antivirus programs may not support detection. Also, the way the ports are handled... Not to mention vulnerability in much of the older softerware, that has already been pirated/hacked and shared on torrent sites.

From what I understand is that you are looking to use your old payed for Windows XP on a new laptop. That laptop which you saw, did it come with an OS? Yesterday I was looking at some laptops here in Hua Hin and found out that some of them have Linux or Ubuntu installed on them. These OSses are for free.

You might as well buy that nice laptop you saw, but are you familiar with installing an OS? You might be better of to look for a second hand laptop that still looks good and is designed for XP.

But save yourself the trouble and forget about XP. It is outdated, unsupported and compared to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 a lot more difficult to install.

There are nice laptops with Windows 8.1. Hasslefree.

Here is a beauty that is sufficient for what you want to do: http://www.lazada.co.th/asus-x200ma-kx241d-116-inch-white-213911.html - costs only 8000 baht. Not great specs, but better then any XP laptop.

There are laptops sold in shops with no Windows installed at all... so no problem about that.

And: a laptop that comes with Windows pre-installed and has a recovery system on it, can be erased. You can format the harddrive. No problem about that. The recovery system is always on another partition. The reason is exactly for that purpose: if you ruin your Windows for any reason, or delete it, you have to be able to get your old system back. You can only do that if it is not on the same partition (it could be affected too).

So, what you are saying is not right.

Anyway, if you start to install any OS system, the installation programm will look for an existing system. Then it will ask you if you want to erase it, create a new partition or install it on another existing partition.

So, you have to go for the first option. Then you have the choice to delete partitions, re-format them into the format your system requires. So far no harm done to the partition with your recovery.

BUT: if you install Ubuntu, Mint or any Linux distribution, you have to be very carefull, as it can erase the entire Harddrive, that includes the partition with the recovery system on it.

But, that wasn't the question anyway.... he asked if he could install his OLD XP on a new laptop.... nothing else. Answer: he can, but probably with the problem of finding the drivers for the new hardware. My recommendation was: forget about it.

Oh and by the way: you don't like Windows 8.1? Maybe you tried Windows 8.0 and didn't like it. Windows 8.1 works faster then Windows 7 and I would never go back to it anymore. If you don't like the tiles (which are in my opinion very nice to use), you can always pretend that you are looking at windows 7 if you stay in the desktop mode... It looks and feels the same. Only under the hood it is superior and improved.