Most friendly region/province in Thailand?

shane

You might be right. Those good muslims might not symphatize with terrorsits, but they don't condemn them either.

I remember during the 70s/80s/90s in the UK, lots of folk used the same (flawed) argument to attempt to justify their bigotry towards the Irish.

Would that be bigotry to ALL Irish - or just those who were blowing up places like Birmingham ?

THE irish signifies all

I remember during the 70s/80s/90s in the UK, lots of folk used the same (flawed) argument to attempt to justify their bigotry towards the Irish.

Would that be bigotry to ALL Irish - or just those who were blowing up places like Birmingham ?

I think you answered your own question there. thumbsup.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_Six

Edited by rajyindee

I'm amazed at how many TV members live in Hat Yai and Songkhla! I've been down there many times and every time I go I hardly ever see another farang - or maybe 5 or 6 over a week's time. Where are you folks hiding? LOL. Sometimes in markets kids will stare at me as I guess the sight of a farang is fairly rare. Nothing wrong with that area. We have family there who always show us a great time when we come. We always go to the beach in Pattani and stay at a resort there. Lots of opportunities in Hat Yai - Songkhla.

I can't believe people are recommending Isaarn as a place to live! I wouldn't live there if you paid me.bah.gif

• Like 1

i have found Khon Kaen the most friendly and Hua Hin the least but i haven't been everywhere. but personally i wouldn't consider friendliness the main factor in deciding where to live. i love living in Phuket but no one would call it friendly.

Khon Kaen was a lot friendlier 10-20 years ago, but still the best for me.

Mahasarakham or Roi Et are now what KK used to be.

Nowhere down South.

Lopburi/Singburi/Saraburi very friendly and most beautiful girls,

Chiang Mai/Rai, too many old farang but friendly Thais.

Nong kai is nice.

Chaiapoom

Sukhothai.

This is your opinion and thats just what i was looking to hear(peoples opinions). Thanks for this post it has been one of the best so far !

I lived in Udorn Thani in 1990 and it sucks.

Second wife from Udorn in 2010 and it still sucks. The language is next to impossible for me. Conversely when I worked in Laos I could handle the language. My mother in law can only speak Esan and for sure I can't understand her. I did study at AUA for 1 year and I get by OK.

In Chiang Rai in the villages the language is a mixture of Lana and Esan and next to impossible for me.

• Like 1

I lived in Udorn Thani in 1990 and it sucks.

Second wife from Udorn in 2010 and it still sucks. The language is next to impossible for me. Conversely when I worked in Laos I could handle the language. My mother in law can only speak Esan and for sure I can't understand her. I did study at AUA for 1 year and I get by OK.

In Chiang Rai in the villages the language is a mixture of Lana and Esan and next to impossible for me.

Can you be more specific, What was it about Udon Thani that you didn't like?

I disliked the language barrier first. Second there was absolutely nothing there that I enjoyed. I missed being able to go to buy things that I needed. I must say that the people were very nice but I needed more than that. At that time I was working for a New Zealand company on a project in Vientiane, Laos to build a small scrap based steel mill there. When I finished my work I returned to Bangkok. Although I have worked in 9 provinces I kept a residence on Silom Road for 30 years. Udorn women do make good wives.

Udorn is a lot different now with big stores, hotels and a lot of things that are available. My attitude is still the same, I cannot relate or communicate with Esan village people. My wife comes from Baan Chiang in Udorn 70 km from town. It is no place for me. My life in the foothills of Doi Hang in Chiang Rai was planned for 28 years because of the quality of life here. Although I enjoy visiting Chiang Mai from time to time under no circumstances would I want to live there. It has fallen the way Phuket has. A lot of this is in my book called Merchant Of the Orient, An Entrepreneur's Journey in life. My mission started when I was 13 years old.

• Like 1

Deep muslim south: I would not even consider to visit let alone live there.

Obviously never been in Satun: bliss, at least, when I stayed there. Very little farang. Close to Malaysia (practical). Close to (once) great islands. Quite & chilled-out. People not really interested in you either. Live and let live. Bliss...

• Like 1

Deep muslim south: I would not even consider to visit let alone live there.

Obviously never been in Satun: bliss, at least, when I stayed there. Very little farang. Close to Malaysia (practical). Close to (once) great islands. Quite & chilled-out. People not really interested in you either. Live and let live. Bliss...

One thing i have noticed in the South is that people are not interested in you much, as opposed to Isaan. Which can be a good thing if you get annoyed with Thai people approaching you to talk or just staring. Or it can be construed as people not being as friendly.

I personally enjoy engaging with locals, after many years of learning Thai i feel this is one of the most enjoyable things about living here.

I disliked the language barrier first. Second there was absolutely nothing there that I enjoyed. I missed being able to go to buy things that I needed. I must say that the people were very nice but I needed more than that. At that time I was working for a New Zealand company on a project in Vientiane, Laos to build a small scrap based steel mill there. When I finished my work I returned to Bangkok. Although I have worked in 9 provinces I kept a residence on Silom Road for 30 years. Udorn women do make good wives.

Udorn is a lot different now with big stores, hotels and a lot of things that are available. My attitude is still the same, I cannot relate or communicate with Esan village people. My wife comes from Baan Chiang in Udorn 70 km from town. It is no place for me. My life in the foothills of Doi Hang in Chiang Rai was planned for 28 years because of the quality of life here. Although I enjoy visiting Chiang Mai from time to time under no circumstances would I want to live there. It has fallen the way Phuket has. A lot of this is in my book called Merchant Of the Orient, An Entrepreneur's Journey in life. My mission started when I was 13 years old.

Why would anyone want to read about a man who has lived all over Thailand for 30 years plus worked in Laos and can'r understand the language in Udon Thani? These days in Udon most people speak Thai.

My mother in law still does not speak Thai. If you get into the depth of Udorn villages you will find that E-san is still the language of choice. E-san is a farmers language that is mixed between Lao and some version of Thai. The language is not taught in Thai schools. Almost all young Thai people now can speak the central Thai language. Thailand has over 22 different ethnic groups whose languages is their own. I have served my time in a village of Udorn and will never return. However, I understand that most farangs living there have been dragged there by their E-san wives so they can communicate in their native tongue. be around their families and have a big face for themselves in their village. IF YOU LIKE IT THERE MAKE THE BEST OF IT. YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND WHAT IS AROUND YOU! The language is just a single issue. Culture is more of an issue.

In Satun, Thai is not the language. It is a mixture of Ya We, Malay and some Thai. If you have mastered this language and it makes you enjoy life there then I take my hat off to you. However, the complexity of this local language would take a life time to speak and understand.