Isp Proxies

PMK

ISP proxies

I am bit puzzled by this. Some web site show my IP as proxy.ji-net.com [203.147.0.44] (ji-net.com is vaild. That is the domain name of my ISP, Jasmine Internet) . Others like dnsstuff.com show it as my actual IP, for example, 203.156.42.237. Why would different sites identify it differently - some as the proxy server and some not?

Thanks,

Peter

It's possible that Ji-net's proxy is working properly (however unusual this would be :o )

Normally only static, non changing pages should be cached by the proxy. News websites, forums, etc for obvious reasons should not be cached.

Part of this is accomplished by the coders of the websites (you can force a browser only to take a page from the net and not from explorer's cache for example, the proxy will also act on this code), and even there is no such code, the smart software running the proxy should differentiate between these different kind of websites and act accordingly...

Hence you might see some different IP's detected by websites...

ISP proxies

I am bit puzzled by this. Some web site show my IP as proxy.ji-net.com [203.147.0.44] (ji-net.com is vaild. That is the domain name of my ISP, Jasmine Internet) . Others like dnsstuff.com show it as my actual IP, for example, 203.156.42.237. Why would different sites identify it differently - some as the proxy server and some not?

Thanks,

Peter

Well-behaved proxies (and most of them are, yes, even in Thailand :o ) should add a header to the HTTP requests they forward, showing the actual IP address of the client that made the request.

Some sites are smart enough to check that header and thus dig out your real IP, some blindly report the IP address originating the IP connection.

--Lannig