Russian economic crisis hits Pattaya, Phuket

webfact

Good news for me...now I don't have to worry about these folks cutting in on a long line at the Food Court or the movies.....grinds my gears.....?

On a side note....I've noticed that the Russians who are still in town have down-sized.....instead of doing the stagger up my Soi with a 700 ml bottle, they have been doing the same, same with small can or bottle..lol.?

• Like 1

The hotel prices for this period are ridiculously high. I wanted to stay at decent hotels but either there were fully booked or the price was too high. I am not surprised that their occupancy dropped a lot. And Russians that visit right now seem to be a a decent flock, better than the Chinese one.

Well thats typical thai thinking Raise the prices and then not rent at all. Ive seen many times before in Phuket. Thats why a beer in Phuket is same as anywhere in the world(at a bar that is).

What a joke. So glad i rent and didn't buy.

A few less Russians could be a good thing. Ever noticed the state of beaches every morning littered with alcohol bottles, rubbish and cigarette butts.

And of course the littering was done by the Russians??

Not the Swedes, the Dutch or ,God forbid, the Brits ?

We stayed at the Ambassador City resort in Jomtien. Everything was written in Russian, the Thai staff greeted you in Russian, the businesses down stairs were operated by Russian and we never heard another guest speak English, I would say 99.9% of the guests were Russians. There would be hundreds on the beach every night drinking being loud and pretty much intoxicated. The next morning I would go for a walk around 5 a.m and the beach was totally littered with garbage and thais would be running around cleaning up and raking the sand

• Like 1

Less Russians.... Gotta be good News.. clap2.gif

I live full-time in Pattaya. An economic downturn is not something I would applaud, regardless of the cause.

Less tax collected. Fewer improvements to infrastructure.

Less revenue earned for locals from tourism. Less money spent by them.

Less sometimes has a negative effect overall.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The Russians have chosen an other destination, as numbers show the travel agencies in Russia showing no changes in travelers.

This people know exactly what dictatorship and military ruling ! This is why they will not choose a destination with martial law in place.

The only ones responsible for les economics and tourism was at first Suthep and now the Junta.

Outbound travel from Russian is increased by 23 % to $ 14.8 million.

The five most popular destinations in the period from January to September were Turkey ( 2.7 million , + 20% ), Egypt ( 1.4 million , 17 %) , Greece ( 1.1 million , 69 %) , Spain ( 887,1 thousand , 29 ), China ( 787.2 thousand , -20% ),

Totally wrong .I saw a report on the BBC saying Russians are mostly staying at home for Holidays now ,as their currency is worth less than 40% of its value in a year .

A few less Russians could be a good thing. Ever noticed the state of beaches every morning littered with alcohol bottles, rubbish and cigarette butts.

We stayed at the Ambassador City resort in Jomtien. Everything was written in Russian, the Thai staff greeted you in Russian, the businesses down stairs were operated by Russian and we never heard another guest speak English, I would say 99.9% of the guests were Russians. There would be hundreds on the beach every night drinking being loud and pretty much intoxicated. The next morning I would go for a walk around 5 a.m and the beach was totally littered with garbage and thais would be running around cleaning up and raking the sand

Didn't do your due diligence properly then. Ambassador City compares to any brit occupied all inclusive Magaluf resort. Low prices and plenty of booze attracts this type of clients.

Try Royal Cliff next time and see if you have the same experience there.

The Russians have chosen an other destination, as numbers show the travel agencies in Russia showing no changes in travelers.

This people know exactly what dictatorship and military ruling ! This is why they will not choose a destination with martial law in place.

The only ones responsible for les economics and tourism was at first Suthep and now the Junta.

Outbound travel from Russian is increased by 23 % to $ 14.8 million.

The five most popular destinations in the period from January to September were Turkey ( 2.7 million , + 20% ), Egypt ( 1.4 million , 17 %) , Greece ( 1.1 million , 69 %) , Spain ( 887,1 thousand , 29 ), China ( 787.2 thousand , -20% ),

And silly me was thinking that it was all because the rouble has tanked. Russians, like every other tourist, don't give a damn who is running the country.

You don't read all... The outbound travel from Russia has increased by 23 %.

So i guess you are silly.

Less Russians.... Gotta be good News.. clap2.gif

I live full-time in Pattaya. An economic downturn is not something I would applaud, regardless of the cause.

Less tax collected. Fewer improvements to infrastructure.

Less revenue earned for locals from tourism. Less money spent by them.

Less sometimes has a negative effect overall.

Don't forget it will increase the petty crime.

Didn't do your due diligence properly then. Ambassador City compares to any brit occupied all inclusive Magaluf resort. Low prices and plenty of booze attracts this type of clients.

wasn't that cheap by thai standards, we paid 4,900B per night (approx. $190AUD)

wasn't that cheap by thai standards, we paid 4,900B per night (approx. $190AUD)

That's what you paid. The russian package travelers pay considerably less, hardly leave Na Jomtien and do their drinking at the so called "private beach" as opposed to downtown Pattaya.

So, the largest single group of tourists will be down significantly in 2015 and tourism is still expected to grow 13%? Interesting logic.

The Thais complained about Russian tour guides taking their jobs. You have your wish. No more tour guides. Happy now?

Thailand needs the reality check thats about to smack them right in the face. When tourism is down 10% in 2015 on this years lower number, shit's gonna get real.

Then watch them blame and panic.

• Like 1

Yes, now all that can been seen are the plastic bags, paper plates with half-eaten local crap and fast-food leftovers left behind by the locals at the end of their day on the beach.

• Like 1

Funny I have not read about China losing their tourism from Russia? Perhaps this is just another blame brought on by TAT for their excuses. I know Russia has some financial troubles. But this is not affecting the new tourist's that cone here

Let me dumb this down for you. The Ruble has lost about 50% in value over the last year. That means the foreign holiday for Russians has doubled in price.

So let me dumb this up for you! Other countries in Asia have not commented on a loss of Russian tourists

Funny I have not read about China losing their tourism from Russia? Perhaps this is just another blame brought on by TAT for their excuses. I know Russia has some financial troubles. But this is not affecting the new tourist's that cone here

Let me dumb this down for you. The Ruble has lost about 50% in value over the last year. That means the foreign holiday for Russians has doubled in price.

Yep thats the answer. Nail on the head..

• Like 1

my sense is overall tourist number for the winter months are up year on year. A lot more Chinese tourists and other Asians. I suspect most locations in Thailand are up, maybe with exception of Pattaya.

Well right now its hard to get a hotel in Pattaya without advance reservation. Booked up!