Lesbian friendly establishments in Chiang Mai?

Caitrin

Myself and my traveling companion (also a queer lady, but we're just buddies) are going to be spending four days in Chiang Mai and would like to know what lesbian friendly establishments are in the city. We don't really want to invade any gay male spaces, nor do we want to be merely tolerated in a mostly gay male space. We're cool with mixed queer environments, but we want to go where our presence is actually appreciated.

Ideas?

--Cat

• Like 1

I haven't been to CM for a long time, but haven't heard of any lesbian hangouts in the city. You may be reduced to deciding between a gay venue and being ignored or a straight venue and being pestered!

Hopefully we have some CM folks or recent visitors who can guide you in the right direction.

Best of luck. I hope you have a nice time. CM is lovely this time of the year.

Well, I just answered your question in the Chiang Mai forum, but since you've given a little more info here, some more general comments.

Firstly, from my observations, Chiang Mai has lots of young Thai lesbian girls and tomboys so like minded company shouldn't be too hard to find. The problem with the so called gay scene is that it caters only for the older grey gale males, and prostitution is prevelant in many places. There are few Thai gay bars, most of the younger gay Thais I know happily go to straight bars (if there is such a thing in Chiang Mai). But, they don't go to places like the Night bazaar and around Thapae gate. The best areas to go are perhaps Nimmanhaemin road, Santitham and JJ Market but hard to recommend specific bars, just wander round and see where looks the most interesting places/customers.

You might enjoy Tawan Deang, the big country music club off Nimmanhaemin or Ta Chang Cafe at JJ Market. But these are both very Thai style so might not suit first time visitors. The new Think Park, or the roof top bars at Maya mall might be interesting too