SOS call point for tourists in trouble opens in Phuket

webfact

SOS call point for tourists in trouble opens in Phuket
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1419929679_1-org.jpg
A policeman takes a look at the new machine.

PHUKET: -- The island’s first automatic information machine, known as an “SOS Call Point”, has been installed in Patong in front of the Banthai Beach Resort & Spa.

Kathu police hope the SOS Call Point will make tourists feel safer in the high season because it allows them to inform police about incidents without first having to go to the police station or find a patrol officer.

Pol Lt Col Pongpichan Chayanonpirai of Kathu Police Station told The Phuket News, “If it works for tourists [in Patong], we will recommend that other machines be installed at other beaches in Phuket.”

“The system is similar to calling the emergency 191 hotline, but it is a video call. Whenever a tourist has a problem with a criminal situation, they can inform a policeman by SOS.

The system, which is funded by the private sector, will then alert the 191 call centre in Phuket Town. Once a policeman in the area receives information from the call centre, he will go directly to the SOS Call Point.

“The SOS Call Point is equipped with CCTV which can record activities in the area. A camera will also record the faces of people who use the Call Point.”

He added that even in a blackout it will work; it has a backup battery.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/sos-call-point-for-tourists-in-trouble-opens-in-phuket-50368.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-12-30

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

To avoid the machine getting vandalized, the need a cop to guard it!!

So what is the point??

"Excuse me Mr robber, could you please step aside, so I can get to the SOS-call-point"

Well ultimately the system should have a regular checking system, to prove that it's working, at least once every day.

The local cops would surely be the people who should have the responsibility to do this check. After all they should be regularly in areas

like this doing normal patrols.

It would also prove that they are actually doing something legitimate for at least a few minutes each day.

Hope it helps, but I'll give it a week before it's stolen, broken or both. It reminds me of the county fair, when I was about 8 years old. They had a chicken in a glass cage. When you put a nickel in , food would drop out, and the chicken would wake up and play a few notes on a piano. After it played the piano and ate the food, it went back to being a sleepy chicken.

Edited by Shot

It's based in Patong but calls the call centre in Phuket town.

Why not just link to direct to Patong Police station and save crucial time?

You would think, and that makes a lot of sense,

however there is "no sense" in thai logic.

cctv recording the complainant, so they know who to send the henchmen rtp out to get them, another baht making scheme, you know the 1 assailant pulls gun on you takes your money beats shit out of you, cctv shows you all beat up, so when they catch them you started it, thai would not do that your fined once again stupid falang. Whatever clap2.gifclap2.gif