Police Seek Witnesses To Double Fatality

george

Police seek witnesses to double fatality

RAWAI: Police are keen to interview anyone who may have witnessed a collision between a car and a motorbike that killed a British tourist and his Thai girlfriend on Wiset Rd, Rawai, on Sunday night.

Killed were Briton Scott Tristan Watkins, 33, and Sasithorn Kaewyai, also 33, from Buri Ram.

The following day, the driver of the Misubishi Pajero involved in the crash was charged with driving carelessly and later released after relatives paid 100,000 baht bail.

Pol Maj Jessada Sangsure, of Chalong Police Station, told the Gazette that the collision took place about 11 pm, about 200 meters north of the Phuket Sea Shell Museum.

Mr Watkins and K. Sasithorn were declared dead on arrival at Wachira Hospital in Phuket City.

“We will continue to gather evidence,” Maj Jessada said. “If anyone has information about the collision, they should contact police.”

K. Sasithorn’s younger sister, Nithira “Lek” Kaewyai, told the Gazette that her sister and Mr Watkins headed out for a ride about 6 pm last Sunday on the rented motorbike.

“I’d like to see justice done because my sister has two daughters, aged 10 and two, who have to be cared for,” she added.

The British Embassy is arranging the repatriation of Mr Watkins’ body while K. Sasithorn’s body was taken for the cremation on Wednesday.

--Phuket Gazette 2004-03-19

I knew both of these people, it was a doctor, who was overtaking on the wrong side of the road and smashed into them - the girl went through the windscreen and he was mangled - very sad, his father arrives today, to take his son home.

I am told that donations to the girls family (kids), can be made at the freedom bar (not sure where that is) in Chalong?Rawai?

It is always very sad when folk die like this, I know the area very well and this road is a well know black spot, it frightens me every time I drive down it, especially around the market area where people just pull out on you without regard.

More road skill education and more speed traps would help, but sadly wont help these two souls...

Basher

Well unfortunately for me I know a lot about this sad incident.

The girl Seeton as we call her was my wifes cousin and orginally came to Phuket because of us. I still have her two sisters and father staying with me (asleep downstairs).

What makes this interesting is that the police told her family that Scott was to blame and to claim compensation from his family. It wasn't until we got a local lawyer involved and the press that police came up with this story. The poiceman quoted in the newspaper told Seeton's father that Scott was on the wrong side of the road and the guy involved also told them this and was very concerned about the damage to his Mitsubishi. (to$$er).

Apparently two policeman attended the accident, one local senior officer (born in Phuket) and one new guy from Issan. The local guy obvoiusly knew the killer, sorry other driver therefore told the family that the farang was to blame. Nice Mr. Isaan policeman took the family to one side and told them that this Thai guy was on the wrong side of the road and suggested the family contacted the ant-corruption police in BKK, even gave them the address. Anyway at my suggestion they contacted a local lawyer,who to be honest has been a real star.

A few thing are missing from the press, poor old Scott only arrived that day. All their valuables went missing after the smash - modile phones, cash etc.

Anyway for anyone that is interested the Freedom Bar for donations is on Rawai Beach and in itself is pretty cool.

As for the rest of the story I will keep you informed via this thread. All I can say at the moment is we have a very good local lawyer and we will not give up. We may only be one farang and a group of rice and coffee farmers but we will fight.

I would like to thank the Phuket Gazette for extracting some truth from the Chalong Police and to warn anyone that may wish to threaten the saftety of Seetons family because of this case, they are not scared - you do your worst and we will do our best.

Sorry if this sounds a bit emotional but when two children are left without a mother and some t$ats only concern is the repair of his car, well you know what I mean - plus we've had a fair few Changs tonight.

Take Care.

• 6 years later...

It would be interesting to know how this tragic story panned out. It does however highlight the failure of the media in following up on any news like this. Murder & mayhem get front page coverage when it happens but we hardly ever get to know what happened to the perps or if the victim's family were fairly compensated.

barka, this thread is over 6 years old!

making a point about how long he has been here (again)?

You guys just cannot stop sniping at each other, even in a very tragic topic.Even if it is over 6 years old.

Far be it for be to comment on moderation, but the topic is "Police Seek Witnesses To Double Fatality".

I'd say after six years, the witnesses are slim and none, and slim for sure has left town.

My post was an atempt at humor, as in another thread the "sniping" I thought was pretty funny, as it often is.

But the real questions remain, why did barka dig this up, and why wasn't it shut down as "expired news"?

Edited by grumpyoldman

Well perhaps Valentine or stevenl could pm member phuket Mike and inquire. There's no way any of the local media will have a clue as to the outcome just as in 99% of the cases here.

Which is exactly what Valentine and I are saying. The follow up by the media is lousy.

Edited by stevenl

Well perhaps Valentine or stevenl could pm member phuket Mike and inquire. There's no way any of the local media will have a clue as to the outcome just as in 99% of the cases here.

Which is exactly what Valentine and I are saying. The follow up by the media is lousy.

The reason the media do not follow up on the outcome of these incidents is because everyone already knows the outcome.

Farang involved - his fault - he pay and/or go to gaol.

Same result everytime. Hardly news worthy. :) :) :) :)

The reason the media do not follow up on the outcome of these incidents is because everyone already knows the outcome.

First of all that is not true. And if it were true, it would be a reason more for the media to follow up and bring that to light.

First of all that is not true. And if it were true, it would be a reason more for the media to follow up and bring that to light.

"If farang not come Thailand - accident not happen. Farang fault - he have to pay."

"If farang not come Thailand - accident not happen. Farang fault - he have to pay."

Utter nonsense.

Utter nonsense.

Really. What about the farang who parked his pick-up truck outside his place, went inside and went to sleep. In the early hours of the morning, a young Thai girl runs into his PARKED pick-up truck and kills herself. He (THE FARANG) went to gaol. I believe he got out recently.

Really. What about the farang who parked his pick-up truck outside his place, went inside and went to sleep. In the early hours of the morning, a young Thai girl runs into his PARKED pick-up truck and kills herself. He (THE FARANG) went to gaol. I believe he got out recently.

He was parked illegally. ;)

If that is the best example you can comr up with you have proved our point.

Utter nonsense.

Yeah bit of urban legend that. I was told and believed this when I first came to Thailand, and I'm not saying it hasn't been tried, but between myself and several friends or family here visiting on holiday having had several accidents involving Thai's over the years, I know now this is not true.

It's interesting and I think important to realize where this urban legend comes from. If a "wealthy" Thai has an accident with a poor Thai, it is customary for the wealthy Thai to pay for repairs and hospital bills. Wealthy Thai's complain about this often. The disparity in classes is wide here, and the repair and medical bills to a wealthy Thai are often insignificant, but may be months of salary for a farmer/laborer/fruit seller/shop-house merchant/whatever. The wealthy Thai is usually willing, as it is in line with the concept of "making merit" in Thai Buddhist culture. For the same to be expected of a wealthy, or perceived wealthy farang, well it can easily appear simply as "farang must pay."

It's interesting and I think important to realize where this urban legend comes from. If a "wealthy" Thai has an accident with a poor Thai, it is customary for the wealthy Thai to pay for repairs and hospital bills. Wealthy Thai's complain about this often. The disparity in classes is wide here, and the repair and medical bills to a wealthy Thai are often insignificant, but may be months of salary for a farmer/laborer/fruit seller/shop-house merchant/whatever. The wealthy Thai is usually willing, as it is in line with the concept of "making merit" in Thai Buddhist culture. For the same to be expected of a wealthy, or perceived wealthy farang, well it can easily appear simply as "farang must pay."

That's exactly correct and very well explained in just one paragraph. Thank you SB.

Utter nonsense.

Yeah bit of urban legend that. I was told and believed this when I first came to Thailand, and I'm not saying it hasn't been tried, but between myself and several friends or family here visiting on holiday having had several accidents involving Thai's over the years, I know now this is not true.

Thanks for sharing your insight in Thai culture. I totally agree in what you say, and this was usually how things where done until like 5-10 years ago. Upper class thais and farang got/took the blame and payed.

However Thailand is in change, and Insurancecompanies are no longer willing to pick up the bills if their insured vehicle is not to blame. Nowadays it is very unusual to be blamed by Police if they can not prove you are at fault, even if you are farang. Farang not causing accident, have valid drivers license and is sober has in general nothing to fear.

Having proper 3rd party Insurance on your vehicle, thats not the compulsory 3rd party medical Insurance covering next to nothing, your Insurancecompnay will usually assist you to not be blamed.

Like others, I read this post assuming it had happened a few days ago..... Why was it resurrected after so long, bearing in mind the poster that did so is not updating us with the outcome?

Four years ago my husband and I were involved in an accident that wrote off our (rented) car, without much damage to the other car driven by a Thai - long story!

We got in touch with our insurers immediately as it was the other guy's fault, but even though the police were v sympathetic to us - not the other driver - our insurance guy didn't seem v interested and eventually the police told us if we didn't accept responsibility, the other 'driver' (the actual driver pretended he was a passenger!) would take us to court.

As we hadn't been here long and had more serious problems (finding our dog that had run away after the accident), I persuaded my husband to let it go - even though he was more than happy to let them take us to court.

The police weren't prepared to blame us, but the insurance guy obviously had no problem blaming the farang....

Could it be that your insurer did not agree with your assessment of guilt, and was convinced that you were to blame?

Insurance companies don't just pay money for fun, they try to avoid that as much as they can (many other threads about that). So if they paid, they did deem you guilty.