Purchasing a moped. Tourist.

flashpanther

Hi guys,

Doing some research. Considering a surprise purchase of a moped for fiancée when I next visit end of Jan. She'll probably tell me no and to save money. But hey ho. No harm researching and looking in case.

Can I register the purchase in my name? I will be on the 30 day tourist visa. Only be 11 days in Amnat Charoen area. Commuting and time elsewhere for few nights here and there for 7 days split either side of those 11.

My fiancée is Laotian. So easier registering in my name I think.

Please can anyone help regards to this and if possible.

Wish there was a guide and video how to does on this subject. 555

I've read the Honda Wave do seem popular.

The Lifan Ares (new) has caught my eye as very good value.

Prefer a new purchase for warranty and ease of purchase.

Any help and recommendation appreciated.

Especially if regards to purchase in Amnat Charoen (Ubon Ratchathani also possible via travel).

Thanks anyway. Stuck with research so far.

Andy

You will need a certificate of residency from your local immigrations office.

It will depend on your local office if they will provide you with one on a visa exempt stamp.

Same goes with your Laotian GF.

Well that sounds like I have wasted past 7 hours looking into scooters, helmets, makes, dealers etc. on internet.

I will be on a tourist visa and fiancée is Lao :(

It will depend on your local office if they will provide you with one on a visa exempt stamp.

Well that sounds like I have wasted past 7 hours looking into scooters, helmets, makes, dealers etc. on internet.

I will be on a tourist visa and fiancée is Lao sad.png

It will depend on your immigrations office.

Here on Samui they will produce a certificate on a visa exempt stamp.

• Like 1

I will be on a tourist visa and fiancée is Lao sad.png

It will depend on your immigrations office.

Here on Samui they will produce a certificate on a visa exempt stamp.

I understand now. That's the visa exempt stamp a UK tourist gets on entering.

I'll try at Ubon Ratchathani immigration office and Amnat Charoen office.

I can take the Thai housebook that my Laos fiancée Thai daughter is in.

Otherwise I'll have to go second hand. Get something cheap.

Anyone got recommendations for new moped or a good discounted second hand one.

Looking at 110cc. Electric starter. Manual gear.

Can't go wrong with the Honda Wave. Tough little bikes.

I personally wouldn't purchase a second hand scooter in LoS (with a possible exception of a super low km one that somebody defaulted on loan payments). Maintenance isn't a high priority and that could come back to bite you in the ass.

• Like 1

Can't go wrong with the Honda Wave. Tough little bikes.

I personally wouldn't purchase a second hand scooter in LoS (with a possible exception of a super low km one that somebody defaulted on loan payments). Maintenance isn't a high priority and that could come back to bite you in the ass.

Yeah them Honda Waves do seem to be the popular choice. My preference for purchasing new is on the same reasoning. Guess it will all be down to whether I can get a residency certificate.

Yeah them Honda Waves do seem to be the popular choice. My preference for purchasing new is on the same reasoning. Guess it will all be down to whether I can get a residency certificate.

I know the US embassy will issue one; perhaps you should check at the British embassy?

Costs me 35USD.

I know the US embassy will issue one; perhaps you should check at the British embassy?

Costs me 35USD.

Confused now (or you are?!?). Thought the Thai residency certificate would have to be issued by a Thai immigration office

Costs me 35USD.

Confused now (or you are?!?). Thought the Thai residency certificate would have to be issued by a Thai immigration office

Nope. I've used the certificate from the US embassy to get licensed. Pretty simple.

• Like 1

Seems like the certificate is just paperwork and a formality. The embassy will pay a local to send a batch off to get signed off.

Think I'll leave my motorcycle search for now. Will try to get a residency certificate when I get to Amnat Charoen as have a car rental for a week. Not sending £50 for a bit of paper that lasts only 30 day. Rather get it from Thai officials for free to a nominal fee. If successful I'll look into a new bike at the various nearby dealers.

Anyone have any experience of purchasing a moped/scooter in Thailand and what the process involved and timescales?

Once you have res/cert, go down to Honda showroom with ~45,000baht and pick out a nice color Wave 110i.

Presto!

You now are owner of the most popular motor vehicle on the planet.

(Mag wheels are best, that model comes with e-start too)

You may want to get 2 res/certs while you are at it and get a Thai drivers license.

These topics (purchase & DL) been discussed thoroughly is previous threads, so you can search this forum.

Smartest purchase you will ever make.

Go for it.

Thanks Papa. Will look into both.

Thanks for the recommendation on the bike.

So I can collect the bike the same day?

Hopefully the registration of the vehicle will not take long as I would only probably be present by that stage a few more days in Amnat Charoen.

Yes if successful I'll get 3 copies of residency certification to avoid having to unexpectedly go back lol.

Cheers.

Honestly didn't think at one point I'd be able to get a residency certificate with only being a tourist.

That's brilliant news to hear.

I'm gonna get on to my Fiancee's Thai sister in Holland who I believe owns the home in Thailand where I stay. She can write a letter of my permission for residence there for application I guess.

Still got hold of Thai misses Tabien Ban I think but that is for Laos. Doh! Hopefully a letter is okay. Unless misses has the tabien ban with her eldest Thai daughter on.

I can understand the superstition with ghosts and wanting new.

I want to keep this a surprise from my fiancée till I get back in Isaan and after trying to get the residency certificate and being successful. Knowing her she'll tell me she doesn't want a moped and to save it for her visa to UK. 555.

We've borrowed a few motorcycles from village neighbours or extended family. Remember one that was a pain to start with a kick start. I'd def want an electric start lol.

Anyone paid by card for a bike, rather than cash?

I must add i paid 1000 THB for TWO certificates of residence...

I am an Ayatolla when it comes to motor maintenance and i regret i didnt hear Papa Al's piece of advice before as for changing the oil after a few days...

I sticked to the book and did the first oil change at 1000kms.

The only drawback about the Wave is the absence of owner's manual in english... Any news on this front?

• Like 1

Flashpanther, many many many thanks!!!

I spent a lot of time looking for this a few years ago! I had given up!

Its downloaded already, i am looking forward to reading this in bed tonight!

I paid cash, i dont know about credit cards.

I would suggest you do the same to keep it simple, it is not such a big amount of money.

Edited by nelson bunker
  • Like 1

Residence certificate from Thai immigration is about 10 times cheaper than a Embassy one, hell I didn't even knew you could get one from the Embassy until now, lol.

Why not buy a used Wave, I bought 3 used ones over the years here and never had any problems, expect a dirty carb but that was fixed for 100 baht.

Yes e-start and FI is the way to go.

If something goes wrong on the used Wave you will max spend app 5000 baht and you are good to go again.

I don't use the Waves anymore since I live in Pattaya, so prefer auto scooters, they are also very sturdy nowadays and no chain to adjust/lubricate.

• Like 2

This conversation must involve everyone but an American. In the U.S., we remember what a moped was. It actually had pedals like a bicycle to get it started moving, and then the engine kicked in. There is no way that you can call the motorbikes in Thailand a moped, unless it is just slang for motorbike in your home country.

• Like 1

My Honda Moped in 1979. When introduced in Canada you didn't need a license but had to be at least 14 years old to drive one. A Moped is a combination bicycle and motorcycle. I use to drive it everywhere to the horror of my Mother.

post-133698-0-89416500-1420078290_thumb.

Edited by RBOP

Moped is a misnomer for sure, but good enough slag for the non-discerning mind.

My friend refers to his Harley his "scoot."

To me a moped has pedals;

underbone = wave type; aka "cub",

Motor mounted on the swing-arm = a scooter.

All are motorcycles, motorbikes, cys, mocys, motos, fun. thumbsup.gif

As Bob Dylan sang:

"I don't want a pickle,

I just want to ride my motor sickle."

...or was it Arlo Guthrie?

flashpanther, on 31 Dec 2014 - 17:34, said:
dave_boo, on 31 Dec 2014 - 17:32, said:
flashpanther, on 31 Dec 2014 - 17:31, said:

Costs me 35USD.

@flashpanther.

The Honda wave is a popular bike but I personally opted for the new 'Honda click', but that costs 52,000 baht.

The Honda dealer will want to see your passport, driving licence and proof of address.

Certificates of residence can be obtained from your local Police Station where you reside.

You will need copies of the homeowners Tabian Ban and their ID card (signed and including their telephone number)

Your passport and copies of the homepage and Visa plus entry stamp.

They can issue you a certificate of residence on the spot (free)

Take your passport, driving licence (plus copies) and the certificate of residence to the Honda dealer and you'll drive away the bike.

Negotiate freebies, such as free helmets, Insurance and rain coats.

You can register the bike in your name, no problem.

The registration book and licence plates will take 6-8 weeks. Arrange for the dealer to phone you when they arrive.

You and your g/f really need to get a Thai driving licence in order to avoid problems with any Insurance claims.

Driving on a foreign licence is usually OK for 90 days, but you should check with your Insurers.

Same documents required plus a health certificate for the Thai driving licence.

If you'd like a copy of the certificate of residency from the local Police (always handy to show them exactly what you want) send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll forward a copy.

• Like 2

Moped is a misnomer for sure, but good enough slag for the non-discerning mind.

My friend refers to his Harley his "scoot."

To me a moped has pedals;

underbone = wave type; aka "cub",

Motor mounted on the swing-arm = a scooter.

All are motorcycles, motorbikes, cys, mocys, motos, fun. thumbsup.gif

As Bob Dylan sang:

"I don't want a pickle,

I just want to ride my motor sickle."

...or was it Arlo Guthrie?

Arlo

• Like 1

flashpanther, on 31 Dec 2014 - 17:34, said:
dave_boo, on 31 Dec 2014 - 17:32, said:
flashpanther, on 31 Dec 2014 - 17:31, said:

Costs me 35USD.

@flashpanther.

The Honda wave is a popular bike but I personally opted for the new 'Honda click', but that costs 52,000 baht.

The Honda dealer will want to see your passport, driving licence and proof of address.

Certificates of residence can be obtained from your local Police Station where you reside.

You will need copies of the homeowners Tabian Ban and their ID card (signed and including their telephone number)

Your passport and copies of the homepage and Visa plus entry stamp.

They can issue you a certificate of residence on the spot (free)

Take your passport, driving licence (plus copies) and the certificate of residence to the Honda dealer and you'll drive away the bike.

Negotiate freebies, such as free helmets, Insurance and rain coats.

You can register the bike in your name, no problem.

The registration book and licence plates will take 6-8 weeks. Arrange for the dealer to phone you when they arrive.

You and your g/f really need to get a Thai driving licence in order to avoid problems with any Insurance claims.

Driving on a foreign licence is usually OK for 90 days, but you should check with your Insurers.

Same documents required plus a health certificate for the Thai driving licence.

If you'd like a copy of the certificate of residency from the local Police (always handy to show them exactly what you want) send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll forward a copy.

Yes, stick to Honda, I don't know about the 'click', I had a Fino, which is the equivent of the click, and although a reliable bike, it sure drinked the fuel.

• Like 1