30 day extension question because of Thai holiday Jan.1 & 2

Immigration is closed in Bangkok Jan. 1 and 2 and I need to extend my visa using the 30 day extension.

However I have a course that starts on Monday and continues every working day for a month. Can I travel to the Cambodian border, not cross the border, go directly to the Thai immigration side to get the extension? (I could do it if BKK where open). Or can I pay a service to do this on Monday or Tuesday the 5th or 6th (day my 60 day tourist visa expires).

If I can get the extension at the border is Saturday or Sunday ok? or should I do it friday Jan. 2?

Thanks. Scott

I think Immigration is now closed until Monday the 5th , you should have extended before they closed for the holidays.

You can not do the extension at a border.

Pretty sure you have to do the extension in person too.

Edited by bigt116
  • Like 1

A visa cannot be extended.

If you have a 60 day permit to stay from a tourist visa entry you can extend it for 30 days at an immigration office.

You cannot apply for the extension at a border crossing.

If you apply for the extension on Monday the 5th you will not pay an overstay fine. After the 5th you will have to pay an overstay fine of 500 baht a day for every day after your 60 days ends.

You could of already applied for the extension. You can do it a couple of weeks early and loose no days because the extension starts from the day your 60 days ends.

• Like 1

wow. great info thanks so much. I wish I knew earlier about how to extend. I always assumed I had to do it as close to the expiring date. When I looked at the calendar it never occurred to me that there may be a a few days on holiday. Live and learn. So it doesn't sound like a visa service will work, so I will have to take a day from school. Anyhow, even though it is not super happy news - good information is always helpful. Next time I will be the smarter for it. Thanks. If anyone knows for sure if I can or cannot use a visa service for the extension I would greatly appreciate it... so far it seems not, Thanks, Scott

Immigration is closed in Bangkok Jan. 1 and 2 and I need to extend my visa using the 30 day extension.

If you have a two or three entry tourist visa that hasn't been used up or expired, you could cross the border and come right back to initiate your next 60 day entry, but then you'll lose the right to get that extra 30 days on the extension this time.

As others have said, when you get an extension of stay they add the 30 days onto your current permission to stay so nothing is lost by doing it a week or two early and doing it early will save you from last minute issues like the one you're having now.