Thai Primary & Secondary Schooling

Maizefarmer

Not a farming subject – but for those of you who have youngsters in Thailand and are wondering where they should be sent to get a good quality education – take note as follows: On satillite TV Sunday morning, my daughter was astounded to watch the following: – a programme called the GREAT BRITISH QUIZ, the question was as follows:

4 Sheep and 26 Goats go to a party. Each sheep took 25 goat guests, and each goat took 84 sheep guests. In total how many animals were at the party?

Now then, this was about 3am-4am in the morning UK time so I guess a lot of people who were up may well have been under the weather, but still.

She counted somewhere between 30 – 40 phones calls over the space of a couple hours – before she gave up watching. Yup, no one came up with the right answer – not one person.

European/USA passport my be great fun – but I wonder about the quality of education in the UK.

I do know about the quality of education in China (nowadays) – its XXXXhot, well organised and well disciplined – as good as Japan

I have very serious concerns about the world my children are growing up into.

How many of you have children and what is your opinion regards the education they are getting in Thailand? What problems do you recognise in the Thai school education system? What about the quality of the teachers?

Who intends to send their kids to Europe/USA for education at some time during their schooling – and why?

All opinions welcome………….

Tim

Edited by Maizefarmer

The problem is to write a good problem....this problem starts by saying that 4 sheep and 26 goats go to a party....if this is true then there are 30 animals at the party.....but then it goes on to say that each sheep brought some guests and each goat brought some guests...this violates the first statement that says that 4 sheep and 26 goats go to a party. If the first sentence is true then there are 30 animals at the party...if it is not true then who is the idiot who writes a math problem by starting out with a false statement that is presented as the truth. If this is an example of the level of problem writing done by the teachers then I do think that the educational system is in real trouble.

Edited by chownah

3 Khun Yais go to a tea shop. The bill comes to 30 Baht. They each pay 10 Baht and leave. The owner of the tea shop notices the bill and tells the waiter that he's overcharged them by 5 Baht. The waiter runs after them with the 5 Baht coins. Irked by them not leaving a tip, he gives them each 1 Baht back and keeps 2 baht. So each Khun Yai paid 9 Baht and the waiter kept 2 Baht "tip"

3 times 9 is 27 + 2 is 29. What happened to the other 1 Baht??

better Chownah :o

Regards

3 Khun Yais go to a tea shop. The bill comes to 30 Baht. They each pay 10 Baht and leave. The owner of the tea shop notices the bill and tells the waiter that he's overcharged them by 5 Baht. The waiter runs after them with the 5 Baht coins. Irked by them not leaving a tip, he gives them each 1 Baht back and keeps 2 baht. So each Khun Yai paid 9 Baht and the waiter kept 2 Baht "tip"

Regards

thats my brain fried teletiger....

Edited by techie

4 Sheep and 26 Goats go to a party. Each sheep took 25 goat guests, and each goat took 84 sheep guests. In total how many animals were at the party?

I agree with Chownah. It doesnt actually tell you all the facts, its one thing taking a guest and its another thing as to whether they actually went in.

Most invites say bring a partner/friend but to bring 84 sheep along simply takes the p*ss.. :o

Getting back to the main question... My wife and I opted to bring our daughter to the US, in part, because we felt she would have a better education. She did great her first year, but I think it was largely because of her previous Thai schooling. Thai education is big on homework and this is good... As for our daughter, the rubber really hits the road this year. She will need to build on what she learned this past year in the U.S.... We will see.

Regards

Ahh the classic, "What happened to the other dollar".

Easy, the money is all there. They each payed 9 baht for a total of 27 baht, plus the 3 they got back = 30 baht.

They were suppose to pay 25 baht , but they paid 27 baht and the waiter kept the extra 2 baht.

Or mathematically.

25b for the meal + 2 baht tip = 27b

30b initial payment - 3 baht refund = 27b