Thai girls gossiping about other "handsome" guys while with their foreigner BF

bbi1

We all know that Thai people love to gossip but is it considered normal & appropriate in Thai culture that girls stare & go crazy & gossip about another "handsome" foreigner they see when with their foreigner BF is sitting right next to them? I witnessed this recently where they were going crazy in Thai while the foreigner BF couldn't understand what they were saying. Would other Thai strangers look down upon them if they saw/heard this happening?

I wonder if they would do this if they had a Thai BF next to them & how the Thai BF would react in that situation?

They will often talk openly in front of Thai friends/partners about the handsomeness of a man, or how beautiful a woman is, or how fat someone is, or how someone looks like a monkey....all sorts of stuff. And they'll also tell the person who is the subject of the discussion the same thing.

However, it sounds like the occasion the OP is referring to possibly (probably) involved working girls.

If the girl/s in question (working girls or otherwise) have nothing to hide or fear from their Falang partner/BF and are capable of speaking English, they would normally say the things in English.

My missus will go out of her way to point out an especially attractive girl to me, as well as refer in flattering terms to a particularly good looking or muscular (or funny, or happy, or stupid, or ugly, or well/badly dressed) Falang.

Thais like to gossip - enough said.

They will often talk openly in front of Thai friends/partners about the handsomeness of a man, or how beautiful a woman is, or how fat someone is, or how someone looks like a monkey....all sorts of stuff. And they'll also tell the person who is the subject of the discussion the same thing.

However, it sounds like the occasion the OP is referring to possibly (probably) involved working girls.

If the girl/s in question (working girls or otherwise) have nothing to hide or fear from their Falang partner/BF and are capable of speaking English, they would normally say the things in English.

My missus will go out of her way to point out an especially attractive girl to me, as well as refer in flattering terms to a particularly good looking or muscular (or funny, or happy, or stupid, or ugly, or well/badly dressed) Falang.

My wife always points out the ladies we rather large bums ,biggrin.png

• Like 1

No, they were nurses who worked at a hospital & yes they do all speak good English. They are a friends of a friend.

I wonder what would happen if the foreigner would stare at other thai girls nearby and comment how beautiful & sexy she looks while his Thai GF was sitting right next to him?

Edited by bbi1
  • Like 1

No, they were nurses who worked at a hospital & yes they do all speak good English. They are a friends of a friend.

I wonder what would happen if the foreigner would stare at other thai girls nearby and comment how beautiful & sexy she looks while his Thai GF was sitting right next to him?

They would probably agree with him and then try to out do him by pointing out an even sexier looking girl, provided you are not making a comparative such as "she is sexier than you" or something similar. It's what they do.

I find it strange that you claim to have heard these girls in Thai, so I'm assuming you speak Thai, but have never seen it happen before or don't understand the cultural differences in this context.

Ever heard your girl greet a friend and tell her she's got fat, or that her dress is not beautiful, or her shoes are ugly? It's the same thing. Unlike us, they have no cultural block on issuing personal compliments as easily as they issue critique, almost irrespective of who the subject is, whose company they are in, or who overhears them.

Normally this is restricted to something such as looks, clothes, something somebody has bought etc. It doesn't extend to behaviour or manners. Normally they will guard those comments.

• Like 2

If they know a farang doesn't understand of course they will. Women do it the world over. Just the same as a guy with his mates will gossip about females if they know their partners either aren't there or don't understand. The word naive comes to mind.

• Like 1

They would probably agree with him and then try to out do him by pointing out an even sexier looking girl, provided you are not making a comparative such as "she is sexier than you" or something similar. It's what they do.

I find it strange that you claim to have heard these girls in Thai, so I'm assuming you speak Thai, but have never seen it happen before or don't understand the cultural differences in this context.

Ever heard your girl greet a friend and tell her she's got fat, or that her dress is not beautiful, or her shoes are ugly? It's the same thing. Unlike us, they have no cultural block on issuing personal compliments as easily as they issue critique, almost irrespective of who the subject is, whose company they are in, or who overhears them.

Normally this is restricted to something such as looks, clothes, something somebody has bought etc. It doesn't extend to behaviour or manners. Normally they will guard those comments.

I speak a little bit of Thai so can understand a bit, especially when I hear those type of comments being said. Yes I've heard those comments before in front of other foreigners so was curious if Thai people just don't care, and if a Thai guy wouldn't care if his GF sitting next to him started talking with the girls about a handsome guy who just walked past or would get really mad at those comments.

I speak a little bit of Thai so can understand a bit, especially when I hear those type of comments being said. Yes I've heard those comments before in front of other foreigners so was curious if Thai people just don't care, and if a Thai guy wouldn't care if his GF sitting next to him started talking with the girls about a handsome guy who just walked past or would get really mad at those comments.

are u married to a thai? girlfriend?

My Thai mia noi likes to comment about handsome guys and then flirt with them - I then have to fight with them to prove my manliness and how much I love her. After bloody conflict, I buy her something expensive as a trophy before returning to the condo I bought her in the car I bought her to enjoy my hero sex...

Girls talking about other guys are just insecure and need you to step up and show how manly you are. Read my book - "Eat, Sweat, Flex" for crucial cultural understanding

whistling.gif ALL teenage girls, no matter in what country or culture, go through a stage where they "play" with the concept of a good looking guy and an imagined romantic relationship with that good looking guy.

Generally this is done with their female friends of the same age ..... it's like "practice" to learn the rules of what others in their group think is "good looking".

They are learning the rules of what others in their age group consider "cool, good looking guys".

For teen age girls, what the "right group" thinks is far more important than the actuality.

Being a member of the "in group" and liking the same "cool guys" is a vital part of growing up .... both in Thailand, and the U.S. or the U.K.

It's rather like being an experienced shopper.

You have to get an idea of the correct price and real value of each object before you actually go to buy it.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Mine too. And the obese. She's even translated a Kiwi term for them; "Bla wan song kha" (2 legged whale)

I reckon the farang in the OP must be very clueless. No matter what language is being spoken, if a group of women are getting excited over another man, it's pretty obvious what they are chattering about, what with the expression of voice and face, and the glances at him.

Mine too. And the obese. She's even translated a Kiwi term for them; "Bla wan song kha" (2 legged whale)

That's not a saying in NZ, that's a lifestyle.

• Like 1

She would have a fit. The ear bashing would burst your eardrums.

It is bad enough being caught looking at sexy Thai women while even out walking, never mind talking about them as you sit alongside your g/f.

I wonder if they would do this if they had a Thai BF next to them & how the Thai BF would react in that situation?

No, absolutely they would not do it with a Thai boyfriend. What you are describing sounds quite rude (far beyond just casually commenting on someone) and a Thai dude isn't going to put up with that. A Thai boyfriend could react in many different ways, from a tongue lashing to one with his fists or just dumping her, but obvious disrespect in public is generally not going to be tolerated.

A lot of Thai chicks feel free to talk as if their farang boyfriend isn't there because they don't understand anything. Like some big dumb buffalo that just follows them around all the time. They don't care how they act in front it, it will keep following them around no matter what they do anyway.

• Like 1