Lawyer for condo purchase

giibaht

Always use your own lawyer..... never use a lawyer suggested by the seller..

This is common sense, google enough and you will read all sorts of horror stories.

Indeed. But there are some who think a direct purchase from (established) developer is straightforward. However, I'm uncomfortable with that.

I wonder whether I should engage the lawyer prior to booking as well? And what's the going rate?

Edited by giibaht

Indeed. But there are some who think a direct purchase from (established) developer is straightforward. However, I'm uncomfortable with that.

I wonder whether I should engage the lawyer prior to booking as well? And what's the going rate?

Put me in the camp of people who think it’s straightforward (buying from established developer).

What would you expect the lawyer would do for you? Read the terms of payment and give his stamp of approval?

If you want to spend money on some “insurance” then I think it would be better to get a person knowledgable about construction and have them inspect the quality of the finished project.

• Like 1

Put me in the camp of people who think it’s straightforward (buying from established developer).

What would you expect the lawyer would do for you? Read the terms of payment and give his stamp of approval?

If you want to spend money on some “insurance” then I think it would be better to get a person knowledgable about construction and have them inspect the quality of the finished project.

Yup, no lawyer needed.

If the lawyer can do his primary job which is to keep you out of trouble, then yes use one, particularly if you have limited experience here and/or can not afford a large loss. As mentioned there are a lot of horror stories about problems with condo purchases. Perhaps if you have read them all and are triple confident that you will not end up like any of them, go for it on your own.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the insightful comments.

I've been around long enough to know that a significant number of the natives of this fair land would cream me off (mostly through overcharging) if given half the chance.

In this particular case, sad to say, I wouldn't necessarily trust any law firm I shortlisted, more than the established developer. I've yet to speak to any law firm, but I think there's no harm to find out about their services and pricing, and decide later.

My thoughts are that if you are buying a condo from other than a well-established developer (who had completed many projects you've visited and checked personally, as is my case here), then I would say one is taking an unnecessary risk to sign on the dotted line without own independent legal advice. Just be careful that the law firm don't end up being the party to screw you off whistling.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My thoughts are that if you are buying a condo from other than a well-established developer (who had completed many projects you've visited and checked personally, as is my case here), then I would say one is taking an unnecessary risk to sign on the dotted line without own independent legal advice. Just be careful that the law firm don't end up being the party to screw you off whistling.gif

If you’re talking about unfinished projects, then yes, signing a purchase agreement is a huge risk, but the contract itself is fairly simple, it covers payment terms, unit size, buyer obligations (sinking fund, common area fees), and developer liabilities (incase of delays, or structural issues after ownership transfer).

So I consider the main risk a developer who delivers a unit which is worse than expected based on the sales material. Legal advice probably give you little protection against that, as the purchase agreement is not detailed enough.
If buying before the unit has been completed, I would spend a lot of time with the architect to go over the details, at a minimum to adjust expectations, and perhaps catch potential blunders, like too low kitchen tables or too few electrical sockets (common issues I see in many new builds, even here at The Shine, a building I am otherwise quite fond of).

Buy a new condo. Do not buy a "used" condo.

Won't it be a used condo as soon as he buys it? If you were selling your condo that you obviously bought new would your advice be the same to prospective buyers? There a good and bad buildings, both new and used.

Buying used condos is very straightforward, more so than in the West, and paying a lawyer is a waste of money. With a new one a lawyer might help just in case there are some unfavourable clauses.