Swiss Tourist assaulted by street vendors close to Pattaya Port

Lite Beer

I interact with street vendors all the time and never ever had a problem - other than sometimes having to deal with the hard sale. One can only guess what the hell set them off - and how he set off 3 at the same time.

For the sake of argument I will assume that it had something to do with the loss of face -- not at not buying -- but treating the vendors inappropriately.... Legally, the vendors were in the wrong and should have to face up to what they did. If the instigation was treating the vendor with disrespect - then I would not feel sorry for him..... sooner or later when you go around doing that someone is going to take offense and you are going to get into an altercation.... but then the lack of information leaves a lot open to guessing.

The Mrs sent me back to a street vendor once who was overcharging tourists (she was hospitalized at the time), just about escaped the joining her. Never again, she does it so much better than me anyway!

So in your worlds, a Thai street vendor has every right to physically attack someone? If a Thai street vendor doesn't like the way a potential customer acts, or doesn't like to be denied a sale, the proper recourse is to physically attack someone?

Let me give you another scenario: the man was walking and didn't respond to the various vendors hawking their wares. When the vendors became more aggressive in their sales pitch, the man told the Thai vendors (in his native language, of course) to leave him alone. The Thais deemed a refusal as a loss of face and attacked the man. This is probably more along the lines of what happened. And no, I wasn;t there. Neither were you.

How's this for another scenario. I have lived in both Thailand and China and I like the people from both places.

However, just the other day I was asking a Chinese guy who had the obvious appearance of being lost, if he was ok.

He responded to me in some Chinese that you didn't need to understand to understand.

So I responded with the toe of my Australian boot right in his wallet pocket.

And I like the Chinese. My wife was one...

Rule number one: Never believe anything that you hear (or read) and only half of what you see.

Not all farang are polite good guys.

Don't get your story.