French man found hanged in Koh Tao with his hands tied behind his back – foul play suspected

Lite Beer

wendycraig, on 04 Jan 2015 - 08:36, said:

Hi,

After 4 previous visits to Thailand, (having deliberately avoided Pattaya + Phuket), we have "bitten the bullet" and have flights from OZ to KL and on to Surat Thani in June for three weeks, so we could at least satisfy our curiosity regarding Samui and neighbouring islands.

The plan was to visit KS, KP, and KT, then ferry to Chumphon, Lang Suan, and bus back to Surat Thani.

It now seems wise to avoid Koh Tao altogether.

or: avoid the islands altogether, and add Sichon, and Khanom to the itinerary ?

FWIW we are late 50s euros from australia, who would like to avoid trouble and have no interest in the seedy side of life, know it goes on any where, but heck, sometimes its bleedin' obvious.

Nothing wrong with Koh Samui or Koh Phangan if you keep well away from the areas of Chaweng (KS) and Haad Rin (KP). KP is a particularly beautiful island. The coastline of Surat Thani is stunning and it would be a shame not to see it. I would certainly give KT a miss though.

Thanks IL,

Have noted your recommendations.

So how does a person tie his/her own hands behind his/her back in the first place? Even a world class magician needs to get some one from the audience to do it for them. This place never ceases to amaze me, no matter how many years I have been here.

Still trying...........Mrs.Trans had to do it in the end.................w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

• Like 2

The worst thing about this beautiful country is the foreigners who loathe Thailand, but insist on living here for some reason. (Cheap sex?) You can see them at almost every topic, they can find a reason to bash Thailand for almost anything. And being part-time crime solvers, those chaps are quick to produce conspiracy theories about unsolved deaths.

One of my favorite quotes is from Bertrand Russsell: "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

And you can see that exactly in action here, while the intelligent are full of doubt, questioning everything, not making quick judgements, stupid are cocksure that there's a mysterious crime wave going on at Koh Tao and they don't hesitate to label a generally peaceful place as "Island of Death" and scare away people thinking of going there. Of course, by doing that they don't care about the damage they are doing to the Thailand's tourism industry, because they loathe Thailand anyway. They claim they are doing this "to stop future murders", but I don't buy this at all. That is just another expression of their hatred for Thailand, their need to label Thailand as a scary place to be.

No,, the WORST thing about this beautiful country?,,, the corruption, incompetence, etc,, is IN you face,, NO shame, NO trying to hide it, WHAT SO EVER,,,, The FACT THAT it is never appologuised for,, they make nearly NO secret, that they LOVE our $$$,,, but LOTHE us being here,,, THAT'S the problem,,, as in,, "We stop to search farlang, for a BULLSHIT reason because they have $$ to pay,, We NOT stop Thai's BLATANTLY breaking the law because THEY have no $$$".... THAT'S the problem I have with this country I DO love,,,

Do us and yourself a favour when you post, drop the childlike capital words littered all over the place, we are all quite capable of reading normal script and really prefer not to be shouted at every other word, that only gets your posts ignored.

Glad I'm not the only one that doesn't like to be ranted at!

• Like 2

The worst thing about this beautiful country is the foreigners who loathe Thailand, but insist on living here for some reason. (Cheap sex?) You can see them at almost every topic, they can find a reason to bash Thailand for almost anything. And being part-time crime solvers, those chaps are quick to produce conspiracy theories about unsolved deaths.

One of my favorite quotes is from Bertrand Russsell: "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

And you can see that exactly in action here, while the intelligent are full of doubt, questioning everything, not making quick judgements, stupid are cocksure that there's a mysterious crime wave going on at Koh Tao and they don't hesitate to label a generally peaceful place as "Island of Death" and scare away people thinking of going there. Of course, by doing that they don't care about the damage they are doing to the Thailand's tourism industry, because they loathe Thailand anyway. They claim they are doing this "to stop future murders", but I don't buy this at all. That is just another expression of their hatred for Thailand, their need to label Thailand as a scary place to be.

"Of course, by doing that they don't care about the damage they are doing to the Thailand's tourism industry, because they loathe Thailand anyway."

There is that, but in my opinion, even more loathsome is the damage they do to the families and relations of the victims, to say nothing of the people they accuse of being either perpetrators of complicit in murder.

They have gone as far as "investigating" and revealing personal information of friends of the two British people killed in Koh Tao.

They are too lost in their own egotistical world to notice they are making things up regarding real tragedies and real people.

• Like 1

So much for social media, be it Thai Visa, CSILA or whatever... at least cases like this come out in the open

Frenchman found hung in Koh Tao: foul play suspected

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Frenchman-found-hung-in-Koh-Tao-foul-play-suspecte-30251171.html

Isn't it just wonderful for the family and friends of the deceased to have creeps falling over themselves to come up with the wildest theories as they gawk at and share among themselves the pictures of the body?

• Like 1

Let the investigation take it's course. Thailand is not rife with serial killers or gangsters, most of them come here on the plane.

If you think this is true, then, the ones that came on the plane definitely influence the local Thai lowlifes (which is about 90% of the Thai population). It's rife more than you think you know. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde can learn many things from the "normal" Thai person.

Edited by maureeses

Geez. Twenty five pages of arguing about knots. Bet none of the naysayers are sailors.

Knot tying is a hard-earned skill. But it's been around for centuries. Just because some of you have never done more than tie your own laces, does not mean others aren't accomplished at tying knots.

I have a half-dozen books, some with a few hundred types of knots. Many are used by sailors, such as myself, when sailing alone. Once you know how, it is not at all difficult, and it's possible to do it in a manner that will keep the wrists quite close to each other.

Maybe the Frenchman was a sailor. Or a rock climber. Or an Eagle Scout.

Or maybe he just Googled.

Or maybe he was assisted.

by a Thai man (men or cabaret ladyboys). Or a Burmese (I only refer to the fire spinners on the beach)

No,, the WORST thing about this beautiful country?,,, the corruption, incompetence, etc,, is IN you face,, NO shame, NO trying to hide it, WHAT SO EVER,,,, The FACT THAT it is never appologuised for,, they make nearly NO secret, that they LOVE our $$$,,, but LOTHE us being here,,, THAT'S the problem,,, as in,, "We stop to search farlang, for a BULLSHIT reason because they have $$ to pay,, We NOT stop Thai's BLATANTLY breaking the law because THEY have no $$$".... THAT'S the problem I have with this country I DO love,,,

Do us and yourself a favour when you post, drop the childlike capital words littered all over the place, we are all quite capable of reading normal script and really prefer not to be shouted at every other word, that only gets your posts ignored.

Glad I'm not the only one that doesn't like to be ranted at!

Think the content is sufficient to ignore the post without worrying about the stupid caps. all over the place.

• Like 1

"Of course, by doing that they don't care about the damage they are doing to the Thailand's tourism industry, because they loathe Thailand anyway."

There is that, but in my opinion, even more loathsome is the damage they do to the families and relations of the victims, to say nothing of the people they accuse of being either perpetrators of complicit in murder.

They have gone as far as "investigating" and revealing personal information of friends of the two British people killed in Koh Tao.

They are too lost in their own egotistical world to notice they are making things up regarding real tragedies and real people.

Just imagine how much fun you would have had if the Red Bull killer had of got one of his servant to have lied and said he had done it.

You would have told us time and again we were CT's and just to leave the poor kid alone and stop trying to ruin his life.

Oh, but he did try that, and also tried to bribe a head of police.

That's the difference between reality and the world of conspiracy theories, in reality those things sooner or later come to light, and the bigger the conspiracy the sooner that happens.

• Like 1

Just imagine how much fun you would have had if the Red Bull killer had of got one of his servant to have lied and said he had done it.

You would have told us time and again we were CT's and just to leave the poor kid alone and stop trying to ruin his life.

That's the difference between reality and the world of conspiracy theories, in reality those things sooner or later come to light, and the bigger the conspiracy the sooner that happens.

What on earth are you talking about ? not one word of that made sense. Mind you that's often par for the course.

• Like 1

EDITED to provide better and more acceptable links (sorry about that)

in reality those things sooner or later come to light, and the bigger the conspiracy the sooner that happens.

Would you say that applied in this case:

Background: http://2bangkok.com/11-years-ago-chalerm-and-the-brawling-brats-of-the-thai-elite.html

Aftermath 11 years on: http://bangkokdave.blog.com/2012/08/07/chalerm-son-still-the-untouchables/

My thoughts entirely: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/SIDELINES-The-whole-world-is-laughing-at-us-50866.html

Were those who believed the eye witness reports conspiracy theorists? Was his fleeing to an army base and then abroad cause to consider him a suspect, or were those making the accusation pursuing a poor innocent young man? Perhaps, his decision to take an extended foreign vacation was just a coincidence.

If Chalerm's son case wouldn't had come out to light you wouldn't be citing it as an example. That through his (and his master) very deep control of the police force the case has been shelved is a different matter.

in reality those things sooner or later come to light, and the bigger the conspiracy the sooner that happens.

Background: http://2bangkok.com/11-years-ago-chalerm-and-the-brawling-brats-of-the-thai-elite.html

Aftermath 11 years on: http://bangkokdave.blog.com/2012/08/07/chalerm-son-still-the-untouchables/

My thoughts entirely: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/SIDELINES-The-whole-world-is-laughing-at-us-50866.html

Were those who believed the eye witness reports conspiracy theorists? Was his fleeing to an army base and then abroad cause to consider him a suspect, or were those making the accusation pursuing a poor innocent young man? Perhaps, his decision to take an extended foreign vacation was just a coincidence.

If Chalerm's son case wouldn't had come out to light you wouldn't be citing it as an example. That through his (and his master) very deep control of the police force the case has been shelved is a different matter.

It was not shelved. Once bribery and threats had sufficiently reduced the evidence, and he returned to Thailand, he was granted bail and eventually acquitted by the court of all charges. His family swear to this day that he was innocent. Family influence, as noted in one of the links I provided, have even been sufficient to get him an important position in the RTP. People like him perpetuate the system that allows these b-ds to commit crimes with impunity.

If you are consistent in your touching faith in the RTP and Thai justice system, you should now brand me a "conspiracy theorist" for even bringing this case up.

He went drinking at 5am to 11am. I am assuming he was drinking throughout the night. That was very then found at about 12:30. That was a lot to do for someone intoxicated and tying all those knot. Would it be possible for someone drunk to be so coordinated

He went drinking at 5am to 11am. I am assuming he was drinking throughout the night. That was very then found at about 12:30. That was a lot to do for someone intoxicated and tying all those knot. Would it be possible for someone drunk to be so coordinated

Not questioning this (indeed, there is a liquor bottle on the table of the verandah) but I had not seen any report that he was drinking from 5:00 am to 11:00 am. Can you please quote a source for this.

Not questioning this (indeed, there is a liquor bottle on the table of the verandah) but I had not seen any report that he was drinking from 5:00 am to 11:00 am. Can you please quote a source for this.

It's just on the previous page. Go up a few posts. There's a link to the nation.

It was not shelved. Once bribery and threats had sufficiently reduced the evidence, and he returned to Thailand, he was granted bail and eventually acquitted by the court of all charges. His family swear to this day that he was innocent. Family influence, as noted in one of the links I provided, have even been sufficient to get him an important position in the RTP. People like him perpetuate the system that allows these b-ds to commit crimes with impunity.

If you are consistent in your touching faith in the RTP and Thai justice system, you should now brand me a "conspiracy theorist" for even bringing this case up.

No, I should brand you a conspiracy theorist if you peddle conspiracy theories, because I don't deliberately conflate things in order to reach an unrelated conclusion.

Now, say again, what does Chalerm's case have to do with the suicide of this French man?

Tell you what find another island with such a small population that has as many people die on it as Koh Tao.

P.s you will also find most here are full of doubt, and the so called intelligent are 100% sure.

And no I don't care about the damage being done to the tourism industry. But I can assure you more damage is being done by those that live on said island than those that talk about it.

P.S cheap sex and cheap booze. Don't let the side down.

Easy to find . Pattaya ,Bangkok,Phuket,Koh samui,Koh Phangan..

Lol, it is amazing to see people calling Koh Tao "Island of death", or even suggesting nuking the place. I'm pretty sure most of those people are backpacker hating Pattaya resident sexpats, or probably spent a lot of time at Pattaya at some part of their lifes. Pattaya, which is famous for murders happening on a weekly basis. Pattaya, which has not only the local mafia, but also mafias from around the world, like Russian mafia, Arab mafia, Turkish mafia etc. And yet you never hear those backpacker hating sexpats bashing Pattaya.

The murders at Koh Tao was big news, because it is so rare. Murders at Pattaya aren't big news, because it happens so much that it doesn't have a news value. You want to nuke a place, fine, then go for Pattaya. An incredible amount of scum would be wiped out of earth and Thailand's murder rates would drop instantly.

Couldn't agree more with this....

Backpackers do my head in but so do bloated, drooling, pervert sexpats... and Pattaya is a dive...

Flick the switch...

Interestingly enough it is not uncommon for people to tie their hands behind their back before hanging themselves -- some also tape or cover their mouths. It is a way to make sure they go through with the act and don't try to free themselves or scream out.

Would you be able to give some reference links to support this claim ?

He *might have* heard it from the Royal Thai Police....

Ergo... It MUST be 100% factually accurate... because they never lie and work so, so hard...

BritTim said:

No, I should brand you a conspiracy theorist if you peddle conspiracy theories, because I don't deliberately conflate things in order to reach an unrelated conclusion.

Now, say again, what does Chalerm's case have to do with the suicide of this French man?

I was trying (from my biased viewpoint successfullywink.png ) to demonstrate that if the Frenchman's demise was murder by rich and influential individuals, the evidence could, through corruption and intimidation, be manipulated to create a verdict of suicide. You claimed

I disagreed. Without eye witnesses, with the right people in your pocket, it is trivial. With 200 eye witnesses, including police friends of the policeman you killed, it takes longer.

If we want to take this friendly argument further, perhaps we should switch to PM?

UPDATE:

Criminologist doubts suicide theory of a tourist

6-1-2558-14-12-46-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A criminologist has voiced his support for calls by media and relatives of a victim of suspected suicide by the police and forensic experts to look for more evidences to determine the exact cause of the death the victim.

Full story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/789218-french-man-found-dead-in-koh-tao-incident-being-treated-as-suicide-not-homicide/page-7?p=8900725#entry8900725

Picked from one of hes friends statements to share with you all for me it seems they do know something we dont!! Here what he/she commented:

I don't have words to describe the kind of person you all are... It was a suicide, period. The friends and the police are sure. No more quetions, is not a murder! You don't have any right to make this pictures public!! Any right!! Let the people is crying for him alone!!! Is sad enough, we don't need you in this!! Take out this pictures of your stupid investigation Facebook!! If you are a human been, take it out!

Just to reminder to all you t-shirt sellers and other clearly bored and rude invidituals with out no respect for dead people.

Hope all you rope analysts and other bashers are feeling good for your self at mo .

Im quessing all victims friends and family are mortified of all bs u can read here and other forums.

They getting very upset bcase all what people are spreading are clearly far from truth.

And imagine if u would loose loved one ,first u dont need these bloody photos or even worst bunch of conspiracy theorist spin it all upside down. With out no real knowledge

My thoughts are with he's family and friends. Hope some of you here will focus your boredom to something good

Rip

Written by your favorite island apologist...

Where did you get the info regarding the family?. Why is their English writing ability as terrible as yours?. Please provide a link, or a way of searching so if true I can respect their wishes. If it's a load of crap you made up them shame on you.

Islandlfe lives on Koh Tao, has done for 10 years. However seeing as the autopsy has not even been performed yet then its impossible for anyone to be satisfied that its a real suicide even if it is close family or friends

I thought the relatives request was quite clear

Hope all you rope analysts and other bashers are feeling good for your self at mo .

Im quessing all victims friends and family are mortified of all bs u can read here and other forums.

The relatives request is now quite clear.........................

Edited by Willy Eckerslike
  • Like 2

UPDATE:

Criminologist doubts suicide theory of a tourist

6-1-2558-14-12-46-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A criminologist has voiced his support for calls by media and relatives of a victim of suspected suicide by the police and forensic experts to look for more evidences to determine the exact cause of the death the victim.

Full story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/789218-french-man-found-dead-in-koh-tao-incident-being-treated-as-suicide-not-homicide/page-7?p=8900725#entry8900725

What a joke , hes friends and family have asked respect their sorrow and have stated they believe he took hes own life.

This Joker of professor comes out and tryes to get famous . Some people..