Aerosol Banned From Carryons

Thaiquila

Maybe this should be in the health section, but with the new severe restrictions on what you bring on carry ons on flights from the US and UK (and perhaps to the US and UK?), I heard that all aerosols are now banned. Well, asthma inhalers are aerosol based. How are asthmatics supposed to deal with a 25 hour trip without their medication?

Aside from that, the ban on bringing drinking water is really an annoyance. I don't see why they can't just make you sip some at security. You can never get enough from the airlines, well, at least in coach.

Edited by Thaiquila

Maybe this should be in the health section, but with the new severe restrictions on what you bring on carry ons on flights from the US and UK (and perhaps to the US and UK?), I heard that all aerosols are now banned. Well, asthma inhalers are aerosol based. How are asthmatics supposed to deal with a 25 hour trip without their medication?

Aside from that, the ban on bringing drinking water is really an annoyance. I don't see why they can't just make you sip some at security. You can never get enough from the airlines, well, at least in coach.

From what I've read and understood medicines are o.k. i.e insulin etc

Johnb

Yes, small amounts of liquid medicines are OK.

However, there has been no mention of aerosol based medicines, and it is clear that all aerosols are banned.

I think they will be hearing from asthmatics about this and hopefully will come up with clear rules, but for the time being, I wouldn't be surprised if asthmatics are having their meds tossed in the trash.

Should be good to go...

"However, prescription medicine with a name that matches the passenger’s ticket; up to 8 oz. of liquid or gel low blood sugar treatment and up to 4 oz. of non-prescription liquid medications are permitted.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/spe...orial_1059.shtm

Inhalers had been allowed previously, and have not been added to the list of newly banned items, hence they are still allowed.

Edited by lomatopo

...Well, asthma inhalers are aerosol based. How are asthmatics supposed to deal with a 25 hour trip without their medication?

Not sure what companies you fly with, but must not be a very good company if you cant get enough water during the flight! Try Thai Airways... they have immpecible service.. in regards to water being served.. i think i got annoyed about being offered too much water during my flight!

REgards to asthma inhalers, im sure there would be a rule exemption for this kind of thing.

It sounds to me that you may be more annoyed at the fact that they now dont allow any hand luggage at all??? I for one think its a great rule... i would much rather feel/and be safe on a flight without hand luggage, than travel in fear.....