Impeachment process will delay reform, NLA chief warns

Lite Beer

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why should either bother turning up?

She and her party were elected democratically by the Thai people and Suthep and the the military conspired to bring her and the government down because we all know the yellow elite can't win.

This is nothing but a ploy to get the Shinawatras out of politics and a move that will be seen by the voting public as nothing but a bias kangaroo court.

There should be no cases to answer while the junta is in power.

You will be stuttering when they get hold of you.....st sts tstst sts stst sterr stut.

tracking your ip lol.. knock knock. who's there

I hope that was a joke and not an attempt to intimidate someone with threats of Government reprisals should they continue to speak their mind

Oh this is an easy case to solve.

He will be found dead, hanging upside down, head cut off and wrapped in plastic.

The world's No. 1 crime investigation squad, the Roya Thai Police, will send their best team and

after a thorough and in depth investigation,

within 5 minutes, the result will be published!

"Suicide".

And if some smarty pants would question this, well, there are "still" plenty Farang in this country. Not difficult to pick one of them, to blame!

Come oon folks, where is your faith in this country's prefessionalism?

"Impeachment is a formal process in which an official is accused of unlawful activity, the outcome of which, depending on the country, may include the removal of that official from office as well as criminal or civil punishment." per Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachment. Therefore, my question is how even under Thai law can any person who is no longer in their official elected office can be impeached? If this was coverd in the Thai Constitution, then it does not apply since the last Constitution was ripped up essentially and is no longer in effect. Think this should be a good reason to avoid going through the motions of any impeachment and time to just move on with the new Constitution and elected gov't.

• Like 1

"If we create hatred by demonstrating that the NLA makes decisions that are unjust then that's the end. Whatever follows will lack credibility"

How can anybody think that the NLA lacks creditibility? Just because the NLA membership was selected and appointed by the military Junta, staffed 52% with military officers, and under the direct conrol of the Junta as per Articles 17 & 44 there is no reason to assume the NLA lacks creditibility - right? That would be like saying that a military junta that committed treason by the unconstitutional removal of an elected government would lack creditibility in creating a new government. And we really can't make that kind of analogy, can we? wai2.gif

• Like 2

"Impeachment is a formal process in which an official is accused of unlawful activity, the outcome of which, depending on the country, may include the removal of that official from office as well as criminal or civil punishment." per Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachment. Therefore, my question is how even under Thai law can any person who is no longer in their official elected office can be impeached? If this was coverd in the Thai Constitution, then it does not apply since the last Constitution was ripped up essentially and is no longer in effect. Think this should be a good reason to avoid going through the motions of any impeachment and time to just move on with the new Constitution and elected gov't.

Indeed, surely this should simply be a criminal matter now

• Like 1

She and her party were elected democratically by the Thai people and Suthep and the the military conspired to bring her and the government down because we all know the yellow elite can't win.

This is nothing but a ploy to get the Shinawatras out of politics and a move that will be seen by the voting public as nothing but a bias kangaroo court.

Blah blah blah blah blah did I get that right ? Yah I'm pretty sure I did.

• Like 1

"If we create hatred by demonstrating that the NLA makes decisions that are unjust then that's the end. Whatever follows will lack credibility"

How can anybody think that the NLA lacks creditibility? Just because the NLA membership was selected and appointed by the military Junta, staffed 52% with military officers, and under the direct conrol of the Junta as per Articles 17 & 44 there is no reason to assume the NLA lacks creditibility - right? That would be like saying that a military junta that committed treason by the unconstitutional removal of an elected government would lack creditibility in creating a new government. And we really can't make that kind of analogy, can we? wai2.gif

"If we create hatred by demonstrating that the NLA makes decisions that are just then that's the end. Whatever follows will lack credibility" ?

EDIT:

a new topic with

"If the public witnesses that the NLA’s proceedings are fair, they will understand. The NLA has to be impartial, favour no particular side, and refrain from stirring conflict, said the NLA President."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/788852-nla-president-assize-of-ex-politicians-affects-national-reform/

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

You say that like it's a bad thing.

I certainly am bias when it comes to an elected government being thrown out by force and the freedom of speech taken away.

As for the old chestnut about vote buying it happens on both side of political fence and has no bearing on the outcome.

As for reds being quiet yes that's very true as they just have to tolerate this latest coup until the elections and pending how much match fixing goes into the constitution then they will win by a mile.

Can't understand junta supporters.

And that is the crux of your problems Stuttering One.

It is either your Red way or the highway.

You cannot accept that, by now, many Thai people don't really give a sh!t about the Reds (or Yellows for that matter, since both colours were a construct of the ThaksinismUs and Them, that you seem to want to foment so badly ), and I'm including Issan , now that peace has broken out.

There will always be a communist/fascist undercurrent that the Reds will continue to feed into, but like most of the alleged Martial Law restrictions in place that affect the population so badly, the average Thai Joe on the street doesn't quite simply give a f@$k.

What most Thais want is a better standard of living and a chance to improve themselves...neither of which the Reds will allow.

• Like 1

"Impeachment process will delay reform, NLA chief warns"

So then,... let it go, let it go,.... just forget about everything and cause nobody in previous power to ever lose face....

Let it go, save face, "We need to understand, that the most influential people and their naughty spoiled brats NEVER EVER get punished....

Mai pen Rai, just let it go,... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by MaxLee

True Robby the law is the however how fairly is it going to be dished out when the current regime clearly demonstrates bias towards the shins?

He's right but no matter what decision gets handed down it won't go down well with either sides.

The law is the law, indeed, and it was always so fairly and impartially applied without bias when the Shinwatra's had control, I remember it well over the last few decades.

Next you'll be telling us that all the charges against Thaksin were false and that actually he's a really nice guy who really loves the poor, downtrodden people he purports to represent, and that he only stole billions of their money with his dodgy illegal self-serving dealings to "help" them in some way. And yes, I know he built a few schools and roads, set up some nice new headmen to look after all the "village" money to keep them happy and feel loved and protected, but hey, that's the job of Govt anyway.

One thing you are correct about is that both "sides" won't be happy, whatever happens. But then, that's nothing new either, especially when it was part of Thaksin's very long term master plan to create those divisions in the first place in support of someone higher up than him that we've been reading a little more about in the last few months.

There'll still be many however that refuse to see or accept "truth", in whatever form it comes in, because after all, it's far easier to allow yourself to be deluded and "happy" than to face "facts" about some of "our" hero's, whoever they may be.

EDIT: By the way, the "other side" are equally as bad in most ways, but I'd give the Thaksin side the edge in terms of outright, blatant, unthinking violence to achieve their goals.

Interesting comment....please tell us more

part of Thaksin's very long term master plan to create those divisions in the first place in support of someone higher up than him that we've been reading a little more about in the last few months.

• Like 1

True Robby the law is the however how fairly is it going to be dished out when the current regime clearly demonstrates bias towards the shins?

He's right but no matter what decision gets handed down it won't go down well with either sides.

The law is the law, indeed, and it was always so fairly and impartially applied without bias when the Shinwatra's had control, I remember it well over the last few decades.

Next you'll be telling us that all the charges against Thaksin were false and that actually he's a really nice guy who really loves the poor, downtrodden people he purports to represent, and that he only stole billions of their money with his dodgy illegal self-serving dealings to "help" them in some way. And yes, I know he built a few schools and roads, set up some nice new headmen to look after all the "village" money to keep them happy and feel loved and protected, but hey, that's the job of Govt anyway.

One thing you are correct about is that both "sides" won't be happy, whatever happens. But then, that's nothing new either, especially when it was part of Thaksin's very long term master plan to create those divisions in the first place in support of someone higher up than him that we've been reading a little more about in the last few months.

There'll still be many however that refuse to see or accept "truth", in whatever form it comes in, because after all, it's far easier to allow yourself to be deluded and "happy" than to face "facts" about some of "our" hero's, whoever they may be.

EDIT: By the way, the "other side" are equally as bad in most ways, but I'd give the Thaksin side the edge in terms of outright, blatant, unthinking violence to achieve their goals.

Interesting comment....please tell us more

part of Thaksin's very long term master plan to create those divisions in the first place in support of someone higher up than him that we've been reading a little more about in the last few months.

You, along with everyone else, have access to the same sources of information (pretty much) that I do.

Go back a few decades for a start, to when Thaksin's career first kicked off, who was in the wings supporting, how did he get so powerful, so quickly, who did he do favors for and vice versa, who has remained loyal to whom, who has pissed off whom, listen to those rumors that the Thai's talk quietly about (that contain more than a large grain of truth in them), try and connect the dots, look at the much, much bigger picture, and then you'll perhaps start to see just how this is all being played out. Recent events are a mere sideshow to the larger, much longer term picture.

Edited by Tatsujin

To do nothing will show future politicians that there is no accountability and they can do whatever they want with complete impunity.

The law is the law and must apply to everyone including politicians, if politicians try to subvert the law they must answer to the law.

This is not a matter of trying to please anyone or everyone it is a matter of setting a standard for the behavior of future politicians.

If it puts someone's nose out of joint so be it, for those are the people who are only pushing their own agenda, mostly in blind support of a particular party for their own (in many cases financial) benefit.

This is an impeachment not a court trial. The two are completely different in scope. I agree that Thailand's problems are a complete lack of accountability in all governmental institutions.....but come on....the NLA? That broke the law and deposed an elected government sitting in judgement on a dereliction of duty charge (note there is absolutely no whiff of any money going into Yingluck's hands), so the charge is that she was in charge when corruption was going on.....how many CEOs, Presidents and Prime Ministers pleading 'I didn't know all the details'.....and how could they...most UK MPs and Ministers never read the bills they vote for...they have no idea what they are saying yes to. My verdict...an unproductive witch hunt...let's move on and reconcile as the General says.

Nice fairy story Parrot. You missed out all the illegal actions, lies and cheating She and her Brother's party carried out which caused their removal following mass protests by many of the people who seriously regretted electing them.

The Shiniwatras - how many criminal convictions and outstanding charges can this family clan now boast of? A crime family - no more, no less.

You depose a prime minister and then impeach her. It just boggles the mind, TIT. Also Ying Luck is no longer an official. The word impeachment may be used improperly.

Thai law works differently and words don't always translate accurately or have real direct equivalents in meaning.

Anyway, you are right, she should be dealt with as a criminal.

If Yingluck cannot be impeached because she's not PM anymore and therefore her case should be taken to a criminal court, then the same for the Yellow gang, please.

Both sides might have had too much power, and both sides may have misused it. So far they might be cconsidered as equal evils.

Which side caused more damage to the country's welfare, ie social balance?

And which sude made more promises they couldn't keep? The latter is hard to judge because - contrary to Abhisit & Co - Yingluck didn't have a chance to prove her reliability (or irreliability) because of the military coup.

If Yingluck cannot be impeached because she's not PM anymore and therefore her case should be taken to a criminal court, then the same for the Yellow gang, please.

Both sides might have had too much power, and both sides may have misused it. So far they might be cconsidered as equal evils.

Which side caused more damage to the country's welfare, ie social balance?

And which sude made more promises they couldn't keep? The latter is hard to judge because - contrary to Abhisit & Co - Yingluck didn't have a chance to prove her reliability (or irreliability) because of the military coup.

Well luckily there seems to be no legal reason why Ms. Yingluck can't be impeached. That doesn't mean she will, just that it's possible.

The rest is just based on a wrong assumption with lots of diversion and obfuscation. IMHO.

I've said before, the only two factors that will determine Yinglucks impeachment, and indeed any criminal proceedings will be:

1) Whether the Junta reckon that they can impeach or convict her without alienating a large proportion of the Thai people. (Clue to that one, why did they have to make sure that last Februaries election was stopped?)

2) To what extent the Junta are bothered about the international reaction to an elected Prime Minister, who had (for Thailand) a high profile on the international stage, and who has been deposed by a military coup, being impeached/tried by the Junta who deposed her. They may not care , but I think they just might.

Justice has the cubed root of bugger all to do with it !

• Like 1

The rice scheme in question may be bad politics, and I don't see any reason why a court should judge about political issues.

Well, if a government positions their policy as 'self-financing', defends their policy to the point of 'only' needing a 'revolving funds' and use that argument to keep the whole policy out of the National Budget, following voicing but ignoring warnings and ultimately cause the State a 700 billion Baht loss in barely two and a half years, impeachment on grounds of 'negligence' seems a bit mild. Still with such impeachment a court case could be started not judging the policy but how the policy was positioned, defended and could lead to such horrendous loss.

• Like 1

Could it possibly be because the Shins are the worst offenders ?

It is not bias parrot it is going after those who have broken the law, you are clearly the one who is bias.

It could be psittacosis.

So, impeachment is going to be delayed ? Delayed forever ?

By the way, this man looks like the man who was the owner of my favourite Chinese restaurant. I really do think that what Thailand needs is a load of indigenous Thais to make the real big decisions in Thailand. Or at least, people who look more like the indigenous Thais.

Would you accept someone from Nakhon Ratchasima?

Hello, is that a question for me ? :)

I think it at least looks better when we have ethnic Thais (or indigenous Thais) being in charge of the whole thing. Thais who are not Chinese actually make up most of the Thais. Someone from Nakhon Ratchasima ?

Well, if the man eats mainly sticky rice, follows Thai kick-boxing, speaks Isaan as well as Thai, did previously actually have a job where his hands got dirty (or a physical job, not some desk job), and doesn't look Chinese at all, well, I think such a man would at least look good. Thailand needs leaders who look like (and are of the same background) what most Thais actually look like. Thailand needs leaders who are actually representative of most of the Thais. A leader that the Thais can identify with !!

Which law exactly has Yingluck Shinawatra broken?

She hasn't broken any laws.

She had the cheek to win an election, and presumed to have the right to govern because she had an electoral mandate!

And yes, controversially that could be interpreted as including a mandate to arrange the return of her brother!

Anyway, that was then. Now she remains popular with the great unwashed, electorally a potent weapon for Thaksins faction, and therefore she must be impeached and banned from political activity.

Justice has the cubed root of bugger all to do with it