Atm Fees Are Killing Me...

(i am not from australlia, and i am not born in 1980)

My bank charges me 2 USD for every ATM withdrawal, and starting this month will charge another 5 USD International fee... so a total of $7 USD for each withdrawal....

I originally went to www.netbank.com and got what was supposed to be a no-fee international ATM card. When I tried to use it in LOS, it didnt work. When I called them, they said that I never attempted to use it.

What are some other alternatives? Opening a bank account in LOS sounds like a gignatic headache. The last thing in the world I feel like doing is making another trip to my embassy for paper work.

When you transfer money into Thailand to your thai bank account, what kind of fees/taxes are imposed on the transfer?

My bank charges me 2 USD for every ATM withdrawal, and starting this month will charge another 5 USD International fee... so a total of $7 USD for each withdrawal....

I originally went to www.netbank.com and got what was supposed to be a no-fee international ATM card. When I tried to use it in LOS, it didnt work. When I called them, they said that I never attempted to use it.

What are some other alternatives? Opening a bank account in LOS sounds like a gignatic headache. The last thing in the world I feel like doing is making another trip to my embassy for paper work.

When you transfer money into Thailand to your thai bank account, what kind of fees/taxes are imposed on the transfer?

Go to the Kasikorn bank or Bangkok bank, 50 meters from the Emporium dept store with yr passport, and a deposit.

Ask for an Intl DEBIT card and open a SAVINGS a/c.

If you have any problems, ask for a supervisor. No work permit is required.... you are in a farang area, so you shouldn't have any problems. :o

Go to the Kasikorn bank or Bangkok bank, 50 meters from the Emporium dept store with yr passport, and a deposit.

If you have any problems, ask for a supervisor. No work permit is required.... you are in a farang area, so you shouldn't have any problems. :o

How do I initiate a wire from my bank in the USA to a thai bank from Thailand?

One year ago , I find any purchase or debit was costing me 3 % on my visa !

After complaining I got a wave a the yearly fee !

Now I am doing a transfer from my oversea bank to my Thailand bank account !

Just send your own currency and change it in Thailand .

The Bangkok Bank at Emporium will not under any circumstances allow a foreigner to open an account with just a passport and a deposit. They have a sign stating so in clear view at the new acconts desk. Last time I was there, there was a farang tourist in there trying to open an account and asked to talk to the manager and they still flatly refused even though he wanted to initially deposit several tens of thousands of USD. For a tourist to open an account there, the easiest thing to do is to go to your embassy and get a certified copy of your passport or else a recommendation from your current bank if that is acceptable to them. Most banks in Thailand, including almost all Bangkok Bank branches, are much stricter than before and will not alllow you to open an account with just a passport. These are new requirements as of the first part of this year. I've seen several reports of several banks in Pattaya that have relaxed rules, but I think you'll have a hard time opening an account in BKK without further documentation.

Hey

Unless you specifically want a Thai account, I wouldn't bother.

I presume you still have a valid USA driving licence ? If so, the best way to get totally free ATM useage is via HSBCdirect, you also get a great interest rate, presently 5.05%.

Open an online account with them, 'tie' it to your existing USA account and you can then transfer money from your existing account to HSBC and they issue you with an ATM card and you can withdraw from any HSBC ATM worldwide for free, I think up to $ 500 per day. The conversion rate is excellent. Even if you use it in a non-HSBC ATM, there is only a $ 1.50 fee.

Bangkok have HSBC ATM's. This just might answer all your problems.

Kind regards

Peter

The Bangkok Bank at Emporium will not under any circumstances allow a foreigner to open an account with just a passport and a deposit.
Hmm, I wonder why they were so courteus to me just because I opened the a/c with $200 & my passport...... no proof of address. :o

Try the Kasikorn. :D

THis is strange considering al foreign currncy coming into Thailand is cleared through BKB because it is the clearing bank for Thailand.

Try Siam Commercial Bank

I got two accounts with them in different parts of thialand

macb

The Bangkok Bank at Emporium will not under any circumstances allow a foreigner to open an account with just a passport and a deposit.
Hmm, I wonder why they were so courteus to me just because I opened the a/c with $200 & my passport...... no proof of address. :o

I had no problem getting a Thai bank account. Got a few bart simpsons in it now. Ha ha. Just went in with my passport and 200 baht. Siam bank i fink. Purple

I use my Credit Union in the states to make ATM withdrawals here in Thailand. Pay $1 a withdrawal.

((I withdraw the limit imposed by the ATM here to reduce the fees ... and deposit to my local account at Siam Commercial Bank)) SCB wanted my passport and the non-imm visa in it when I initially opened the account in Hua Hin. Here in Kamala I recently opened another account ... they only wanted my old account book and a copy of the front page of my passport.

Quick note ...... I highly advise having mutiple points of access to cash at any given time ... lose an ATM card etc etc etc ... and if you don't have back ups you could get jammed up! I have the 2 Thailand accounts .. one credit card (local) and one cc (USA) plus the USA accounts ... someone gets your passport and ATM card and if you don't have a back-up plan and you could be screwed

Edited by jdinasia

Guest endure

Good point, JD! For the Brits reading this open yourself an extra Flexaccount and ATM card and get online banking set up so you can transfer between the two. This was suggested to me by Nationwide when I asked them about lost cards.

If you don't want to go the Thai Bank route, just change banks or use multiple bank/credit unions and maintain a balance in the one with lower/no ATM fees. As explained earlier by many, have multiple sources. My main source is credit union via ATM and I have a backup card incase one gets eaten or ruined. Have access to other accounts as well and final backup for cash is VISA/MC which I actually had to use last year when source US bank had problem with PIN/ATM. Suggest also you always have "outside" number (not 1-800's and 1-888 numbers, if US bank) for banks for contact, as I have yet to find a way to steadily connect using any of the "free" numbers. Mentioned above was 3 percent surcharge. Most US banks have some sort of surcharge (1, 2, 3 percent) for all charges made in non-US currency (not only Thai baht, but also Euro, Yen, Aus/Sing dollar, etc.). If you use your credit card often over here (probably not important if just short vacation, etc) that you find credit card which does not charge. Capital One at last glance did not charge.

Lots of smaller tricks to keep down expenses. True, they are more nuisances than big-time expenses, but no one likes being 'ripped off', even for small change.

I checked on their web site, looking for the ATM locations in Bangkok. Guess how many there are? ONE! Is that convenient? :o

Good news is they allow a Bt 40,000 per day max. in withdrawls.

I checked on their web site, looking for the ATM locations in Bangkok. Guess how many there are? ONE! Is that convenient? :D

Good news is they allow a Bt 40,000 per day max. in withdrawls.

Hi I have an HSBC internet account and use it every time I come home to LOS. And I am CHARGED every time its used!!! unlike previous posts. So maybe it depends on what side of the water u live?/ (Surely we are not being ripped off on the UK. HOHO !!!) :o

I've never had a problem with Netbank. No ATM fees. Can xfer USD to Thailand using the Netbank website. Takes 1 minute work and the money hits the Thai bank in 2-3 days. NO LIMIT on the amount of xfer either; unlike a lot of US banks.

Wonder why it takes 2 or 3 days. My US to Thailand transfers if called at Midnight are in the bank here in Thailand before noon. Believe that is normal for US/Thai transfers but the 2/3 days more normal for UK/Thai transfers from reporting.

Maybe it's because you're so handsome and the girl was so madly in love with you that she just went ahead and opened the account for you. :D When was this that you opened that account? To my knowledge, last year most Bangkok Bank branches would open an account with just a passport but the rules changed sometime around the first of the year. As of one month ago, the rule was still in effect and the sign stating the requirements in plain view at the new accounts desk. All the regular girls working the new accounts desk and the manager strictly enforce the rule. Maybe it was someone substituting that day who didn't know the rule, or maybe you opened your account last year? If not, what was the name of the person who let you open your account with just a passport? I'd like to ask her next time I'm in there why they don't enforce the rule equally to everyone. Oh, if you already have an account with Bangkok Bank, that's also sufficient for them to allow you to open an account with just a passport. You are correct that they don't require proof of address. You can give them any address you like and as long as it looks good they'll open the account provided you meet their other requirements.

For anyone posting about what the requirements are for opening a bank account, please always state which branch and equally important when it was. Lots of people opened accounts years ago and seem to think nothing's changed since then.

Edited by Soju

I am from Australia. The only bank that does not pass the charge to WestPac is Siam City Commercial Bank. Others charge (or I see it as a charge) 5A$ per transaction.

Twice a month, not a drama, the better exhchange rate makes up for that.

And, really, how could 7$ per withdrawal kill you or even make you notice that?

Are you taking out 400B twice a day?

I've just opened Nationwide's Flex account, which boasts no withdrawal fees for any ATM in the world. Does any else hold this account and if so, does it do exactly what it says on the tin?

We are using this now and I believe it to be correct, but just to be sure I'll juat check again on the Internet.

Regards

Moss

I've just opened Nationwide's Flex account, which boasts no withdrawal fees for any ATM in the world. Does any else hold this account and if so, does it do exactly what it says on the tin?

We are using this now and I believe it to be correct, but just to be sure I'll juat check again on the Internet.

Regards

Moss

Yes just checked, doesn't appear to be any charges relating to withdrwals or payments, but then thats what they state in the literature.

I would suggest you will be fine.

Good Luck

Moss

I do not know about flex , my visa charge me about 3 % for withdraw or purchass !

my amex charge me a fee of 1.50 $ but the rate of change is not good as visa !

try compare the both : flexi versue visa

Here are some examples of bank fees and charges .Amounts are in AUD.

Withdrawal at an ATM, Debit card $5, Visa CC $5 plus 1.5% of the amount withdrawn.

Telegraphic Transfer 1 HSBC(Aust) to Bangkok Bank $50 via HSBC(Bangkok).

2 Commonwealth Bank Aust $22 direct to Bangkok Bank,using the Intenet to access the accounts. Transfer time is usually 3 bank business days excluding Sat,Sun and public holidays.

I've never had a problem with Netbank. No ATM fees. Can xfer USD to Thailand using the Netbank website. Takes 1 minute work and the money hits the Thai bank in 2-3 days. NO LIMIT on the amount of xfer either; unlike a lot of US banks.

Wonder why it takes 2 or 3 days. My US to Thailand transfers if called at Midnight are in the bank here in Thailand before noon. Believe that is normal for US/Thai transfers but the 2/3 days more normal for UK/Thai transfers from reporting.

lop, which banks are you using? I use Netbank US --> Krung Thai Thailand. However, with Krung Thai the xfer is not direct; it must first go through an 'intermediary bank' in the US and then on to Krung Thai in Thailand. Perhaps this has something to do with the 2-3 xfer; I really don't know. I don't really care because I seldom xfer money (just use ATM) and 3 days wait is not a problem at all.

LDB

• 1 month later...

I do not know about flex , my visa charge me about 3 % for withdraw or purchass !

my amex charge me a fee of 1.50 $ but the rate of change is not good as visa !

try compare the both : flexi versue visa

Hi, I have been in Thailand 5 months. Just seen this thread. I ONLY use my Nationwide Flex Debit card at ATM's for ALL my financing. Look for machines with VISA accepted (most).

I have NEVER been deducted bank charges or commission. The exchange rates used are also excellent. YES "it does do exactly what it says on the tin". I believe it is the ONLY UK banking service that offers such good terms (being STILL mutual building Society).

Please note however, If you move and live in Thailand, then Nationwide will NOT allow you to register a Thailand address with them for statements, Visa cards address, cards, correspondence etc.

I have Internet on-line banking with them so I can see everything immediately. I use my best mate's UK address for Nationwide's records and correspondence (they know - only solution).

ONLY problem. If you do Internet purchases OF COURSE the retailer will ONLY deliver to the registered UK registered address. A nuisance to me.

The reason Nationwide will not accept a Thai address is they consider Thailand a HIGH banking fraud area. BUT they have no problems with my MANY Flex card ATM debits (BUT I have told them I am here and to expect many debits form Thailand).

Hope this helps

Dave

lop, which banks are you using? I use Netbank US --> Krung Thai Thailand. However, with Krung Thai the xfer is not direct; it must first go through an 'intermediary bank' in the US and then on to Krung Thai in Thailand. Perhaps this has something to do with the 2-3 xfer; I really don't know. I don't really care because I seldom xfer money (just use ATM) and 3 days wait is not a problem at all.

LDB

I use Bangkok Bank here and my regional bank in the US has been using Chase New York for transfer recently.

I use my HSBC account in Hong Kong which I use for investing (tax free) in many currencies.

I also have a local Bkk Bank account with ATM - I have linked this a/c to my HSBC a/c for internet overseas transfers (by registering it with HSBC). I can transfer up to Bt5mill/day very quickly. Today I transferred under Bt2mill and the TT charges are HK$130 (approx Bt630).

One problem with ATMs is the small daily limit - impractical for big ticket items.