Atm Fees Are Killing Me...

Go to the Kasikorn bank or Bangkok bank, 50 meters from the Emporium dept store with yr passport, and a deposit.

Ask for an Intl DEBIT card and open a SAVINGS a/c.

If you have any problems, ask for a supervisor. No work permit is required.... you are in a farang area, so you shouldn't have any problems. :o

The Bangkok Bank at Emporium will not under any circumstances allow a foreigner to open an account with just a passport and a deposit. They have a sign stating so in clear view at the new acconts desk. Last time I was there, there was a farang tourist in there trying to open an account and asked to talk to the manager and they still flatly refused even though he wanted to initially deposit several tens of thousands of USD. For a tourist to open an account there, the easiest thing to do is to go to your embassy and get a certified copy of your passport or else a recommendation from your current bank if that is acceptable to them. Most banks in Thailand, including almost all Bangkok Bank branches, are much stricter than before and will not alllow you to open an account with just a passport. These are new requirements as of the first part of this year. I've seen several reports of several banks in Pattaya that have relaxed rules, but I think you'll have a hard time opening an account in BKK without further documentation.

go to the immigration office and ask them for a bank acct slip they will give you one stamp it ok and charge you 200 baht fee it on the application form just look and it will be accepted by all thai banks

To the original poster: I've hada Netbank account for some time and never had a problem using the ATMs in Thailand.

However, I am going to have to figure out how to work the Netbank to Thai bank transfer over the net. If I can pull that one off without charge, then I should be able to transfer whatever money I need each month, if necessary.

John

Go to the Kasikorn bank or Bangkok bank, 50 meters from the Emporium dept store with yr passport, and a deposit.

If you have any problems, ask for a supervisor. No work permit is required.... you are in a farang area, so you shouldn't have any problems. :o

The Bangkok Bank at Emporium will not under any circumstances allow a foreigner to open an account with just a passport and a deposit. They have a sign stating so in clear view at the new acconts desk. Last time I was there, there was a farang tourist in there trying to open an account and asked to talk to the manager and they still flatly refused even though he wanted to initially deposit several tens of thousands of USD. For a tourist to open an account there, the easiest thing to do is to go to your embassy and get a certified copy of your passport or else a recommendation from your current bank if that is acceptable to them. Most banks in Thailand, including almost all Bangkok Bank branches, are much stricter than before and will not alllow you to open an account with just a passport. These are new requirements as of the first part of this year. I've seen several reports of several banks in Pattaya that have relaxed rules, but I think you'll have a hard time opening an account in BKK without further documentation.

depends. Bangkok bank asked for a copy of passport from embassy (1,250 THB - bloody British embassy!) then opened account with passport and copy (you have other choices on the form but for a tourist that is the easiest)

Krung Thai bank I and the wife both opened accounts with passports and a local friend as an introducer. No WP or passport copy! It all depends on who you ask..........

(i am not from australlia, and i am not born in 1980)

My bank charges me 2 USD for every ATM withdrawal, and starting this month will charge another 5 USD International fee... so a total of $7 USD for each withdrawal....

I originally went to www.netbank.com and got what was supposed to be a no-fee international ATM card. When I tried to use it in LOS, it didnt work. When I called them, they said that I never attempted to use it.

What are some other alternatives? Opening a bank account in LOS sounds like a gignatic headache. The last thing in the world I feel like doing is making another trip to my embassy for paper work.

When you transfer money into Thailand to your thai bank account, what kind of fees/taxes are imposed on the transfer?

How do I initiate a wire from my bank in the USA to a thai bank from Thailand?

Log on to internet banking, then choose "transfers" (at least with most banks).

I've never had a problem with Netbank. No ATM fees. Can xfer USD to Thailand using the Netbank website. Takes 1 minute work and the money hits the Thai bank in 2-3 days. NO LIMIT on the amount of xfer either; unlike a lot of US banks.

Wonder why it takes 2 or 3 days. My US to Thailand transfers if called at Midnight are in the bank here in Thailand before noon. Believe that is normal for US/Thai transfers but the 2/3 days more normal for UK/Thai transfers from reporting.

If I make a transfer to Thailand from Channel Islands (effectively UK), the screen shows "sent for manual processing" and it takes a couple of days. To other destinations I have tried so far, it is more or less immediate and no such message. Must be some kind of restriction between UK and Thailand....

Think too mut i was taught that if you "save the pennies the pounds will look after themselves".

You obviously have more money than you know what to do with. Why would anyone want to pay uneccesary charges to a greedy bank?

If the OP is making 15 withdrawals per month of 10000 baht this measly $7 is totalling $105. This is $1260 per year. If there are banks available with lower charges, or no charges then who wouldnt want to switch? Perhaps $1260 is not a lot of money to you but it sure is to me.

I am from the UK and have a Nationwide flex account with ATM card. No charges whatsoever and excellent exchange rates.

Well i should not be surprised at the changes in policy at BKK Bank as it seems to depend who you deal with.

In response to the above.......i can only say that i opened a savings account on Monday 2nd October 2006 and used only my passport, proof of address ( rental agreement ), 1000 baht cash deposit and paid 300 baht for my International Debit Card ( Be1st) THey gave me my card after about 30 mins, i keyed in my PIN number i wanted on that machine they use and hey presto! Account now up and running. I don,t know the girls name ( never thought to ask or look ) but it was desk number 16.

Did not see any sign about farangs etc but was not looking so they may/may not be there.

I did ask about a checking account also but she stated that can only happen when i have my work permit also.

So.........certainly the BKK Bank ( silom road ) is still allowing farangs to open savings accounts with very little difficulty. Hope that helps.

I have been using my credit union account with First Entertainment FCU and it appears that I pay about 50 baht for a withdrawal of 10,000 baht from all different Thai ATMs. The credit union charges me nothing. I believe that the 50 baht is partially a fee imposed by the Thai bank, and some sort of currency exchange fee. I have examined my bank statements and calculated out the currency exchange rate and it never exceeds 0.5% including all fees.

Typically a wire transfer will impose a 1% currency exchange fee, plus a per transaction fee of at least 15 USD, so this appears to be a very good deal, especially compared to my account with Washington Mutual Bank, which costs about 7 USD a transaction. Similarly, a friend has used his Chase Bank account with horrible service fees. And I believe that even HSBC charges a 1% currency exchange fee.

I highly recommend looking into opening a credit union account.

siam commercial bank savings account - passport only

kasikorn savings - passport only

ayudaha(?) saving - passport only

all with ATM cards that can be used as debit cards in stores etc

no work permit requested, they all simply copied the passport and that was it

• 3 weeks later...

So, the gist of most experiences in BKK is that some Banks will allow you to open an account, but others may not?

How about if one has a non-Immigrant "O" Visa (1 year), that will obviously be visibly stamped in my Passport?

I assume that would "strengthen" my case, but is it a GUARANTEE that they will open an account?

And if I opened the account at a BKK Branch, I assume I have access to funds anywhere in Thailand that has an ATM /Branch of the same institution (Phuket, Pattaya, etc..)??

Lastly, if one comes in to the Bank with a large amount of cash (in foreign currency), is it immediately converted into Baht, or can some of it be converted and the rest kept in Dollars/ Euros? And does that draw suspicion or need Managerial approval?

(Example : Go into Bank with US$10,000 and set up a Baht account with $5000 and keep the remaining $5K in a US$ account--possible??)

Appreciate any/all advice.

H

siam commercial bank savings account - passport only

kasikorn savings - passport only

ayudaha(?) saving - passport only

all with ATM cards that can be used as debit cards in stores etc

no work permit requested, they all simply copied the passport and that was it