What is a reasonable income for living in Thailand?

Bill Miller

The problem is that there are so many farang that come to live in Thailand and just cannot live alone! They find it impossible and some to the point of " suicidal " ( i myself love living alone and " doing my own thing " why complicate things..? ) I would say that 75 percent of Farang males that are here in Thailand fall into this bracket ( it's a recognized fact ) These types are desperate to have a lady with them 24 hours a day and unfortunately that's why for these types of farang Thailand will be one of the most expensive places in the world..............

Farang Jaidee ( single and living a simple life...) wub.png

What is a reasonable amount!! nothing mate, get out and work tell her and your family do the same.

My wife works got a good job never asks for 1 baht. Has control over my money (because i cannot get to a.t.m.)

Our home is new build , paid for . Ipay internet,water, electric, any other extra expense. Wife pays for food,cleaning products etc. fuel for car.

No problems what so ever.

• Like 1

You are totally correct about how many farlangs would rather not live alone and end up making Thailand an expensive place to retire. In my opinion a reasonable living expense would range anywhere between 60K-75K, I usually spend less than this but I play golf quite a bit, don't really spend much time at the bars and enjoy the quiet side of town. Now that I am with a girl that has her own job, I am saving about 30K a month. As before I was with a girl that had no job, so she was bored most of the time and ended up just causing me heartache in the long run, "Idle mind is a Devils playground".

• Like 2

What's the difference between giving money every month and not giving any money but woman having total control of your money. Serious question.

A woman should never have control over your money! She should have her own job and own money! ( money should never be discussed ) 50 / 50 with all bills.If she doesn't like that arrangement then let her walk away and find a more " gullible farang " that will pay her money every month!

I totally agree, a woman should never be in control of the money. When it comes to money, I don't think Thai people save for tomorrow, they just think about today. I guess it's kind of cool in a way which makes them so easy going on the outside but I think on the inside they have to be stressing big time because they do not know how to save or plan for the future. Can't blame most of them though, I would say atleast 60% of the population is lacking a good education. If I were to let my last girl friend be in control of my money, I would not be here right now, I'd either be on the streets in Thailand begging or back in the states working. I learned my lesson but it's always interesting to see guys that are about to make the plunge with a girl that is running a game on a guy that has fallen in love, it's never a happy ending for the farlang. I am happy this forum exists so that I can learn through other peoples experiences.

• Like 1

What an unhappy, sheltered life you must have.

I live in a small village, mostly older people looking after their grandchildren, and I think nearly all of them receive support from their family. As far as I know, parents are looked after, much more so than in the West. Many guys on Thaivisa seem to think that the Thais are all a bunch of evil money grabbing morons. That's because they live in places like Pattaya and Phuket.

Whomever it was that said "with age comes wisdom" was obviosuly a dolt.

If it's normal in your little village then SAY THAT; don't say it's normal in Thailand as a whole because no Thai woman I know expects a man - Thai or foreigner - to break off a wad to her parents in part consideration for her companionship or affections.

If you're moving in those desperate circles then that's up to you but you shouldn't be advising another man to emulate your rank stupidity regardless of how "normal" you claim it is.

You should be advising him to have some bloody self-respect and avoid making your mistakes

Deary me what an aggressive, naughty person you are and what an unhappy life you must lead! I don't lead a desperate life thank you very much. I am a granddad and will soon need looking after myself, and I expect it: I looked after the family for long enough. Let's try it another way: there is no pension system in Thailand. I am not talking about breaking off a wad I am talking about making sure that they have enough to eat, have a roof, stuff like that. I DID NOT advise the OP to spend a lot of money on his girl's parents, I said that it is considered normal to do so in Thailand. Yes it is, maybe you should leave Pattaya and see what kind of life most people lead. Maybe the kind of Thai woman that you know can't go home and so doesn't need money to support her parents. All the more for her of course. Rank stupidity? Well well, you aren't making a good impression yourself, are you?

• Like 1

I have been reading that living in Bangkok it was costing approximately 1 million baht A year for A single farang.Married farang

Quite A bit lower.Now I'm hearing more.I mean A single man for 1 day could be 6000-8000 baht easy no problem.

Now if the same man is conservative eating street foot,low price room then maybe closer to 1000-1500 A day.I'm not an expert on

Living conservatively.If I want something I go and buy it with in reason.

But then you have the other end of the scale as i live on 5,500 baht a month - " all in " ( Pattaya )

In Bangkok i could live on 7000 baht - " All In "

100 baht a day is plenty for delicious Thai food! ( in fact i ate a delicious Thai Yellow chicken curry with rice in town earlier for 70 baht ( freshly made in the Wok ) are your mouths watering viewers...?

F.J x

Canary we are all so over your repeative rants about how cheap you life. Are you trying to impress because if so its a full time bore. The op was about having a different life to yours. He has a chick. From all your posts you don't drink or shag.....great for you. Also you cut your own fruit and eat 29 baht bowls. Oh and take 14 baht train rides. (Wherever they are) ....fact is ..has nothing to do with the op. He is probably a half normal bloke asking how much it costs to live here. You take self obsession to a new level.

• Like 1

I live in a small village, mostly older people looking after their grandchildren, and I think nearly all of them receive support from their family. As far as I know, parents are looked after, much more so than in the West. Many guys on Thaivisa seem to think that the Thais are all a bunch of evil money grabbing morons. That's because they live in places like Pattaya and Phuket.

If it's normal in your little village then SAY THAT; don't say it's normal in Thailand as a whole because no Thai woman I know expects a man - Thai or foreigner - to break off a wad to her parents in part consideration for her companionship or affections.

If you're moving in those desperate circles then that's up to you but you shouldn't be advising another man to emulate your rank stupidity regardless of how "normal" you claim it is.

You should be advising him to have some bloody self-respect and avoid making your mistakes

Deary me what an aggressive, naughty person you are and what an unhappy life you must lead! I don't lead a desperate life thank you very much. I am a granddad and will soon need looking after myself, and I expect it: I looked after the family for long enough. Let's try it another way: there is no pension system in Thailand. I am not talking about breaking off a wad I am talking about making sure that they have enough to eat, have a roof, stuff like that. I DID NOT advise the OP to spend a lot of money on his girl's parents, I said that it is considered normal to do so in Thailand. Yes it is, maybe you should leave Pattaya and see what kind of life most people lead. Maybe the kind of Thai woman that you know can't go home and so doesn't need money to support her parents. All the more for her of course. Rank stupidity? Well well, you aren't making a good impression yourself, are you?

LOL

I don't live in Pattaya. In fact, I've never even BEEN to Pattaya.

I live in Bangkok and I have Thai female friends who have non-entertainment jobs as lawyers, accountants and pharmacists. Even women who work in offices as secretaries or administrators don't expect coin for themselves and family.

None of their boyfriends or husbands break off a wad to their parents; parents they see regularly, I might add.

It's not normal in Thailand to pay an allowance to the wife and support her parents too.

Clearly, your Thailand is different to mine. Mine isn't conditional on paying a woman for her affections.

Frankly, I pity you

So many issues where would we start.... Anger management or maybe know it all re education

So many issues where would we start.... Anger management or maybe know it all re education

Oh look. More psychoanalysis.

I find it amusing that those who do the most complaining, bitching and whinging about life in Thailand are the ones accusing the guy who's never posted a single rant about the country of being "angry".

You people either need to look up the defintion of "anger" or expand your vocabulary.

• Like 1

LOL

I don't live in Pattaya. In fact, I've never even BEEN to Pattaya.

I live in Bangkok and I have Thai female friends who have non-entertainment jobs as lawyers, accountants and pharmacists. Even women who work in offices as secretaries or administrators don't expect coin for themselves and family.

None of their boyfriends or husbands break off a wad to their parents; parents they see regularly, I might add.

It's not normal in Thailand to pay an allowance to the wife and support her parents too.

Clearly, your Thailand is different to mine. Mine isn't conditional on paying a woman for her affections.

Frankly, I pity you

Sorry, but you are comparing apples with oranges. I agree with you that a large majority of Thais from middle income families are not expected to support their parents in their addled old age, although I know a few exceptions. But lets move a little further away from semi-monied families, whose parents have money suifficient for their retirement. In such cases, support of the homesteader mother and father is quite normal. Thailand isn't all middle class, which takes up less than 25 percent of the population (probably less than that but I am too lazy to check at this hour).

BTW what percentage of the population lives in the wonderful metropolis of Bangkok - 10% ?

• Like 2

cooked, I see nothing incorrect about your statement , as I have said before this site and the opinions are like butt holes every one has one. Jacksam is obviously jaded, and the other guy who said he has all those high powered lady friends lawyers, managers etc., owes himself a trip outside of BKK, and he should not delude himself into thinking a good education and good job, precludes any chance that she might be a someone looking for a husband to support her. even in his own country there are high paid female workers and there still looking for the deep wallet and a family etc etc. some of these guys have been here just long enough to think they know everything, and they don't. I have been coming to Thailand since 1980, most of them were not alive then and the ones who were, were teen agers. in the 34 years I have been coming to Thailand and having been married to a Thai. I still don't know everything. we are the farang, and the guy who said that we are perceived as all being rich, is to some degree true. the Thai's who live in BKK are a bit more cosmopolitan then the people who live in smaller towns and villages. oh the population of BKK the last I heard is around 9 million, that I think is more like 30 or 40% of the total population.

• Like 1

Yes rubbish I agree. Before I came to Thailand my girlfriend (my wife now) didn't even want me to buy and send her anything because she wanted me to save money for coming to be with her. My wife never has asked me for money. There is no separation in (OUR) money or finances.

Hmm. Somewhat bemused by the folks who think it unthinkable to aid in the support of an aged father in law. Then again I AM the type of loser who puts my spare change in the charity boxes, and makes the odd contribution to temples, churches, etc., even ones at which I am not a member.
Perhaps I have been contaminated by reading too much philosophy, and the dharmas of creating compassion and charity in the world?
Maybe I am just too old and live too much by the lessons of my youth, id est to honour the aged, and love thy neighbour, etc.
Again, thanks to those with thoughtful and genuine advice and anecdotes.
Some of you lotbeware of Karma; she can be a bitch. wai.gif

It should be known that the poster concerned is a founding member of TV's very own Angry Little Boys Club (ALBC)

From what I understand most of the membership are "digital nomads" with chips on their shoulders and full of self entitlement ;)

• Like 1

Yes rubbish I agree. Before I came to Thailand my girlfriend (my wife now) didn't even want me to buy and send her anything because she wanted me to save money for coming to be with her. My wife never has asked me for money. There is no separation in (OUR) money or finances.

Well that's your decision, but if you don't have a slush fund or get out of dodge money one could suggest your being a tad naive then, you never know what tomorrow brings, so my advice plan for the worst and hope for the best

Ask yourself this question, if she did the dirty on you tomorrow, could you walk away and start over or are you screwed because you put all your eggs in one basket ?

And yes we know she is different

Edited by Soutpeel

I'm sick and tired of these bullshit questions! Everybody knows how much is a short time, ask her how much she wants for a longtime... Or, get rid of the professional, and try to find a real wife that feels for u instead of ur wallet... U sound pretty ignorant to me, so condolences To u, ur dead meat

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

" Her idea is that a proper "boyfriend" takes care of all of his girlfriend's financial needs including her family, of course."

What a load of rubbish ..... mate , if you believe that then you are surely gonna get taken for a ride. coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJARfU4 alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

It's all part of "the game."They throw an outrageous quote out there, you come up with a ridiculous counter offer,like zero.Don't start half way,cos there is only one way to go.String this out for years.

Sounds to me more like what you do when buying a Used Car then forming a serious loving relationship.

With 65 KB pm you would be upper middle class, not HiSo.

If you want to cope with Bangkok HiSo snobs you would need more, but in this case you wouldn't need to ask TVF, would you?

Didn't need to ask TVF in the first place. He has not bothered to reengage in the conversation so I am going out on a limb and calling this a troll post.

Dear counter-troll,

maybe he's just reading the posts.

You bet and laughing his head off.clap2.gif

Ah, yes, the ignore function.

Many really great people here, who give thoughtful and well intentioned answers. Thanks.

Then as in any area of human endeavor there are the plus perfect &lt;deleted&gt; whose only remaining purpose in life is to satisfy some purely personal image of their own cleverness and humour by insulting and ranking on others.

News flash: your public displays of mental masturbation are neither clever nor amusing.

Sod off. I am happy to block any further input of your deranged ramblings.

a million baht income per year, sure you are hiso in my eyes :)

just tell yourself, if you would not be there, how would she manage ?

bf / husband not paying anything

how did she manage for so many years before you ?

just lazy ass women

take care for me, my children, my ex-husband maybe also, parents, his parents, uncles, aunts, ... sick buffalo

Many really great people here, who give thoughtful and well intentioned answers. Thanks.

Then as in any area of human endeavor there are the plus perfect <deleted> whose only remaining purpose in life is to satisfy some purely personal image of their own cleverness and humour by insulting and ranking on others.

News flash: your public displays of mental masturbation are neither clever nor amusing.

"Ignore" is the cowards way out

Then as in any area of human endeavor there are the plus perfect <deleted> whose only remaining purpose in life is to satisfy some purely personal image of their own cleverness and humour by insulting and ranking on others.

"Ignore" is the cowards way out

Another one bites the dust!