Single entry N-O

So, on my last visit to Vientiane I only got a single N-O. Now it's time for a trip again. As they only gave me a single entry, does that mean that I have to visit the embassy again or is it enough to cross the border to get stamped?

Thanks!

Edit, in fewer words, is it possible to do visarun on a N-O single entry visa?

Edited by magnbol

If you cross the border and come back wihtout a new visa you would get only 15 days for a visa exempt entry.

If you intend to stay another 90 days, you need a new visa.

Thanks. I just need time to go to immigration to apply for 1 year multiple N-O. So I guess I'm OK with just 15 day's.

With a 15 day visa exempt entry you will have to apply for a 30 day extension before you can convert to an extension of stay based on .......?

You will have to apply in Bangkok and return 15 days later to get the actual conversion.

• Like 1

With a 15 day visa exempt entry you will have to apply for a 30 day extension before you can convert to an extension of stay based on .......?

You will have to apply in Bangkok and return 15 days later to get the actual conversion.

So there's no problem with the Visa already expired the 12th then when applying for a new? An extension will do?

Since you are married to a Thai you can apply for 60 day extension to visit your wife.

The after that 60 days you can apply for a one year extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon marriage or retirement.

After yoi get the extension you can then a apply for a re-entry permit. Single is 1000 baht and a multiple is 3800 baht.

• Like 1

Since you are married to a Thai you can apply for 60 day extension to visit your wife.

The after that 60 days you can apply for a one year extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon marriage or retirement.

After yoi get the extension you can then a apply for a re-entry permit. Single is 1000 baht and a multiple is 3800 baht.

Joe thanks again!! But can I ask for the 60 days extension in Vientiane? Last time they said they don't issue multiple N-O. So I'm worried that they don't "do it all" up there.

And further, my wife is here with me but we don't have any paperwork with us. That's all in bkk. (We're all in Nongkhai)

You apply for the extension at an immigration office not at the embassy in Vientiane.

If you want multiple entry non-o visa you will have to go to Savannakhet. You cannot get a multiple entry visa at immigration.

• Like 1

You apply for the extension at an immigration office not at the embassy in Vientiane.

If you want multiple entry non-o visa you will have to go to Savannakhet. You cannot get a multiple entry visa at immigration.

Would you recommend to apply for a new visa instead of the extension? I think I can get all the paperwork here in 2 day's. In that case I'll be going to Savannakhet.

And further, my wife is here with me but we don't have any paperwork with us. That's all in bkk. (We're all in Nongkhai)

In Nong Khai: I guess the best you can try for now, is to get another single Non O in Vientiane.

Get back to Thailand, get a 90 day entry and then sort out your situation at the local immigration office.

E.g. by applying for an extension of stay as described.

A Non-O is the right starting point for that.

Whats your intention?

Want to stay for a year and probably longer? (indefinite)

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Would you recommend to apply for a new visa instead of the extension? I think I can get all the paperwork here in 2 day's. In that case I'll be going to Savannakhet.

It depends upon what you want to do.

The 60 day extension would give your more time to get a multiple entry visa in Savannakhet or a one year extension of stay at immigration.

A one year extension of stay allows you to stay in the country without leaving unless you want to. With the multiple entry visa you must leave the country every 90 days.

For the one year extension based upon marriage you would need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 60 days or proof of 40k baht income.

• Like 1

So if we instead go to Vientiane and just apply for a new single entry non-o visa I will have what's needed to later apply for my non-o multiple entry visa at immigration in bkk, right?

At immigration you will apply for an extension of stay, not a visa.

The extension will be for 1 year and if you want to be able to leave and return to Thailand while keeping your extension alive, you will need a re-entry permit. (single 1,000 baht and a multiple 3,800 baht).

In Nong Khai: I guess the best you can try for now, is to get another single Non O in Vientiane.

Get back to Thailand, get a 90 day entry and then sort out your situation at the local immigration office.

E.g. by applying for an extension of stay as described.

A Non-O is the right starting point for that.

Whats your intention?

Want to stay for a year and probably longer? (indefinite)

My intention is to stay as long as possible, however I have to be back in Sweden for 2 month visit in June.

At immigration you will apply for an extension of stay, not a visa.

The extension will be for 1 year and if you want to be able to leave and return to Thailand while keeping your extension alive, you will need a re-entry permit. (single 1,000 baht and a multiple 3,800 baht).

Thanks for the clarification. So if I understand you correctly the only way to get the 1 year multiple N-O visa is to get it from a embassy?

So one actually don't need a valid visa as long as one got an extension before it ran out? How about when that extension is over? Can one get another on top or does it have to be a valid visa for each time?

Edited by magnbol

So one actually don't need a valid visa as long as one got an extension before it ran out? How about when that extension is over? Can one get another on top or does it have to be a valid visa for each time?

The visas validity does not matter because you are extending a permit to stay not the visa. You just have to do the extension before the 90 day permit to stay ends.

After the first extension you just keep extending your permit to stay for infinity.

• Like 1