Six days of the 'seven dangerous days' claim 302 lives and 2,843 injuries

webfact

Road mishaps now claim 302 lives and 2,843 injuries in six days

5-1-2558-12-45-11-wpcf_728x408.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Total death toll in six days of the "seven dangerous days" now stands at 302 killed and 2,843 people injured in 2,733 accidents.

The Road Safety Centre spokesman M.L. Panadda Diskul, also Prime Minister’s Office Minister, said a total of 302 people were killed and 2,843 injured in 2,733 accidents in the past six days of the seven dangerous days, starting December 30.

Only on Sunday January 4, there were 287 accidents nationwide with 42 deaths and 301 injuries, he said.

Drunk driving remained the cause of most accidents (27.53%), followed by speeding (26.83%)

Chiang Mai is the province with the highest number of 122 accident cases, 15 deaths, and 119 injuries.

The provinces with no reports of deaths are Trang, Narathiwat, Sing Buri and Nakhon Phanom.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/road-mishaps-now-claim-302-lives-2843-injuries-six-days

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-05

Based on the traffic, I'm convinced everyone in Bangkok was in Chiang Mai for new years, so it makes sense that city had the highest numbers. All you could see were Bangkok plates. Chaos. Glad it is over.

• Like 2

The Definition of drivers licence ..a license issued under governmental authority that permits the holder to operate a motor vehicle safely

The Definition of a drivers licence in Thailand ....a license issued under governmental authority to collect ...revenue” only

In Australia

25px-LVic.pngThe minimum age for obtaining a Learner Licence is 15 years and 9 months

25px-P1NSW.png

Provisional Licence applicants must be at least 16 years of age, held a Learner Licence for a minimum of six months, recorded driving experience a learner logbook with a supervisor who has held an open license for twelve months for the class of vehicle used or an accredited driving instructor, or has passed a practical driving test

Full Licence A Full Licence is upgradable after holding a Provisional Licence for three years.[4]

HAY HERE IS A START THAI GOVERNMENT OR IS IT ALL TOO HARD ????

• Like 1

Based on the traffic, I'm convinced everyone in Bangkok was in Chiang Mai for new years, so it makes sense that city had the highest numbers. All you could see were Bangkok plates. Chaos. Glad it is over.

Almost all cars on a "finance scheme" carry BKK plates because the credit- issueing bank (who keeps the original car papers and is the de facto- owner of that car) has its H.Q. in BKK...

btw: we should also note that the country in 2014 was flooded with another close to 1mill cars under the "first car first owner" scheme of the government - most of them can still be seen on the streets (a big portion, however, was recalled quickly by the banks because drivers could not pay back the loans ...)

Edited by thurien
  • Like 2

No need too much more and TH can take the first place from Namibia in the fatal road-accident / 100 000 people / year competition.

Namibia 45

TH 44.

So the gold medal is not so far cause in Namibia there are much less car than TH.

Edited by Loles

Only 4 provinces without accident death toll after 6 days

BANGKOK: -- After six days of the seven-day monitoring period for road accidents during the New Year holidays have passed, Trang, Narathiwat, Singburi and Nakhon Phanom became the only four provinces without deaths from the accidents.

On the contrary, Chiang Mai top the list of most deaths with 15 people killed so far.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Only-4-provinces-without-accident-death-toll-after-30251199.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-05

I know it's futile to expect a proper answer from the authorities. But, in most advanced countries, after a serious road accident, there is an investigation that might take days, in order to establish the actual cause of the crash.

Here of course, statistics are immediately available say 'drunk driver' 'speeding' etc etc. So, the decision on the cause is instantaneous - presumably by the cops.

I've been driving here for seven years and the absolute nearest I came to an accident was whilst driving at night through Khon Kaen on the main highway which was four lanes wide but which had 'absolutely' no road markings at all to identify those lanes. In other words, if I had been involved in a collision - with cars zig sagging across the width of the road, the authorities responsible for the upkeep would have had a great deal of responsibility.

Now I know posters might respond 'well they would zig zag anyway", but my point is that it is impossible to teach lane discipline to Thai's if there are no lanes indicated!.

The Definition of drivers licence ..a license issued under governmental authority that permits the holder to operate a motor vehicle safely

The Definition of a drivers licence in Thailand ....a license issued under governmental authority to collect ...revenue” only

In Australia

25px-LVic.pngThe minimum age for obtaining a Learner Licence is 15 years and 9 months

25px-P1NSW.png

Provisional Licence applicants must be at least 16 years of age, held a Learner Licence for a minimum of six months, recorded driving experience a learner logbook with a supervisor who has held an open license for twelve months for the class of vehicle used or an accredited driving instructor, or has passed a practical driving test

Full Licence A Full Licence is upgradable after holding a Provisional Licence for three years.[4]

HAY HERE IS A START THAI GOVERNMENT OR IS IT ALL TOO HARD ????

Aw! Come on Fred. You are asking too much. It means instilling discipline and that is being unreasonable.coffee1.gif

302 people dead are just 'mishaps' here are they???? No respect for life here!!

correction - no respect for the lives of the ordinary buffaloes.

Great respect (however undeserved) for the rich and famous with much Face from driving a Lamborghini.

A fender bender with a Lambo gets at least as much news coverage as a dozen buffaloes thrown from the back of a pickup truck.

In the end it does come down to education and the wrong choice of amulet....

Last year there were lot of rituals carried on various streets by monks to avoid accidents prone area, any update on them? did it really help? cause if it did, i suppose each year this can be practiced during holiday season.

Almost all cars on a "finance scheme" carry BKK plates because the credit- issueing bank (who keeps the original car papers and is the de facto- owner of that car) has its H.Q. in BKK...

btw: we should also note that the country in 2014 was flooded with another close to 1mill cars under the "first car first owner" scheme of the government - most of them can still be seen on the streets (a big portion, however, was recalled quickly by the banks because drivers could not pay back the loans ...)

So all the new BKK plates in Chiang Mai were people living locally who had brought their new cars on the finance scheme out for new years? Jeez... Chiang Mai is the number 1 place for Thais in BKK to vacation.

Edited by Alwyn

The figures are par for the course and it was so much fun they'll do it all again in April. Thailand's annual casualty list for road accidents, murders, suicides and weird deaths must be similar to a war zone and still foreigners flock to visit or live there. It makes me wonder who are the stupid ones in all this.

No they weren't, they were all in Pattaya!

Please tell us who the Genius was, who thought up that shameful headline? MISHAPS!!!

302 people dead can, in no way be referred to, as "Mishaps."

If whoever wrote that utter rubbish and whoever allowed it to be published, was working at any reputable News outlet, they wouldn't be working there anymore. They would have been fired and "blackballed" throughout the industry.

I am appalled to think that the families of the 302 dead victims of this wholesale slaughter on our roads, have been subjected to such abject callousness, as to have the death of one or more of their loved ones, described as a "MISHAP." Yes, I am angry and disgusted!

Edited by Torrens54

I see these statistics, every year, and then I think of when I was in Thailand during the Christmas, and New Years,

and I remember the drivers that were around me during those times.

I was lucky for the last several years, as I have had rides with my Thai relatives, who are non drinkers, and even they

would make comments of Kap Rot Maow, or Drunk driver! I remember seeing a few people who were weaving in the traffic,

or being quite obvious that something was not right with them.

I feel lucky to have survived my holidays during those times. For the past 5 years I have not been to Thailand

until after February, and by then it seems that the drivers are mostly back to normal.

In Alberta Canada, the young drivers get a graduated licence and cannot carry passengers, especially if they

drive at night. This is supposed to help the situation, but unfortunately, there is still a lot of accidents involving,

these young drivers. I am not sure if there is a way that we will see less crashes, in any of the

countries in the world, because it seems that the attitude of drivers is changing from bad to worse.

The attitude that it is okay to text and drive, or it is okay to do drugs and drive, versus drink and drive.

The attitude to just be generally jerks, and pretend to own the road, and cut people off in traffic, etc.

That is why we have a TV show, called Canada's worst driver, and we also have a U tube clip called,

Calgary's worst driver. Not the best way to have your drivers reputation on TV or any other media

form. Glad that I am older than 60 now, and am considered as one of those, old Geezer, drivers,

who should get a bus pass! Ha, ha, ha.

Stargeezer