Thailand Asbestos ban delayed; Cabinet say 'not enough evidence'

webfact

Why don't Thai authorities LOOK at farang investigations instead of hiding their heads under the sheets.....coffee1.gif .

Thais are always right!! Why else?

Russia, leads the planet in asbestos production. In 2000, production reached approximately 700,000 tons, much more than Canada and China. By 2008, mining in Russia produced more than 1 million tons of asbestos. http://www.asbestos.com/mesothelioma/worldwide.php

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most backward inward comment from a government responsible for its people I have ever heard , Evidence if you want it lies in a mates grave, Un- fortunately just because it hasn't happened doesn't say it wont and it is a wonder it hasn't , truth be known it has already happened and is being miss- diagnosed as lung cancer ,the Thai Administration just roll from one crises to another brain wave.coffee1.gif

The most backward inward comment from a government responsible for its people I have ever heard , Evidence if you want it lies in a mates grave, Un- fortunately just because it hasn't happened doesn't say it wont and it is a wonder it hasn't , truth be known it has already happened and is being miss- diagnosed as lung cancer ,the Thai Administration just roll from one crises to another brain wave.coffee1.gif

China is one of the world's largest producers of asbestos. The country mined more than 450,000 tons in 2000, a total that placed it behind only Russia in terms of production. Since, Chinese production has fallen. Its mining total fell to about 280,000 tons in 2008.

I think this just sums up so much about the place. To be frank. facepalm.gif

I agree... Seriously, do they really expect asbestos has different effects depending on the country where it's been used? Or (much more possible) banning asbestos will hit on the pocket of the usual influential people, so just let's hide head under the sand and what will be will be?

My god, if ever there was an example of the callous disregard for the ordinary Thai by this morally bankrupt regime this is it.

Kleosakul clearly has connections at the top (and paid some serious tea money) so screw all the poor Thai workers condemned to get cancer because of it.

I speak from painful experience, what this stuff does you wouldn`t wish on your worst enemy

sad.png

Which "morally bankrupt regime" has been in office most of the time since a ban was proposed in 2011 (as per OP)?

I was not aware of asbestos was widely being used here. I have cut many a floor tile and many cement board products since moving here.

Dont suppose the health department would even consider putting warning labels on these products containing asbestos to at least give the consumer a choice.

Just a related story from last year about the use of lead in just about every brand of Thai paint. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/676309-high-level-of-lead-found-in-many-paints-in-thailand/

Both tasks should use mask and goggles but unfortunately for asbestos the usual ones at hand are hardly sufficient. If the product is not affected by water simply do the task with the object wet and scrub the edges created by the cut.

This will significantly reduce airborne particulates and the additional burden of filtering run off water if required.

Warning labels would be nice though.

And to those who didn't know it was common, in BKK just have to look out over the houses to see the familar sight of asbestos. It may not be a problem now in thailand but when it comes to urban renewal periods and lots of demolitions or renovations, I am sure there will be enough eveidence for a ban. Might be 25 years lagged but it will happen,

I am well aware of asbestos, being in the construction industry, My point was if I had known I would have taken every precaution available to protect myself, and I haven't. I just had no idea it was being used here in the most common construction materials. I thought this shit was banned worldwide long ago.

My older brother died of mesothelioma at 51 years, he owned a brake and tire shop his hole adult life. Pretty sure thats what killed him at such a young age.

Edited by dcutman

My god, if ever there was an example of the callous disregard for the ordinary Thai by this morally bankrupt regime this is it.

Kleosakul clearly has connections at the top (and paid some serious tea money) so screw all the poor Thai workers condemned to get cancer because of it.

I speak from painful experience, what this stuff does you wouldn`t wish on your worst enemy

sad.png

Which "morally bankrupt regime" has been in office most of the time since a ban was proposed in 2011 (as per OP)?

I wonder!!

I wonder!!

You know I'm in complete agreement with all of you fellows but I do wonder why in condemning Thailand you also don't condemn Canada and Russia and Brazil and China. They all deserve equal damnation.

I wonder!!

You know I'm in complete agreement with all of you fellows but I do wonder why in condemning Thailand you also don't condemn Canada and Russia and Brazil and China. They all deserve equal damnation.

Give 'em all both barrels!!!

It is not dangerous at all, else most Thai would already have died.

Firmly bonded chrysotile cement sheet actually isn't that hazardous. Serpentine asbestos fibres are around 500 times less carcinogenic amphibole fibres.

Asbestos cement roofing sheets typically contain around 8-15% chrysotile/white asbestos.

Standard practice in UK demolition is to wet the sheets up and demolish under water sprays. Then load into covered wagons and haul to asbestos landfill.

Amphibole (brown/blue) asbestos is 500 times more lethal and is typically found in floor tiles or worse, fibrous lagging.

Why don't Thai authorities LOOK at farang investigations instead of hiding their heads under the sheets.....coffee1.gif .

Because Western scientific papers need first to be translated into words of one syllable that a child, or retarded adult, would be able to understand. Until that happens I doubt many people in Thailand will be able to understand.

I wonder!!

Are these countries forcing Thailand to use a dangerous material??

Asbestos has been banned in many countries for decades because it has been proven to be dangerous to ones health. The are many safer products that can be used with no or much lessor ill effects than this shiiit. Thailand uses it because its ever so slightly lessor expensive than a much safer product.

Edited by dcutman

Life is cheap in Asia. If someone unimportant dies then there is little investigation into why they died? If it was lung related then they would probably put it down to smoking without any investigation. I see thais cutting up those white asbestos boards with angle grinders, throwing up dust everywhere. Then there is arc welding using cheap sunglasses to protect their eyes! Not wishing to Thai bash, but Thailand will remain third world until the education, thinking and mindset improves!

Even for Thailand I find this 'lack of evidence' claim unbelievable. Clearly commercial interests are more important than health.

I lost a relative in UK to mesothelioma- very unpleasant death, and I held his hand in the hospice while he breathed his last painful breath.

He had insufficient funds to pay for his treatment so went to court to seek compensation. It was decided that as any one of his 3 employers 30 years earlier could have been responsible then none were guilty!. Odd justice, why not each of them contribute via their insurers?

But it is beyond a shadow of a doubt that asbestos is dangerous-and unnecessary. (There are alternatives) It still kills about 5000 people a year in UK despite being banned since 2000, as deaths trail back to asbestos fibre ingestion 30 years earlier..

Because Western scientific papers need first to be translated into words of one syllable that a child, or retarded adult, would be able to understand. Until that happens I doubt many people in Thailand will be able to understand.

Do you think the Thai Public Health Ministry, the Thai Industry Ministry, and the Thai Council of Work and Environment Related Patients Network of Thailand consists mainly of westerners? Or did the Thai Visa summary posted contain too many words for you? Any retarded adults around you can ask for help?

Life is cheap in Asia. If someone unimportant dies then there is little investigation into why they died? If it was lung related then they would probably put it down to smoking without any investigation. I see thais cutting up those white asbestos boards with angle grinders, throwing up dust everywhere. Then there is arc welding using cheap sunglasses to protect their eyes! Not wishing to Thai bash, but Thailand will remain third world until the education, thinking and mindset improves!

This is a thread about asbestos and Canada and Russia and Brazil are all as bad if not worse than Thailand why would you say the usual stuff about not wanting to bash? This asbestos is a mistake but not just a third world mistake. I suggest you do the research and improve your mindset.

Do you think the Thai Public Health Ministry, the Thai Industry Ministry, and the Thai Council of Work and Environment Related Patients Network of Thailand consists mainly of westerners? Or did the Thai Visa summary posted contain too many words for you? Any retarded adults around you can ask for help?

What is your point? Reread what I said, then think about it for a good long time...then, when the penny has finally dropped go and sit in the corner with your dunce hat on....dunce.

Edited by MJP

What is your point? Reread what I said, then think about it for a good long time...then, when the penny has finally dropped go and sit in the corner with your dunce hat on....dunce.

My point, should it not be obvious, is that the people wanting to ban it in Thailand are Thai. Presumably neither retarded, nor unable to understand words with more than one syllable.

Don't let the penny hit you on the head.

because the Farang investigations don't give the answer they want. The answer they want must be the right answer all the investigations must be flawed.

Easy - Thailand, where nothing is quiet the same, facts don't count and a lie is ethical.

sad.png

Edited by chooka

sad.png

So the current Administration has failed to take care of its citizens so let's blame the previous administration and exonerate the current of any failings. I thought this was to be an era of change, out with the old ways in in with new thoughts and putting the country ahead of personal gain. Appears nothing has changed, the old defence of the previous administration were incompetent so we can be as well and it's all thier fault, not ours.

sad.png

So the current Administration has failed to take care of its citizens so let's blame the previous administration and exonerate the current of any failings. I thought this was to be an era of change, out with the old ways in in with new thoughts and putting the country ahead of personal gain. Appears nothing has changed, the old defence of the previous administration were incompetent so we can be as well and it's all thier fault, not ours.

No such thing was implied, I was only pointing out that a ban has been suggested since 2011. That it has not been enacted can't be blamed ONLY on the current short-term administration as Tully stated.

To be fair, the last government had a lot on its plate with Yingluk's World Tour, returning Thaksin's passport, shovelling B700 billion into a black hole and lying about it, and arranging Thaksin's amnesty.

Edited by halloween

Jesús if this isn't serious corruption I don't know what is. The evidence is damming. I guess palms gave been greased. A dirty disgraceful business all round.

I'd just assumed it had been banned a lover the world.

Lives will be ruined.

It is not dangerous at all, else most Thai would already have died.

Firmly bonded chrysotile cement sheet actually isn't that hazardous. Serpentine asbestos fibres are around 500 times less carcinogenic amphibole fibres.

Asbestos cement roofing sheets typically contain around 8-15% chrysotile/white asbestos.

Standard practice in UK demolition is to wet the sheets up and demolish under water sprays. Then load into covered wagons and haul to asbestos landfill.

Amphibole (brown/blue) asbestos is 500 times more lethal and is typically found in floor tiles or worse, fibrous lagging.

Except when it's burnt like all the other trash over here. Big plumes of smoke containing fibre floating everywhere settling on farms and schools etc.