I am leaving Thailand. Which nearby country (or asian country) will allow us without visa hassle?

Malaysia has a lot going for it. I've been there many many times, It was always a relief to come back to Thailand. There's a kind of miserable haunting drollness about the place, I can't quite describe.

I've got lots of friends who live there and like it.

I know what you mean, was there last just a few months ago, was nice around the old British section, interesting old buildings and lots of big old trees. Food is wonderful, I especially enjoy those large open night markets with so much variety. But Georgetown has a strange vibe to it, like yourself I can't describe it but I'm always happy to leave there and head up HatYai way.

The problem with Malaysia is the climate, 2 seasons, either veeeeeery hot and humid, or wet and flooded with constant rain. If you think Thailand is too hot, then forget about Malaysia, 'cause it's hot like in a sauna, and the only way to escape it is to lock yourself up in your home with the aircon full throttle.

Southern Thailand is much the same - you are probably comparing most of upper Thailand north of Prachuab Khiri Khan, which has a dry/wet, i.e. tropical savannah climate cycle compared to the wet/wet tropical monsoonal climate, which is more reminiscent of both lower Thailand and Malaysia, which are thus quite different to each other.

Malaysia has a lot going for it. I've been there many many times, It was always a relief to come back to Thailand. There's a kind of miserable haunting drollness about the place, I can't quite describe.

Yes I agree, I only went there 3 times but feel the same. Brilliant quote by the way "miserable haunting drollness"

I would recommend Bali if you're after a Samui/Phuket experience. I think after your first 2 month visa you can get a 6 month social visa and you only need to fly to KL/SG every 6 months. I'm pretty sure agents take care of your immigration visits too.

Penang is far too 1st world, doesn't really feel Asian to me, but it's nice enough if you don't want the Asian vibe.

Cambodia is great for the visa, but Sihanoukville isn't Samui or Phuket and won't be for decades. It's still got a beach though and it's better than nothing.

Never been to Vietman, but will end up traveling there at some point.

• Like 2

Vietnam for sure. You dont need to report every f..ing 90 day's and you can get a yearly visa easily.

Cost of living is about the same as here, if not cheaper. No hassle renewing your year visa.

Also the Philippines is another good place to do the same. Not sure about the yearly visa there,

but it's probaly easier there than here. Nothing here is easy for us farang here in land of scams.

I've looked all over the web for info on year-long Vietnam visa and can find nothing...can you provide links? Thanks.

Yes I agree, I only went there 3 times but feel the same. Brilliant quote by the way "miserable haunting drollness"

Agree as well. I've been to Malaysia a few times and I'm amazed that people say it's a developed country. Not by a long shot. Do they think Malaysia is in the same league with Singapore? Or Japan? Get serious. It's on the same level with Thailand and even lower in many respects. And the Islam aspect certainly can't be ignored, at least not in the long term. If you're a Muslim, Malaysia would be preferred over most other Muslim countries. But if you're not....

• Like 1

Hello

I think unfortunately I will have leave Thailand

No solution to stay a few years without hassle. (except Thai Elite at 1 million baht for me and my wife)....

ED hard to get MOE letter, hard to get the Visa, hard to get the extensions. And should become harder and harder.

Retired I am too young

Non-B : I don't plan to work here

Tourist : Cool for a few months...

What I mean is I can't construct and make project in my life (baby.....) if I am not sure they will extend or not, each 3 months.....! What a life !

So despite I love Thailand a lot, I have to go to a more welcoming country where I know I can be there for a few years for sure...

Where could I go? Do you have experience with nearby countries? With Bali? Any other idea?

I am looking for... :

1) possibility of visa with low requirement (ok to show money, give proof I have money and will not work...)

2) like here in Phuket or Samui... Sun, Safety, life not too expensive....

In fact I am looking for a life about the same as in Phuket, Samui, but in another country.....

Many thanks

PS : exemple, costa rica (country I never went) seems cool and offers resident visa if you give proof you have some savings. I look for the same... ability to stay worryless. Can't live without knowing if in 3 month the immigration officer will let me in or not...

If you are ready to show (and transfer) money, Google MM2H or Malaysia My Second Home.

It is the Malaysian long stay program, which gives you a 10 year visa.

There are few requirements, but it is not for "cheap people" either. You are required to transfer the equivalent of 5 million baht on an account there.

Then you can also buy a locally assembled car (no luxury cars are locally assembled) tax free, buy a house (only priced above the equivalent of 10 million baht), and a few other things.

It is a good program.

However, when you look at it, the Thailand Elite program is different but even simpler. Just pay and get your visa...

If you want to leave Thailand, try Malaysia. It's less fun, but the quality of foreigners there is much higher than in Thailand.

Penang is good if you have friends there. Good food too.

By the way, if I don't make a mistake, the application process for MM2H will cost you around 100,000b (10.000 ringgit) per person, since you must go through an approved agent.

So, as you can see, its not free either.

The difference is that with MM2H you fullfill certain requirements to get a long term visa, while with Thailand Elite you buy a luxury service that makes your long stays in Thailand as easy as it could.

Not really the same thing, but both are good.

this has changed as of 2011...you can now apply yourself without an agent.

Hello guys
First thanks for being such helpful... can't wait to live quitely in a place...!

I have read and re-read the thread, I think I will go to Sihanoukville, Cambodia... I will go 1-2 weeks as it is near, looks sunny, pleasant. Hope rents are OK, beaches too, food too!

Malaysia (I went to Penang) seems OK but more "old style"...

Bali looks great too (using an agent no visa hassle...?) but not so easy to go have a look. And prices probably higher.

many thanks again, I will follow the thread and keep you posted :)

The easiest way is to google your inquiry. For example visa regulation in Indonesia, etc. Or just go to Bangkok for couple of days or in your country and visit the different Embassies and make inquiry.

Once I was in Philippines and it seem to be easy to stay there. If you have some money you can try Malaysia. If you were over 50, you could get a 10 years MM2H (Malaysia my second home). You had to be 50 years old and have an income of 3000 dollar a month I think. If you are under 50 it is the same I guess but you had to show some money or buy home.

Just try it

There's something about most SE Asian countries that I don't see much of in Thailand. For instance on the outskirts of PP there are massive slums with tin or thatched roof one-room shacks, dirt paths and no running water to drink or clean with.

In Thailand it seems everyone has a place to be and enough to eat.

I get depressed by the poverty because I feel I want to do something but of course I can't because there are too many. I was in PP and a cab driver came up to me and wanted me to take a young girl and keep her so she could get enough to eat. He didn't want money. Of course I declined for several reasons not the least of which was fear of being accused of doing something I didn't do. I took them to a nearby restaurant, had them each order a good meal, I paid for it and left.

I get depressed in all of SE Asia after a while. Thailand is dirty and smelly and hot and humid.

If I had to choose another destination in SE Asia it would be Sihanoukville but who really wants to live like that? Really? Vacation, yes. But live?

• Like 1

Panama retirement? Why not? Panama’s program for retirees is said to be the best in the world. There is no age limit to qualify for the Pensionado Visa Program. You need only to be able to prove a monthly pension or retirement income of $1,000 from a government or corporation, plus $250 for each dependent.

Before you can apply to retire in Panama, will need sworn documentation showing your pension income, certified and stamped by the Panamanian embassy in your country of origin, plus a valid passport and a clear police record for the past five years.

You must use a Panamanian immigration lawyer, pass a medical on arrival in Panama and be tested free of HIV. Your legal representative will probably accompany you to a doctor’s office. He or she will also shepherd you through the immigration office, once to register various documents and a second time to have your photograph taken and be presented with your identity card (carnet). Carry this card with you at all times. You can be fined for not doing so. Prior to receiving your carnet, carry your passport or a photocopy of it. Legal expenses and fees Panama retirement can vary depending on size of family and complexity, but should be around $1,500 for one person. Let us know where you plan to locate within the country and we will be happy to recommend a good lawyer to help you retire in Panama.

Before you leave

ALL THE DOCUMENTS ISSUED OVERSEAS MUST BE AUTHENTICATED BEFORE BEEN PRESENTED IN PANAMA

General Requirements:
These general requirements apply to all visas requested (article 28 of the Law Decree #3 of February 2008).
1. Passport copy, duly authenticated by a Panamanian Public notary;
2. Four (4) passport-size photos.
3. Original passport, which must be valid for at least six (6) months.
4. Police Report duly Apostilled or duly authenticated by the Panamanian Consulate or Embassy in the country it was issued and by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Panama.
5. Medical Certificate of Good Health;
6. Payment to the National Treasure of $250.00 in a Cashier Check and $800.00 to the Immigration Office for Repatriation Deposit, also in cashier check. (Please ask us how in whose name to issue the cashier checks);
7. Sworn Declaration Form.
8. Power of Attorney and Application via an attorney/law firm.

Tourist Pensioner - Retirees living in Panama as Permanent Residents.
This permit may be requested by foreigners who receive a retirement pension from the foreign government, international organization or private company, who come to Panama with a view to residing here and have sufficient means to cover all their expenses, as well as those of their dependents.

The monthly income or pension can be no less than One Thousand Dollars (US$1,000.00) per month and must be "for life". Where the applicant can prove that they have purchased a property in their personal name in Panama for at least One Hundred Thousand Dollars (US$100,000.00), then the pension may be for Seven Hundred and Fifty Dollars (US$750.00).

Requirements: In addition to the general requirements referred to in Article 28 of the Law, without the number 4, the applicant shall submit the following documents:
1. Pension Letter Certification letter of being retired or pensioned by a foreign government, international organization or private company, confirming that they receive a pension of no less than One Thousand Dollars (US$1,000.00) per month or its equivalent in foreign currency and that this is for life.
2. In the case of dependents, you must receive Two Hundred and Fifty Dollars (US$250.00) more in your pension.
3. Certification from the Public Registry for the property (if applicable).

If the pension or retirement is from a private company, provide the following documentation:

• Letter from the foreign company that administers the pension funds, the trust, the mutual funds, the insurance or the bank, which certify the existence of the funds that guarantee the lifetime pension of the applicant;
  • Certificate of Good Standing which proves the existence of the company that is granting the pension and responsible for the administration of the funds;

• Copy of the payment chit or bank statement.

Note: All documents issued overseas (that were not issued in Panama) must be duly authenticated by the Panamanian Consulate or Embassy in the country where issue and by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Panama or duly Apostilled.

In the case of spouses, they may opt to prove the income required in point 1 with both pensions, in which case both parties must provide all documentation requested as proof of pension.

In the case of dependent children, they shall receive temporary permits until reaching twenty five (25) years of age, so long as they prove that they are studying. However, they shall not have the right to permanent residence or be considered Pensioners. In the case of dependent children with a permanent serious disability, duly evidenced, an exception shall be made.

Benefits of the Pensionado Visa:
    Panamanian law also grants retirees a very good tax exemption package including:

• Tax exemption to import a car every 2 years

• Import tax exemption for households up to US$10,000

• Tax freeze on property taxes

• Multiple tax exemptions and discounts on services in Panama - see Translation of Law 6 (1987), which provides the list of discounts for Pensioners and Retirees in Panama.

The immigration process must be started before you leave your home country. Once you arrive in Panama as a tourist, you will be able to stay for up to 90 days. This can be extended for a further 90 days if needed. Qualifying for permanent residence for Panama retirement takes from 30 to 60 days, depending on the time of year and the availability of certain key immigration officials. Given all the public holidays, November and December are good months to avoid.

BANKING AND CREDIT CARDS.
    Also, keep your credit cards. You will be able to draw money from your credit cards at ATM's throughout Panama. Setting up a bank account is not that difficult. Bring 2 letters of recommendation (originals) from your Canadian, US or UK banks. Don't bother with traveller's cheques, they do not seem to be as readily acceptable as they used to be.

DRIVER'S LICENCE.
    Finally, go to your local automobile association and get an international driver’s license. Your own license is good here for 90 days, but there is no limit on an international license. (Expect lots of puzzled looks from local traffic police as they thumb through the multi-page document written in several languages.)

Panama retirement is much easier than in most other sought-after destinations.

The Philippines or Vietnam might be the places to try. Both have liberal visa regulations and the living is very reasonable. Both Hanoi and Ho Chi Min are great cities at bargain prices. The Philippines offer a great climate and hundreds of beaches. Have you tried to secure a retirement visa here in Thailand?

If you are a USA citizen it is a fairly easy process. Best of Luck

An interesting thread and lots to think about. I have often thought where would I go if I ever faced being unable to stay in Thailand, though I don't think that will happen. International Living just published a list of places to retire with Ecuador being at the top - other than the fact that I love Thailand, if I had to go elsewhere it would likely be Ecuador actually (can own land, have business, few requirements for pensionados visa, discounts for older individuals, national health insurance), also Panama, Uruguay, Argentina (I like Argentina's progressive politics), maybe Mexico. Not sure how easy it is for posters like the OP though who are younger... Vietnam and Cambodia seem easiest...

Ideally though I would choose a country near Thailand so I could at least visit it, not sure any are perfect. Now with the 10-year tourist visas for Americans in China, it would maybe be an option to divide time between China and Thailand, keep my apartment here. Indonesia has a retirement visa, easier in some ways it seems than here, but harder in others - however after a few years can apply for citizenship as I understand it... Philippines seems to charge out the wazoo for anything related to visas. Myself, I have always thought I would opt for Cambodia or Vietnam.

I just signed up for the report on Ecuador with International Living. I have to say, it is a very good report. Having been there though, it's not all sunshine and roses. Crime is a big issue (true in all of CA/SA). Road safety is crazy. Lots of trash and run down buildings. Spanish is an absolute must. It's not for everybody. Temperature is also an issue. One of the recommended places is Cuenca. Nice old colonial town. But cold! And as a member said in the comments section of IL, not that many expats there. So hard to meet other like minded individuals. Shopping for higher end goods is an issue, a bit like here if you are outside Bangkok.

Not sure China would be an option???? Great place to visit but I think it would be tough to live there full time. Especially with the "Great Wall" blocking internet access.

• Like 2

In my experience Malaysia is the most westerner friendly country bordering Thailand and for the Phuket beach lifestyle Penang has got to be the best place.

Im heading to Malaysia for a visa run next week and wouldn't mind looking at Penang as an alternative. Whereabouts is there a good expat area to visit. Anyone make any recommendations or supply a link?

In my experience Malaysia is the most westerner friendly country bordering Thailand and for the Phuket beach lifestyle Penang has got to be the best place.

Im heading to Malaysia for a visa run next week and wouldn't mind looking at Penang as an alternative. Whereabouts is there a good expat area to visit. Anyone make any recommendations or supply a link?

expat area? Can't think of anything that remotely fits that description. back in the RAAF Butterworth days there were expats areas at both Butterworth & Penang Is. But today? The main tourist hub is still Chulia St/Penang Rd. Very little has changed there in the past 30 years except the prices of accommodation, which are now through the roof.

You could try Google "Penang Hash House Harriers" and when you're in Penang next week go on one of their runs and meet some expats that way.

I've been to Penang countless times over the years and can't recall ever meeting an expat. I met lots of westerners but they were all tourists, either from Australia or guys who lived in Thailand.

If you are going to Penang, be sure to get on the boat and go over to Langkawi for a few days.

It's a beautiful and small tropical island that is tax free to promote tourism.

Cambodia is worry free at this time for visas. A one year multi entry costs under US$300. Ask for an ORDINARY VISA at the airport. Do NOT go to the Embassy in Thailand or any other country. The boarder check points and the airports are much better.

" Ask for an ORDINARY VISA at the airport." - this is the WRONG information.

You MUST ask for the 1 month "Business Visa" which is $25US on arrival at the airport, as opposed to the 1 month "Tourist Visa" which is $20US on arrival at the airport.

There are no requirements for the Business Visa - except the extra $5, and you can do whatever work you like. Yes, you can even serve beer in your own bar. :)

The 1 month Business Visa can be extended for 1 year for around $300 (multi-entry)

You can not convert a 1 month Tourist Visa into a 1 year multi-entry Business Visa.

If you are going to Penang, be sure to get on the boat and go over to Langkawi for a few days.

Went there last trip via train,bus ferry. It was okay but I do prefer Thai islands as duty free doesn't interest me that much and I just came back from Krabi so Im island done! lol

In my experience Malaysia is the most westerner friendly country bordering Thailand

expat area? Can't think of anything that remotely fits that description. back in the RAAF Butterworth days there were expats areas at both Butterworth & Penang Is. But today? The main tourist hub is still Chulia St/Penang Rd. Very little has changed there in the past 30 years except the prices of accommodation, which are now through the roof.

You could try Google "Penang Hash House Harriers" and when you're in Penang next week go on one of their runs and meet some expats that way.

I've been to Penang countless times over the years and can't recall ever meeting an expat. I met lots of westerners but they were all tourists, either from Australia or guys who lived in Thailand.

I see. I dont run very well due to an injury either but in the quote above Kev says " and for the Phuket beach lifestyle Penang has got to be the best place."

Im curious about how Penang and Phuket lifestyles are similar ?

Edited by mcfish

i have a number of friends who have lived in thailand before and have been relocated for work to all over the region - Cambodia (PP), Malaysia (KL and Penang), Indonesia (Jakarta), Laos (Vientiane), Vietnam (Ho Chi Min, Siagon), Philippines (Manila).

They all have one thin in common - the second they get a long weekend or holiday break they are back in thailand saying they wish they could get posted back.

grass is always greener it seems.

In my experience Malaysia is the most westerner friendly country bordering Thailand

I see. I dont run very well due to an injury either but in the quote above Kev says " and for the Phuket beach lifestyle Penang has got to be the best place."

Im curious about how Penang and Phuket lifestyles are similar ?

Well all I can say is I don't agree with what Kev said. Penang & Phuket are chalk & cheese. I've been to Penang beaches a few times - Batu F & Telok B. Nothing at all like Phuket or Krabi/Satun/Trang islands. Penang tourism board actually got into trouble some years ago when they used photographs taken in Thailand for advertising the beautiful beaches of Penang. Remember the Straits of Malacca is one of the world's busiest stretch of water; so much pollution gets washed up on Penang's coastline.

However, I like going to Penang. I love walking around the old-world charm of Georgetown, especially the old British area, plus the Indian section if colorful and interesting. Food is wonderful, so much variety and very reasonable prices. Drinking is double the cost in LOS. Nightlife is close to zero, beaches are rubbish. The people are friendly enough. English is widely spoken, street signs in English, all this makes for an easier holiday.

No way I'd ever consider Penang as an alternative to LOS. My alternatives would be Cambodia. PIs. Vietnam.

Thanks for that info. Im going to check out George town however there does appear to be some nightlife?

http://www.penang.ws/nightlife/georgetown.htm

I dont need thumping gogo bars so quite little pubs sound okay and after all they do make Guiness in Malaysia :-)

Sure some nightlife, but next to nothing compared to LOS. You could try the Hong Kong Bar in Chulia St. I haven't been in there for over 20 years but it's still going.

For dinner and a few beers I can recommend the Red Garden Food Paradise in Leith Street, it's not far from Chulia St/Penang Rd. Very big selection of hawker food, plus International cuisine (Jap, Thai, PI) big selection of beers, OK prices.

If you like curries then you'll hit the jackpot in Penang, great curries all over the place.

PS: Just had a look at that link you posted. I don't know any of those places, they look like upmarket yuppie places to me, no doubt expensive too. I do most my drinking in night markets and small dives. Also noticed Soho Free House with "friendly crowd of predominantly-expat locals" I guess there is an expat community with regular hangouts but that's a side of Penang I know nothing about. If I wanted to make contact with those expats I'd do so via Hash House Harriers. Or you could take a trishaw to Soho Free House and get chatting at the bar.

Edited by TSF

Went there last trip via train,bus ferry. It was okay but I do prefer Thai islands as duty free doesn't interest me that much and I just came back from Krabi so Im island done! lol

"It was okay but I do prefer Thai islands" - well, you better get used to not being on Thai islands, if you are serious about leaving Thailand. :)

I will check those out. Best way by train is Butterworth and then the ferry and then by taxi right?

Guess so, if coming from BKK, train to Butterworth, then over to the "Rock" by ferry, then taxi/trishaw to your hotel or downtown area.

Last trip I made there, a few months ago, we drove to HatYai, I left car in HatYai and took a minivan to Penang, that took us over the bridge and dropped us off downtown.

If you've never been to Deep South Thailand something to consider is train to HatYai, spend a night or 2 in HatYai/Songkhla, then minivan or big bus on to Penang. Guess it all depends on how much time you have.

Returning to LOS from Penang you can get a ferry to Langkawi, then another ferry to Satun, from there a bus/taxi to HatYai or up to Krabi. I just mention all this as some options if you have time & desire to see a bit more.

• Like 1

i have a number of friends who have lived in thailand before and have been relocated for work to all over the region - Cambodia (PP), Malaysia (KL and Penang), Indonesia (Jakarta), Laos (Vientiane), Vietnam (Ho Chi Min, Siagon), Philippines (Manila).

They all have one thin in common - the second they get a long weekend or holiday break they are back in thailand saying they wish they could get posted back.

To be fair, I notice you mention all the capital cities - hardly the nicest places to live, in each of the countries you mentioned.

How many expats would like to live in Bangkok - just because it's in Thailand?

Good point. I also know people who have lived and worked in LOS for lengthy periods then went to other SEA countries and they are always talking about wanting to get back to LOS. Warts & all the country has many pluses. I find Thailand cheaper than any of the neighboring countries for food & accommodation. Then there's the pooying factor. Single guys who leave LOS are always itching to get back, seems none of the neighboring countries are quite like LOS in that regard.