Did you guys take any vaccinations?

Cletus

Hello all,

are you people (farang) living in Thailand vaccinated against hepatitis A-B or typhus or tetanus or something else?

Just wondering because I'm not sure what to do before leaving, planning to be there for few months, maybe one/two years.

Thanks.

i get my regular Hepatitis A and B vaccination and the follow up refreshments, matter of routine.

The REAL danger is, there is no vaccination to be had against Hepatitis C, which is the most prevalent and one should avoid it like the devil. It does not kill you but it will make your life complicated.

Tetanus vaccination also belongs amongst my 5-yearly tidy ups.

I would rather be worried about bacteria not common to the ones you are used in your homeland. Regarding infested food, you will get the usual shitters more or less. Nothing to worry about because what's bad for you makes you stronger.

What goes for mosquito bites. Know when they tend to swarm ( in the evenings and mornings) and cover your body parts. Use citric , lemon acids or Eukalyptus balms on exposed parts like feet or hands.

If you keep mozzie bites below 30 at a time on your body, you do not have to worry abut Malaria or Dengue fever.

Agree with Hepathitis A&B for sure. Get flu vaccination if you want, same here as in Western countries.

with regards to Dengue there is no vaccine. Try to avoid getting bitten by mosquito. I don't understand the post from crazygreg44 about no more than mosquito bites. One mosquito bite is enough to get dengue if the mosquito is infected. So rule no 1 with dengue/mosquito is to avoid getting bitten.

• Like 1

i get my regular Hepatitis A and B vaccination and the follow up refreshments, matter of routine.

The REAL danger is, there is no vaccination to be had against Hepatitis C, which is the most prevalent and one should avoid it like the devil. It does not kill you but it will make your life complicated.

I would rather be worried about bacteria not common to the ones you are used in your homeland. Regarding infested food, you will get the usual shitters more or less. Nothing to worry about because what's bad for you makes you stronger.

What goes for mosquito bites. Know when they tend to swarm ( in the evenings and mornings) and cover your body parts. Use citric , lemon acids or Eukalyptus balms on exposed parts like feet or hands.

If you keep mozzie bites below 30 at a time on your body, you do not have to worry abut Malaria or Dengue fever.

It only takes one mosquito bite to get malaria or dengue.

• Like 1

Hep a and b, tetanus/diptheria and typhoid, oh and yellow fever, im sure theres also another one I've missed, which is relevant in thai I have absolutely no idea, but usual work requirements for offshore work in various locations,,

Bullshit vaccination as you are exposed to it on a daily basis in LoS. As for dengue and malaria in Thailand the chances of contracting either is incredibly small. I think the recommendations for hep are wise as who knows? No real need for anything else unless you are ultra-cautious.

Before you take regular Hep A and B vaccinations check the anti-body. It is possible that you don't need the refreshments (as I do for another disease) or that the vaccination didn't work at all (happens often at Hepatitis, and happened for me for Hep. B) than also the refreshments are for nothing.

• Like 1

Been staying in Thailand for 3 months. Planned and had standard European vaccination scheme updated. Esp Hep A+B. I also got a Japanese Encephalitis (JE) shot. Rabies was considered, but I didn't want so many doses in a row ( 3 or even 5 I think).

BTW I went to the Institute of tropical deseases in Bangkok on arrival. They know what you need, give great and decent recommandation and the vaccine is about ten times cheaper than in Europe, and they use the same latest types/brands.

Edited by ocejanic
  • Like 1

Most Westerners will already have been vaccinated for tetanus and (if under a certain age) Hep A.

Vaccinations specific to risks in Thailand that one may not have already received are:

• Hepatitis B - strongly recommended. Can be a combined Hep A + B vaccine if not already vaccinated for Hep A (check your childhood vaccination records).
  • Rabies pre-exposure: highly recommended as there are many stray dogs here and rabies is endemic.
  • Japanese B encephalitis - recommended if you will be spending time in rural areas, not indicated if only plan to be in cities/towns and beach reports (pigs are the resevoir).
  • Like 2

Hi Sheryl,

can you shed some onn Japanese encephalitis. This is the first time I heard about it and doctors previously didn't mention it to me. You mention if you are in rural areas, you should have it. I guess we all spend sometimes some time in rural areas be it on holidays, when travelling or so. Do you recommend getting it? If ao can you get it at any hospital?

Thanks.

It is a very serious viral disease spread by mosquitos which has pigs as the resevoir Anyone who will be living or spending significant time in rural areas where pigs are kept should have it. And yes, any hospital should have it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

@ Sheryl: went to hospital last week to get the Japanese encephalitis vaccination. The doctor advised me against getting it for the following reasons:

1) I am likely to have been vaccinated against it in my own country as when it spread about 40 years ago, everyone got vaccinated against, certainly in all developed countries as well as Thailand.

2) this disease is now in existent in Thailand

3) it requires 3 shots over a certain amount of time and works much better with children than with adults (to build the immunity)

He also mentioned that it is standard in Thailand for all children to get vaccinated against it.

So I left it without getting vaccinated. Just thought I share this.

• Like 2

Most Westerners will already have been vaccinated for tetanus and (if under a certain age) Hep A.

Vaccinations specific to risks in Thailand that one may not have already received are:

• Hepatitis B - strongly recommended. Can be a combined Hep A + B vaccine if not already vaccinated for Hep A (check your childhood vaccination records).
  • Rabies pre-exposure: highly recommended as there are many stray dogs here and rabies is endemic.
  • Japanese B encephalitis - recommended if you will be spending time in rural areas, not indicated if only plan to be in cities/towns and beach reports (pigs are the resevoir).

I got those plus a couple of others before moving here in 2003

I live in the countryside, should I get any boosters at this point?

Definitely the Hep A&B combo. If you're getting into 'old' get pneumonia, no matter where you live. I recently asked my endo Dr about dengue in BKK. She replied anyone can theoretically get but primarily a kid's infection as older body build up a natural immunization (supposedly a vaccine is due shortly, whatever that means). The DPT vaccine lasts about 10 years - get a booster, wherever you reside.

BTW: The initial Hep vaccine is a 3-shot deal - 1 now, another in 1 month, and the last shot at 6 months after the 1st. Recheck the Hep antibody levels every few years.

Edited by bill1369

Indeed, at around age 60, everyone should get the pneumoccoal vaccine and also the shingles vaccine (nothing Thailand specific, true in any country).

There is no clearcut advice on boosters for Hep A and B but check your antibody levels every now and then (I think 5 year intervals is fine unless last result was low). In most people protection lasts a good 15 - 20 years.

Booster not currently recommended for the rabies vaccine.

For JE, varies with type of vaccine given, see http://www.who.int/ith/vaccines/japanese_encephalitis/en/

I was bitten by a street dog years ago and the hospital's doctor who gave me all the 8 rabies shots told me that Thailand is #2 in the world for rabies infection, and most people traveling Asia is advised in taking 2 preventive shots.

A few days ago whilst walking on the sidewalk in Ekkamai I glanced over at some yappy small mutts barking at each other about 15m away in a parking lot. I continued walking up the road and after walking about another 20m suddenly heard yapping behind me and felt a slight nip on the side of my lower leg. One of those mutts seemed to have taken offence at my glance, thought about it, and decided action had to be taken. The next day I went off to the hospital and I am now receiving the Rabies vaccination of 5 shots over a period of one month.

It would be one of the vaccinations I would recommend due to the large number of stray dogs roaming the streets in many places.

Well, here's what the doctor yesterday said I needed:

Hepatitis A

Hepatitis B

Japanese Encephalitis

Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR)

Pneumococcus (IPD)

Tetanus-Diphtheria-Pertussis (Tdap)

Typoid

Varicella

and later in the year

Influenza.

The one thing I didn't need, apparently, was Rabies since I'd had a full course of pre-exposure jabs 12 years ago.