Will my girlfreind (or me) die soon?

bobbydavro

I have visited thailand many times and turned a blind eye to the food hygiene standards that differ from the UK, I have not once been ill (touch wood) and eat all of the street food etc. I also was a monk in a thai temple in the UK for many months and again was never ill but had to battle with the local government food hygiene inspectors about the food preparation and storage of food. Now I have a thai girlfriend here in the UK she is making food and leaving it out to the elements (not covering it and putting it in the fridge, leaving rice in the rice cooker (turned off) overnight, eating and preparing food well outside its sell by date etc. The house has never never been as clean but the whole food hygiene thing that I have grown up with makes me think she is doing something wrong and I am about to die from ruptured bowel and/or a rectal prolapse - overly paranoid or rightly so?

^ Priceless.

OP: I thought during your time as a monk it would of been explained to you that nothing is permanent, we all get to die at so splint. Even Lord Buddha experienced this.

Note to self. There's one born every minute.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I also was a monk in a thai temple in the UK for many months and again was never ill but had to battle with the local government food hygiene inspectors about the food preparation and storage of food.

Quote of the month.

cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3- alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

24ct gold!

^ Priceless.

OP: I thought during your time as a monk it would of been explained to you that nothing is permanent, we all get to die at so splint. Even Lord Buddha experienced this.

What is 'so splint'?

I like this forum, great the way it lets you express your disrespect of members, Buddhism, Lord Buddha and Monks. Have the forum rules been dropped for 2015 in place of freedom of speech?

• Like 2

Rice should be cooled as quickly as possible and placed in a refrigerator in a sealed container for a maximum of 3 days.

Rice may contain bacillus cereus bacteria which can multiply very quickly this can cause vomiting and diarrhoea for up to about 24 hours. Very rarely fatal so you should be ok.

However it may be of interest to those who eat in Thailand who think it is ok to go native with food to search for liver cancer in Thailand on the web caused by liver flukes from fish and also the proportion of the population that carry the hepatitis b - it was 70 - 90% infected by the age of 40 - although this is now going down due to vaccination.

Edited by Johnjc
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I also was a monk in a thai temple in the UK for many months and again was never ill but had to battle with the local government food hygiene inspectors about the food preparation and storage of food.

Quote of the month.

24ct gold!

^ Priceless.

What is 'so splint'?

I like this forum, great the way it lets you express your disrespect of members, Buddhism, Lord Buddha and Monks. Have the forum rules been dropped for 2015 in place of freedom of speech?

Where is the disrespect for Buddhism, lord Buddha and monks?

so dramatic.

• Like 1

If it bothers you that much you fear dying from it, wouldn't you just put it in the fridge??

Rice should be cooled as quickly as possible and placed in a refrigerator in a sealed container for a maximum of 3 days.

Rice may contain bacillus cereus bacteria which can multiply very quickly this can cause vomiting and diarrhoea for up to about 24 hours. Very rarely fatal so you should be ok.

However it may be of interest to those who eat in Thailand who think it is ok to go native with food to search for liver cancer in Thailand on the web caused by liver flukes from fish and also the proportion of the population that carry the hepatitis b - it was 70 - 90% infected by the age of 40 - although this is now going down due to vaccination.

The crux of my post was really to see if I was being too westernised and cautious about food poisoning - but maybe I am not! cheers posters! Rice in the fridge.

Since the UK has so many foreigners working in food preparation, it now runs government-approved food hygiene courses in many languages given by native speakers. There is such a course in Thai. thumbsup.gif

This is what your girlfriend needs.

Where is the disrespect for Buddhism, lord Buddha and monks?

so dramatic.

You know where it is, it is your reply 'one born every minute' plus other elements of the quoted posts.

Not really Buddhist traits with such comments but certainly not directed at Buddhism, Lord Buddha or monks. ;)

Putting the rice in the fridge won't be real popular because it dries it out too much and makes it HARD. That won't be real popular with the Thais.

Electricity is cheap. Try cooking smaller portions in the rice cooker, so new batches are cooked for every meal, if it's only left for an hour or two between sittings then leave the rice cooker in the warmer setting.

Putting the rice in the fridge is a good way to dry it out for making fried rice if your gf can be bothered messing around with this meal all the time.

I bet you find it hard to cope in Thailand without toilet paper in the bathroom wink.png

No love the bum gun, just installed one in my UK home! :)

Since the UK has so many foreigners working in food preparation, it now runs government-approved food hygiene courses in many languages given by native speakers. There is such a course in Thai. thumbsup.gif

Yes I have organised one at our local temple and are due for an other one - will have to get her to do it. Dirty bugger, not sure how she has survived 36 years!

• Like 1

have to wonder if bobby had a straight face when he wrote the OP. smile.png Rice should be eaten the day it is cooked unless kept in a sealed container in a refrigerator. wai2.gif

No, he can't possibly be serious in the OP.

Entertaining > Perhaps. :D

Putting the rice in the fridge won't be real popular because it dries it out too much and makes it HARD. That won't be real popular with the Thais.

Electricity is cheap. Try cooking smaller portions in the rice cooker, so new batches are cooked for every meal, if it's only left for an hour or two between sittings then leave the rice cooker in the warmer setting.

Putting the rice in the fridge is a good way to dry it out for making fried rice if your gf can be bothered messing around with this meal all the time.

I bet you find it hard to cope in Thailand without toilet paper in the bathroom wink.png

No love the bum gun, just installed one in my UK home! :)

Yes I have organised one at our local temple and are due for an other one - will have to get her to do it. Dirty bugger, not sure how she has survived 36 years!

Must be thrilling with that ultra cold pommie water pumbling ur spinchta in the morning. 55555

• Like 1

have to wonder if bobby had a straight face when he wrote the OP. smile.png Rice should be eaten the day it is cooked unless kept in a sealed container in a refrigerator. wai2.gif

Half serious half bent face. Although that could be paralysis due to the botulism injection.

• Like 1

Half serious half bent face. Although that could be paralysis due to the botulism injection.

These threads are no good without pictures.

I understand your concerns completely BobbyDavro and in a lapse of concentration you posted worry or concern in an OP sensibly thinking that there may well be someone on here who either has had your concerns or someone who has an answer to your problem

Silly boy!

Dont you understand that there are people who who just can't wait for a thread such as yours, where they can show their intellectual superiority and vent their frustrations at having nothing better in their sad lives then to wait for victims just like you.

Having said that In my opinion the reply from the poster who said "Manage the situation" was possibly the most helpful, the fact that you derided this post because of a simple spelling mistake places you where, in the general order of things, not too high at all and maybe the keyboard warriors who just cannot wait for posters like you (and Me) to come along are well justified in making funny or sarcastic remarks on this occasion?

Getting back to your topic I too had the same problem but decided that you cannot change a Zebras stripes and so decided that I would just "manage the situation" as best as I could and not become too paranoid.

The poster who also made comment about food being edible after its use by date makes a good point as well, maybe you just have to think a little about each item of food you feel safe with

Tell her it's illegal to leave uneaten food out of the fridge while in the UK and she will be deported if someone reports her. ;)

Other than that I think you need to grow a pair and get on her about tidying up. The three days of silence will be worth it.

Agree about the food in general and their methods of preparation etc in Thailand though. Walk into any hospital and observe the number of people with severe stomach issues.

Quote of the month.

24ct gold!

^ Priceless.

What is 'so splint'?

Nah, it was the bit about the local authority environmental health officer. Seriously funny!

• Like 2

Keep the flies off the food, and hit the panic button if you have rats or cockroaches.

If you switch the rice cooker off after cooking, and only reheat what you're about to eat, and cook fresh rice each day, you should be OK. My wife keeps a careful eye on the rice, and will sometimes condemn old cooked rice as fit only for her to eat.

Excess cleanliness can give your family asthma.