Good Food

smokie36

Hmmmm OK today I'm recommending Pak Bakery on Soi Prasammitr off Suk Soi 23.

Excellent range of Thai food at reasonable prices.....I doubt you could have a bad meal here.

The wingbean salad is particularly good....as are the fishcakes....the sauce with those is very moreish.

Great service and I'm told the cakes are good too!

There is a Thai restaurant opposite too which is OK priced....not a bad option but nowhere near as good IMHO.

Edited by smokie36

Sorry Smokes, dont frequent that part of town.

The mrs works out this way and brings me and the dog some scraps back to eat, well worth it, this part of town is quickly turning into an upscale boom town.

Smokes do you remember the Thai food place with the pond at the corner of soi 30?

https://www.facebook.com/papaskitchenbkk

Isnt The Londoner moving out this way?

Another place off the tourist trail, Smokes take yer mrs shopping at upmarket Paradise Park, or if you are a cheapo like me Seacon Sq, anyway just up the road,

http://www.elmariachibangkok.com/

We ate at one of the Thai places opposite Papa's kitchen the other week...the one on the corner.

Decent enough and a good krapow from memory.

The beer garden at Ekkamai bts does good food in a lovely green outdoor setting, reasonably priced beer and decent live music too. Dishes are 200-250b mostly for generous sharing portions. The moo manow, yum kor moo yang, som tum, gai yang, pad prick nua are well recommended.

• Like 1

I prefer Im Chan, up the road by Phrom Phong BTS. Same kind of place, better food.

Is it on Sukhumvit? I usually hit suda with peeps from out of town as it's around the corner but find it a bit unexciting as well.

OB

Yep. Corner of soi 37. There's one on the corner of either 24 or 26 too, and one on thong lor somewhere. The soi 37 one is open air though, which I quite like.

I prefer Im Chan, up the road by Phrom Phong BTS. Same kind of place, better food.

Is it on Sukhumvit? I usually hit suda with peeps from out of town as it's around the corner but find it a bit unexciting as well.

OB

Yep. Corner of soi 37. There's one on the corner of either 24 or 26 too, and one on thong lor somewhere. The soi 37 one is open air though, which I quite like.

Found it thanks. Right across from emporium. Will check it out.

OB

Appia I really like and have never had a bad meal there. Issao is one of my favorites as well not exactly authentic but very tasty. El gaucho is probably the best steak I've had in bangkok. I also keep going back to Gianni for what I consider to be one of the best Italian restaurants in SEA. Bankara for ramen. Rocket is also good for breakfast and they make a great flat white.

OB

General all round good Thai food for the expat on Soi 5 Gullivers, Tot Man Gung (Prawn cakes, really good). There is a Beirut restaurant on Suk Soi4 opposite Hanrahans, good for the middle eastern experience from what I have been told, there is also a kebab type place in the same area now, and middle eastern ice cream.. Then down to Soi 12 for Condoms and Cabbages, can be variable quality as is a training restaurant, but always a good laugh for the visitors.

Kiwi bar on Soi 8 for rugby on TV, and a good selection of beers and food.

Ronnies New York Pizza on Soi 4 a bit up from the Soi 6 turn off towards the tobacco monopoly does a reasonable pizza.

For TW in behind the 7/11 on Soi 6 is a Thai restaurant that does a reasonable Khao Pat to go with the vodka. I think they close off at 8PM though.

Cheers

The Dubliner for pies

The Londoner for their carvery buffet and great apple pie

Sportsman for the breakfast

Bully's Pub for a lamb shank and weird chef talking about how "every hot-dog sausage on earth has earthworms in it, even the most expensive Kosher ones"

Robin Hood for the deep fried sausage (in batter) and great apple crumble. Brilliant beef chili with nachos too

Edited by EmptyHead

Its really tricky - there is so much great food in Bangkok, often the choice of simply where to go out for dinner is a difficult one.

Thai Food (normal range): Ton Kreung

Thai Food (high range): The Local

Steak (Italian): Bacco

Korean: Bulgoggi

Japanese: Gyu gaku

French: Aubergine

Indian: Rang Mahal / Indus

Lunch: Roast

Breakfast: Mr Jones Orphanage

Street food: Sukhumvit Soi 38

International Mix: Alices Rustic Seafood (great pizza)

Food Court: Central Chidlom

In the back of beyond, at some unspecified date in the future.

Might as well be closed for good, as far as I'm concerned.

A hop skip and a jump for me....great to see a proper pub out my way! clap2.gif

Half your luck, it used to be in the basement of my work building (UBC II Tower). Doubt i'll be ducking to Phattanakan road in my lunch hour every again. But seriously, the same kind of food can be had in any number of places in that area.

In the back of beyond, at some unspecified date in the future.

Might as well be closed for good, as far as I'm concerned.

A hop skip and a jump for me....great to see a proper pub out my way! clap2.gif

Is there any sign of the new venue yet?

I'll saunter past in a wee while and have a look....

That's a shame. I must admit I had my doubts. I've learnt that sometimes these plans should be taken with a pinch of salt. Look at that long-awaited pub on soi 33 for example.

Still, hopefully they'll surprise me after all.

Yes I will have to hope I am wrong... There is a development ongoing between the two Sois so we'll see.

On a more positive note I had a mushroom swiss burger at Papa's Kitchen on Soi 30 Phattanakan at lunchtime and I see they have improved their buns.

Great burger and chips for 270 Baht....everything is quality about it.

That's a shame. I must admit I had my doubts. I've learnt that sometimes these plans should be taken with a pinch of salt. Look at that long-awaited pub on soi 33 for example.

Yes I will have to hope I am wrong... There is a development ongoing between the two Sois so we'll see.

On a more positive note I had a mushroom swiss burger at Papa's Kitchen on Soi 30 Phattanakan at lunchtime and I see they have improved their buns.

Must have driven passed you this lunchtime Smokes, I drove up soi 32, looks live a wasteland, a lot of the old slums knocked down on both sides of the soi, all the way up to where you turn right to get to soi 20 (right on the corner by 7).

By the looks of it, nothing looked like it was being built, was all just a pile of rubble..

Yeah that Papas is worth a visit.

• Like 1

Must have driven passed you this lunchtime Smokes, I drove up soi 32, looks live a wasteland, a lot of the old slums knocked down on both sides of the soi, all the way up to where you turn right to get to soi 20 (right on the corner by 7).

By the looks of it, nothing looked like it was being built, was all just a pile of rubble..

Yeah that Papas is worth a visit.

So is the karaoke place just before Soi 53 for fish and the pork curry.

The curry is a numbing experience for sure!

• 2 weeks later...

Near BTS Saphan Taksin and across from the Top Supermarket is a famous duck restaurant which is delicious! Avoid late-night as they tend to run out of duck.

Also, various food places on Charoen Krung are quite good, especially a famous dumpling place I cannot seem to remember the name. Soi 65 has great Thai dishes on the corner and in the street.