Thailand asks New Zealand to clarify status of Thai exiles

webfact

Thailand Asks New Zealand To Clarify Status of Thai Exiles
By Khaosod English

14205293281420529390l.jpg
Ekapop Luara (L) and his alleged New Zealand passport. [Photo posted on Ekapop's Facebook account]

BANGKOK — Thailand's military government has asked New Zealand authorities to confirm whether a 23-year-old Thai charged with lese majeste has been granted asylum there.

Sek Wannamethee, spokesperson of the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA), said he summoned the Charge d'Affaires of the New Zealand Embassy in Bangkok to seek clarification about a Ekapop Luara’s claim that he and his partner have been granted political asylum in New Zealand.

Ekapop, 23, was charged with insulting the Thai monarchy for a speech he made at a Redshirt rally in late 2013. He is believed to have fled Thailand shortly after the military seized power from the elected government on 22 May 2014.

Last month Ekapop claimed on his Facebook account that he and his girlfriend were granted asylum in New Zealand. He also posted a photo of a New Zealand passport that he said was given to him by New Zealand authorities, and wrote that he had been hiding in Cambodia and the Philippines prior to New Zealand.

"The Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs expressed its deep concern over the matter to the New Zealand representatives," MFA spokesperson Sek told reporters yesterday. "Mr. Ekapop is using his status granted by the New Zealand government to engage in political matters that affect the national security of Thailand, at a time when Thailand is moving forward and seeking a national reconciliation."

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1420529328

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-01-06

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lese Majeste has been illegal in Thailand since forever and is a well-known law to all Thais and a lot of foreigners. You might not like the law, but you must abide by it. Many laws are not popular and are in place for reasons not always agreeable to everyone, but that's just the way things are. New Zealand are setting a very bad example by not respecting a countrys right to create and apply its own laws.

This has been going on since May. Get yourself to civilization and claim asylum on the grounds of political persecution. Good lurk for reds who have the cash and want a valued passport. But don't try it in Aussie or we'll send ya to PNG and maybe even to Kampuchea. These MFA bozos are just proving to the Kiwi's that anyone who criticises the Junta also has grounds for asylum.

Lese Majeste has been illegal in Thailand since forever and is a well-known law to all Thais and a lot of foreigners. You might not like the law, but you must abide by it. Many laws are not popular and are in place for reasons not always agreeable to everyone, but that's just the way things are. New Zealand are setting a very bad example by not respecting a countrys right to create and apply its own laws.

As long as the law is being applied in the incorrect manner, activists will keep claiming persection and the lack of a fair trial.

I dont know what this bloke said, but, the world didn't stop because he said it, did it?

New Zealand is in no way disrespecting Thailand's right to create and apply its own laws within its own borders. The MFA should respect the Kiwi's right to honour their obligations towards political refugees. If the MFA, or anyone else, are expecting a modern and progressive society to take any action on the basis of 112 they are demented.

That is just so much BS! did the Thai government apply for extradition? probably not. To say that New Zealand is setting a bad example, again is ridiculous, What about respect for freedom of speech? How is it stopping Thailand from creating and applying it's own laws, surely the failure to stop these two people leaving the country was a failure of the Thai immigration/police/DSI/government!

And finally the idea that this interferes with and causes problems for Thailand's security is a joke so far this government has shown little interest in sorting out the political corruption, or a working constitution.

This is just about shutting people up because the general doesn't like what he hears.

As long as the law is being applied in the incorrect manner, activists will keep claiming persection and the lack of a fair trial.

I dont know what this bloke said, but, the world didn't stop because he said it, did it?

I have no need to know what he did or said, but laws are applied/interpreted by the courts, usually based on precedent - not the current government nor the police/army. The guy would have been wise to have looked at what happened to the previous person who did whatever this trick was.

New Zealand might be demonstrating their own brand of international ineptitude. Whilst they might not agree with Thailand's laws concerning lese majeste they probably don't agree with a bunch of laws in other countries but there's no fuss being made.

It's distinctly possible that the situation is not as is currently being reported. Let's wait and see what the Wellington folks reply to Bangkok with............

I find it highly doubtful that they would be issued a passport within half a year of applying for asylum, unless they have had previous contact with NZ.

At the most, they would be more likely to be issued with a refugee travel document*, although why they would need one of them is also debateable. How many asylum seekers need to immediately travel out of the country they have fled to?

In short, until he shows the photo page of the passport, I say bulls*** to this story.

*From the NZ passport website:

"What is a Refugee Travel Document?

A Refugee Travel Document may be issued to a person who is not a New Zealand citizen and who has refugee status confirmed by Immigration New Zealand. A New Zealand Refugee Travel Document is valid for a maximum of 2 years, and is valid from the date of issue until the date of expiry".

I have no need to know what he did or said, but laws are applied/interpreted by the courts, usually based on precedent - not the current government nor the police/army. The guy would have been wise to have looked at what happened to the previous person who did whatever this trick was.

New Zealand might be demonstrating their own brand of international ineptitude. Whilst they might not agree with Thailand's laws concerning lese majeste they probably don't agree with a bunch of laws in other countries but there's no fuss being made.

It's distinctly possible that the situation is not as is currently being reported. Let's wait and see what the Wellington folks reply to Bangkok with............

So what would you expect NZ to do? Send them back. The 112 law is being abused. It is being used to silence all dissent, real and perceived.I could make a claim of LM against you. Would you take your chances with the Thai courts? While the intention behind the statute may be fine, the way it is now being applied is all a load of <deleted>. Good on NZ.

So what would you expect NZ to do? Send them back. The 112 law is being abused. It is being used to silence all dissent, real and perceived.I could make a claim of LM against you. Would you take your chances with the Thai courts? While the intention behind the statute may be fine, the way it is now being applied is all a load of <deleted>. Good on NZ.

I am not discussing the rights or wrongs of any specific law. The law exists, same as many other laws. Freedom of speech is not a right - it is a responsibility.

New Zealand is in no way disrespecting Thailand's right to create and apply its own laws within its own borders. The MFA should respect the Kiwi's right to honour their obligations towards political refugees. If the MFA, or anyone else, are expecting a modern and progressive society to take any action on the basis of 112 they are demented.
I thought the point is that asylum is only granted to people who fear for their lives or are at risk of being executed for their crimes if the return to their countries of origin? This is not the case with 112. New Zealand is basically setting a precedent that if NZ's penalties are less than the refugee's country for a crime, then they'll protect you. Edited by SABloke

"New Zealand might be demonstrating their own brand of international ineptitude. "

Countries with true representative governments, free press and speech have little time for lese majeste laws. Thailand may be showing its ineptitude which may result in few visitors from other countries.

My word, there are actually people in here thinking he should be deported from an archaic and easily abused law from a country where free speech is a right.

You need to take a good long look at yourselves. You might not agree with what this man said but he should have the right to express it, LM restricts that yes but NZ won't deport him on the count of Thailand's repressive law.

I am not discussing the rights or wrongs of any specific law. The law exists, same as many other laws. Freedom of speech is not a right - it is a responsibility.

But it isn't a matter of freedom of speech. People are being stitched up for things they have not said or done, or that would not normally be viewed as in contravention of 112. A case in point, is that even if you have not said anything wrong, I could say you had and under the current climate, you would probably be thoroughly investigated and end up in court. Yes, one case was very recently dismissed, but only one (vindictive brother). Would you be prepared to go before the court to face charges for something I claimed you had said. I know I wouldn't. In the case in question, are you certain what he said constituted LM at the time he said it (interpretations have changed under the junta and even wearing a black shirt can get you into trouble), and even if it did not, if you were hime would you stick around to face the courts now.

An inflammatory post has been removed.

Please stay on the topic of the thread. That means addressing the issues presented in the post, not in making comments to or about other posters. Doing so is off-topic and your post will be removed and you could face a suspension.

You have every right to express your opinion about the topic. You may disagree, but it must be done in a civil manner.

The discussion of the Lese Majeste is allowed as long the Royal family is NOT brought into from the discussion, as stated in forum rule 1:

Discussion of the Lese Majeste law or Lese Majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

I find it highly doubtful that they would be issued a passport within half a year of applying for asylum, unless they have had previous contact with NZ.

At the most, they would be more likely to be issued with a refugee travel document*, although why they would need one of them is also debateable. How many asylum seekers need to immediately travel out of the country they have fled to?

In short, until he shows the photo page of the passport, I say bulls*** to this story.

*From the NZ passport website: "What is a Refugee Travel Document?

A Refugee Travel Document may be issued to a person who is not a New Zealand citizen and who has refugee status confirmed by Immigration New Zealand. A New Zealand Refugee Travel Document is valid for a maximum of 2 years, and is valid from the date of issue until the date of expiry".

Totally agree. Unless he (on the right, btw:)) has a history in NZ, then there is no way he has been granted a passport. If he is claiming to have one when he doesn't, then I suspect the NZ immigration people will not look too kindly upon him.

Sexy passport cover, dontcha think? :)

That is just so much BS! did the Thai government apply for extradition? probably not. To say that New Zealand is setting a bad example, again is ridiculous, What about respect for freedom of speech? How is it stopping Thailand from creating and applying it's own laws, surely the failure to stop these two people leaving the country was a failure of the Thai immigration/police/DSI/government!

And finally the idea that this interferes with and causes problems for Thailand's security is a joke so far this government has shown little interest in sorting out the political corruption, or a working constitution.

This is just about shutting people up because the general doesn't like what he hears.

Spot on though I do suspect the victim is just playing with the junta.

It may be just a brilliant way to get more attention focused on this repressive law.

Difficult one this, if he is claiming political persecution it may be he has received asylum. After this is becomes even more difficult as I don't believe Thailand has a reciprocal agreement with NZ. Also, there is no application for common law and NZ don't recognise Lese Majeste as a crime.

So, if they both have a NZ passport there is pretty much nothing Thailand can do about it apart from moan a bit and I doubt they would railroad any serious discussions between the 2 countries over this 1 issue,,, but this is Thailand so you never know.

My word, there are actually people in here thinking he should be deported from an archaic and easily abused law from a country where free speech is a right.

You need to take a good long look at yourselves. You might not agree with what this man said but he should have the right to express it, LM restricts that yes but NZ won't deport him on the count of Thailand's repressive law.

Sadly yes.....

Whilst you are in someone elses country, you obey by the rules and law of that country , I hope the people concerned in exile in NZ obey their laws , I believe in freedom of the media and free speech , so the reason for this, quiet frankly I couldn't give Sh!!t.coffee1.gif