Bangkok: Sign inside taxi explains why he won't use meter

webfact

Sign inside taxi explains why he won’t use meter
By Coconuts Bangkok

signtaxi.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A taxi passenger found out that even though people are handed tickets at the airport before they get into a taxi, some drivers still insist on charging a ridiculous fare.

Facebook user Pom Kultakerng shared photos online of a sign inside a taxi which explained that the driver would not be using his meter.

The user said she was forced to pay THB500 for the ride to the On Nut area once she stepped in the taxi assigned to her at Suvarnabhumi Airport on Sunday.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2015/01/06/sign-inside-taxi-explains-why-he-wont-use-meter

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-01-06

Can't remember fuel being this cheap for a long time, so

his plastic pleading for sympathy gets nought out of me.

And why, pray tell, do other taxi drivers switch their meter on?

Every man and his dog are at it these days. Just do your job properly.

• Like 1

A translation in of the sign would help us see this excuse.

Although I am think it is truly just an excuse and has no merit because he would find other work which has rules to follow no matter what job he does

The linked article has a translation of the sign.

Although I am think it is truly just an excuse and has no merit because he would find other work which has rules to follow no matter what job he does

It is translated. See link. You can always step out of the vehicle and not ride. Simple solution.

• Like 1

It is translated. See link. You can always step out of the vehicle and not ride. Simple solution.

She's a thai too. I am sure she could have haggled with him or at least conversed with him and then change the taxi how come she still agreed to the price and she understands the writing but still went ahead with the ride.

I think it only fair to raise the point that 500 Baht is not a great deal of money, especially if you are from a country such as the UK (as I am) where that ammount of cash would not get to to the next junction.

I stopover in Bangkok very often and have never been overcharged for the taxi to my regular hotel. Instead I feel bad about that fact that the driver has waited in line for hours at the airport, only to get me who is going 5 minutes down the road for a fair of Baht 90. I always pay Baht 200 to resolve my concience.

I don't mind going off-meter, as long as you agree to the fee beforehand and the driver sticks to it.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Getting out of the taxi is indeed the way to go. Second option is to use the complaint note she would have been given if the taxi was assigned to her. As a word of caution, don't give, or let the driver keep, the red slip.

As a note, this is the first time i have heard of this sort of abuse from the taxi ranks at either airport. And i use them a lot.

i also find actually reading the article in question particularly helpful in these situations

This happened to me last week.

The drivers need to be reported and banned from taking customers at the airport.

The Thainess is beginning to show through the regulations aimed at protecting customers from too much Thainess.

• Like 2

Happened to me last week also, we were ushered to the minivan/SUV queue as we had big bags. Driver quoted 500 to Prakanong but he put on the meter when asked to do so. On the way, my wife had a heated debate with him about his initial offer and he explained similarly to the placard shown in the OP. He also said mostly Thais are the ones who complain and most foreigners accept it - I guess as they don't know any better.

• Like 2

Anyone know what the normal fare would be?

Just curious I thought it was a bit of a hike.

From Suvarnaphumn to On Nut should be around 250 Baht.

Not at all. I live in On Nut. Suvarnabhumi to the On Nut intersection is about 160 baht (at night. That's usually when I land)

This has happened to me several times at Suvarnabhumi Airport. Even the staff assigning the taxis are aware and complicit with this practice. One would naturally think the 50 baht surcharge was some assurance of quality. No so here.

• Like 2

This happened to me last week.

The drivers need to be reported and banned from taking customers at the airport.

The Thainess is beginning to show through the regulations aimed at protecting customers from too much Thainess.

Sorry, Thainess does not apply to Farang.