Compressed Air Gun For Competition Shooting

toybits

My son is interested in taking up sport shooting using compressed air gun that shoots pellets at 10 meters distance. Unfortunately, there are no shops here in Chiang Rai. I was wondering if any members know of a shop in Chiang Mai that sell this kind of equipment.

Compressed Air gun Brands I am interested in are the following: Morini, Padrini, Steyr and Feinwerkbau.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

aren't these illegal? id like to get one of these for shooting any unauthorized drunk people walking on my compound at nights.

.357 magnum is more effective TB. Senyum.

yeah but i wouldn't want to mess up my compound. nanti kotor! susah.

My son is interested in taking up sport shooting using compressed air gun that shoots pellets at 10 meters distance. Unfortunately, there are no shops here in Chiang Rai. I was wondering if any members know of a shop in Chiang Mai that sell this kind of equipment.

Compressed Air gun Brands I am interested in are the following: Morini, Padrini, Steyr and Feinwerkbau.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately Toybits these are illegal for foreign ownership. See the attached extract from the Thai Firearms registration. Any weapons that can launch a projectile by compressed air or gas have to be registered.

Firearms Registration

Definition

"Firearms" refers to all types of weapons employ explosions, gas pressure, and other kinds of mechanisms desired, from every or any part of the weapons to drive bullets, as deemed relevant by the Minister and specified in Ministerial regulations.

Person (s) authorized to issue Firearms Licenses

Permission to possess firearms and ammunition.

Firearms Licenses with the Bangkok Metropolitan area will be issued by the Chief of the Registration Division (Central Investigation Bureau) or by an Acting Officer.

Firearms Licenses for areas other than Bangkok will be issued by the Chief District Officer (a local Registrar).

Licenses to carry personal firearms.

Firearms Licenses to carry personal firearms for the Bangkok Metropolitan area and throughout the Kingdom will be issued by the Director-General of the Royal Thai Police Department.

Firearms Licenses to carry personal firearms in areas other than Bangkok will be issued by the Provincial Governor where the applicant resides. The firearms can only be carried in the province where the license is granted

Permission to operate a business relating to firearms and ammunition.

Permission to operate a business relating to firearms and ammunition will be granted by a local Registrar who is appointed by the Minister of Interior.

Permission to operate a business relating to explosives.

Permission to operate a business relating to explosives will be granted by a local Registrar who is appointed by the Minister of Interior.

Permission to possess and transport explosives in the Kingdom.

Permission to possess and transport explosives will be granted by a local Registrar who is appointed by the Minister of Interior.

Permission to import and/or manufacture fireworks.

Permission to import and/or manufacture fireworks will be granted by a local Registrar who is appointed by the Minister of Interior............................................................

not to put to fine a point on it, but 'registered' does not make a thing 'illegal'. it simply means that it must be registered. if you have a valid reason to own such a device then registration is probably just a matter of jumping through the hoops.

good luck.

BTW, try the night market on huey kaeo rd. and perhaps the tourist night market. i know they sell several tyoes of swithcblade knives down there.

not to put to fine a point on it, but 'registered' does not make a thing 'illegal'. it simply means that it must be registered. if you have a valid reason to own such a device then registration is probably just a matter of jumping through the hoops.

OK I'll spell it out another way seeing that you completely misunderstood the post.....The law prohibits aliens from owing them and no matter how many hoops as you call them, you jump through, it will be to no avail.

OK I'll spell it out another way seeing that you completely misunderstood the post.....The law prohibits aliens from owing them and no matter how many hoops as you call them, you jump through, it will be to no avail.

I don't know if there is a difference, but I have a paintball gun that sounds like your 'regulations.'

I got my gun via mail from the States. When it arrived, I had to go to the airport customs to pick it up because it was registered as being more than 20,000 baht.... If not, then I could have paid whatever was due at the Post Office

Paid 7,000 baht for an import permit for 'Toys' which the gun seemed to fit...Maybe the trick is to call it something other than the truth...

Some of the hoops involve obtaining Thai citizenship first... which foreigners who qualify are more than welcome to do. Then you can own firearms as a local foreigner so to speak.

:o

Some of the hoops involve obtaining Thai citizenship first... which foreigners who qualify are more than welcome to do. Then you can own firearms as a local foreigner so to speak.

Quite so Heng, but I didn't think that was worth mentioning being a rather major hoop :o

Quite so Heng, but I didn't think that was worth mentioning being a rather major hoop :o

How many people apply for citizenship to be eligible to buy an airgun?

Why not buy your kid a catapult instead?

There is/was a gunsmith family in Chiang Mai. There shop use to be near the intersection of the Super and Chotana, west of the last gas station on your left heading out of town. The son was once on the Thai Olympic shooting team. I don't know if the family is still in business, but just ask around amongst any police or military acquaintances. If anyone would know where to get a competition air rifle they would know. And if that public shooting range is still open at the southeast corner of the army complex between Chiang Mai and Mae Rim along 107 you might ask there too.

How many people apply for citizenship to be eligible to buy an airgun?

Why not buy your kid a catapult instead?

Folks get citizenship to own property, to not have to do visa runs, or whatever they want it for. Airguns and guns are just a bonus I guess. :D For kids: from those who I know, it's a difficult to master sport whose participants are typically dedicated, focused, and cool minded individuals. IMO, individual (not team) athletics are an important part of raising a well rounded kid here in the LOS where everything seems group based... but I suppose a catapult would be a fun thing to have in the backyard as well.

:D

Edited by Heng

in the states they make and have competitions for huge air charged cannons that that shoot pumkins several hundred yards. boooom!

and, to beat a dead horse.

i am sorry, but on re-reading the post with the 'regulations' quoted i just don't see anything there that says anything at all about aliens, (rather makes me out to be from another planet doesn't it?), being forbidden to own or register a device as the OP describes. numerous references to who may give such permission, but nothing about to whom they may give it. or did i miss something?

I think this whole thread is crap. Obviously, since I was given a gun by customs, then the 'gun law' as quoted is ridiculous if seen to pertain to air/gas guns, which ARE legal to own...

those precision air guns are a joy to use. I had a nice RWS rifle in the states. Could take out a small varmint at 50 meters. near silent and cheap to use too.

I see places like in Mae Sai selling lots of pellets but cheap pistols.

if you get one just don't do anything stupid with it and get caught.. would be bad for your bank account.

No problems with the cops as long as you don't shoot anyone... Unfortunately, I did have a problem with the cops after a kid in my car shot someone walking along the street. In the end, cost was 1,000 baht for 'Medical Expenses'...

And in Mai Sai, they have 'good' guns for sale, but not sitting around. The guy has to go across the river first to collect one for you...

Edited by Ajarn

• 2 years later...

Turned up this thread in my 'search' - since I too want info on where to buy this - preferably in Chiangmai.

Most replies are about its legality etc. No precise info on where to buy one in Chiangmai - though a couple of pointers on where to look/ask.

Would anyone have any up-to-date and more specific info - in Chiangmai?

If it's my only option, does Ajarn have specific info on how/where to source at/through Maesai?

go on jumping trough hoops. some foreigners walk into a shop in Bangkok, buy one, pay and walk out :o

I brought 2 air rifles in last year. I declared them with the airport check in. Bags got hung up in bkk (they were checked straight away sfo-bkk-cm. ) when they came in they called and said do you have gun in bag i told them yes and proceeded to airport and pick them up. was not a problem.......

now have some fun shooting rats and other undesirables around the property.....

There are two shops in Rincombe market, by nimblehymen crossraods, one halfway down the left hand side, one at the back, sells military type stuff.

If they dont have the brand you want - you could ask them where. I often see them bring out the automatic air rifles and fire at cardboard boxes.

You can also get handmade air rifles that shoot bigger pellets, and take 20 pumps to 'charge' these will kill. nasty.

Not sure on legality in CM muni.

Seems I saw a large selection of these in one of the poncho/helmet/military regalia shops on the north outer moat road, Maneeopparat Road.

Happy hunting..... :o

Thanks for the info - will look.

There are two shops in Rincombe market, by nimblehymen crossraods, one halfway down the left hand side, one at the back, sells military type stuff.

If they dont have the brand you want - you could ask them where. I often see them bring out the automatic air rifles and fire at cardboard boxes.

You can also get handmade air rifles that shoot bigger pellets, and take 20 pumps to 'charge' these will kill. nasty.

Thanks for the info - will look.

blimey, question is 2 years old. guess he may have found em by now...

It wasn't the OP but I who revived the question.

Give me a call if you do come to the market 0857059015. I can take you straight to the guys i know, they will probably know the best place. Or if you call after 8pm most days, i can ask them there and then, maybe save you a trip...

Edited by UKWEBPRO