TOT IPTV Firmware Upgrade Scam

johndeuf

I've had a TOT IPTV box for about a year, but only started to use it recently as I replaced my old CRT TV for a LED TV.

I have been trying to get the most out of the TOT box, and I had installed XBMC, then KODI, and everything was working fine. Then this morning, I made the mistake of thinking that a firmware upgrade would improve the possibilities of the box, and I installed the upgrade from http://totiptv.com/MPA108.html. Later, I was trying to install Google Play Store, and when I tried to install the apk file, i got the following message:"The application did not pass verification and cannot be installed". After trying different things, I did a factory reset, hoping that it would solve my problem, and now I cannot reinstall XBMC or KODI or anything that is not preloaded by TOT. Everything preloaded works fine.

I called their hotline and went to their office in town, and it appears that they don't want people to be able to install anything outside of what is offered by TOT. It seems they realized that people don't need to buy their packages if they can install some apps that give free access to hundreds of channels and movies, and they're blocking that.

The version I installed is V1.03.03MC03_20140815, and the previous one that I had before was V1.03.01MC03_20130521.

So, this is a warning for people using the IPTV box, if you are able to install apk files for outside apps, make sure you don't upgrade the firmware, because you will loose that capability.

If anybody has an idea how I can get back the old firmware, please let me know.

Returned set top box to TOT after one year of use. Now is much better option to watch DVB-T2 tv (Thai channels), zero impact on internet speed also.

You may buy just free of lock outs Android TV box and install anything. A lot of them available now.