3 day overstay - risky?

Getting an overstay stamp in your passport would be "something horrible". Getting an extension stamp is not - they give you 7 days almost automatically, if they don't, they'll just turn you away. In both cases this is much better than an overstay. I don't understand your concern about the 7 day extension.

I agree that past overstays have been scrutinized on returning individuals in some cases, even if they were short and happened a while ago. Those individuals that are "pushing their luck" in regards to doing a lot of in-out visa runs (but may be spending a couple of days away from Thailand in the meantime) are much more likely to be admitted than those in a similar situation or possibly even less time spent in Thailand but who have overstayed.

Undue scaremongering. An overstay stamp is no big deal and in most cases no deal at all.

Proof: cases 10 yrs overstay cleared and then re-entry after 2 days.

• Like 2

I was 11 years overstay and re-admitted 4 days later in August (visa exempt) have departed and entered a few times since then on tourist visa and also have received two extensions at CW all with the overstay stamp most apparent as it was a new passport into which it was stamped. Apart from when I left to clear the overstay and on my immediate return was I questioned; otherwise the IOs never mentioned it. They seem to want to make sure people are clear and once they are then at least, thus far, it has not been an issue in my case at least. Whether it will become so retrospectively is only a matter of speculation as neither the consulate where I obtained a visa nor any IO at a variety of entry points have raised it. My experience has been very positive with the immigration officers at the points of entry (land/air) and in Bangkok CW office. However I would not recommend for anyone to purposefully overstay particularly when there is a viable alternative of an extension available.

Edited by gilo
  • Like 1

In all likelihood, nothing bad will transpire from three days overstay either in your passport or when you leave. That said, the price difference is 400 baht and some hassle. If someone paid you 400 baht to be stressed out on vacation, would you take the money? If not, go to immigration and 5get the extension.

I would argue that getting the extension is the hassle and the risk is negligible. Stress over a 3 day overstay? I think not.

Getting an overstay stamp in your passport would be "something horrible". Getting an extension stamp is not - they give you 7 days almost automatically, if they don't, they'll just turn you away. In both cases this is much better than an overstay. I don't understand your concern about the 7 day extension.

I agree that past overstays have been scrutinized on returning individuals in some cases, even if they were short and happened a while ago. Those individuals that are "pushing their luck" in regards to doing a lot of in-out visa runs (but may be spending a couple of days away from Thailand in the meantime) are much more likely to be admitted than those in a similar situation or possibly even less time spent in Thailand but who have overstayed.

Undue scaremongering. An overstay stamp is no big deal and in most cases no deal at all.

Agreed. Shrill scaremongering at its best. I have incurred small overstate due to issues with flight departure dates etc. No one has ever batted an eyelash. We are talking about 3 days here, not 3 years.

• Like 1

Agreed. Shrill scaremongering at its best. I have incurred small overstate due to issues with flight departure dates etc. No one has ever batted an eyelash. We are talking about 3 days here, not 3 years.

Not one question about my two previous overstays during my return to Thailand.

Even after spending a couple of weeks at the IDC, with a one year overstay.

If you are cleared to go from your last overstay, you are cleared in general.

• Like 1