Can a Thai overstay?

Hi, hope someone can help.

My wife and son have dual citizenship (British & Thai) and passports from both countries. However their Thai passports have expired so they entered Thailand using their British passports under the Visa Exemption Rule (30 day stamp). We will be here for a total of 34 days, so my question is, will they be overstating and have to pay a fine when we get to immigration at the airport?

Many thanks

They could have entered on their expired Thai passports (but not leave on it, so they would have needed new passports while in Thailand).

Immigration will fine them for overstay at 500 baht a day (but chldren under 15 are exempt). They can get an extenson of stay for 1,900 baht without any problem at immigration, thus avoiding the overstay.

Yes they will be on overstay. The fine is 500 baht a day. If your child is under 15 years old he will not charged the fine.

To avoid being on an overstay they could apply for a 7 day extension at immigration, pay the fee of 1900 baht and be given 7 days to leave.

For future reference Thais can travel to and enter the country with an expired passport.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I didn't realise they could enter on an expired passport, something to remember in future, thanks.

So they can overstay in their own country! If they were caught after 30 days would they face imprisonment ?

When you say that they can get an extension at immigration is that at the airport or local office?

Thanks again.

When a Thai enters the country on a foreign passport they are under the immigration rules the same as anybody else is that enters with one. But being caught with an overstay should not happen if they have a Thai card to show.

Extensions can only be applied for at an immigration office.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I didn't realise they could enter on an expired passport, something to remember in future, thanks.

So they can overstay in their own country! If they were caught after 30 days would they face imprisonment ?

When you say that they can get an extension at immigration is that at the airport or local office?

Thanks again.

Local office.

I think if your wife shows her expired Thai passport or her Thai ID if she has, no immigration officer will fine her.

Although there is no constitution right now, under the old one, it would be abusing her rights as a Thai citizen(and she is one - doesn't need a passport).

She could slip them a little donation or threaten to take them to the court.

I think if your wife shows her expired Thai passport or her Thai ID if she has, no immigration officer will fine her.

Although there is no constitution right now, under the old one, it would be abusing her rights as a Thai citizen(and she is one - doesn't need a passport).

She could slip them a little donation or threaten to take them to the court.

Experience from members is that immigration will fine her, she entered on a foreign paspsort and thus is subject to immirgaiton rues (including overstay) as far as immigraiton is concerned. Thai passport or not.

Many thanks everyone.

Ok so a trip into town it is then.

We will need Passport, fee and anything else, photos?

Should we bother with an extension for our 9 year old son as he is exempt from any fine?

Thank you.

they entered Thailand using their British passports under the Visa Exemption Rule (30 day stamp).

They can get an extenson of stay for 1,900 baht without any problem at immigration, thus avoiding the overstay.

So an extention for 1,900 baht should give them another 30 days and not

they could apply for a 7 day extension at immigration, pay the fee of 1900 baht and be given 7 days to leave.

So what gives folks, 7 days or 30 days for the same price, or as the Law changed once again. facepalm.gif

Win coffee1.gif

Edited by Kan Win

they entered Thailand using their British passports under the Visa Exemption Rule (30 day stamp).

They can get an extenson of stay for 1,900 baht without any problem at immigration, thus avoiding the overstay.

So an extention for 1,900 baht should give them another 30 days and not

they could apply for a 7 day extension at immigration, pay the fee of 1900 baht and be given 7 days to leave.

So what gives folks, 7 days or 30 days for the same price, or as the Law changed once again. facepalm.gif

Win coffee1.gif

Or they could even apply for a one year extension based on being Thai, all for the same fee. I don't think Immigration will give the "denied extension" 7 days to leave when they actually qualify for an extension.

Sophon

please read, If you enter thailand on a british passport, YOU must leave on a british passport. even if you are born here, the passport say's you are british and that what the records shows. if you try and leave on a thai passport, your british passport will show you have never left, and you could be fined next time you try to enter.

go to the thai passport office and get new passports for your family, talk with them, you should have a re-entry card still in ther thai passports when they left Thailand the last time plus a stamp. unless you got them overseas. they wil explian what you can do or not do.

if you are staying more than 30 days you will get a fine for 4 days at 500 per day, each. or get an extenison at an office near where you are staying. take air tickets etc, they will help you.

I know this for I travel with my thai wife and my son, who has both thai and british passports, many times and to many countries. some countries do not care where you are born, the officer at IMM does not care, he just checks your passport etc, goes to the computer, checks when you have entered and you leave and stamps your passport acordingly, etc. that's it. but most are real nice and do not fine you, but explain, what will happen next time.

next time you come back make sure of your stay time, 30 days for a tourist not 34. then no fine