Home-visit from Immigration

Just wanted to hear if this is normal procedure or we should be worried:

Thai-married with Non-O visa - went to Imm. to apply for extension with all documents (incl. pics of us at home, handdrawn map to our home etc.), took almost Whole day. At the end of the interview the Imm.-officer she stated that we could expect a visit from Immigration in the next 10-15 days ....

And they surely came to our home - 3 Guys to ask Q mainly to the manager of our condominium like if I was a good man not beating my wife and so on ... Is this really normal, I mean that Immigration have the Manpower to send 3 Guys to anyone that applies for extension based on marriage ?

I would be fine if applicants could spend less time at Immigration and the visit could be "the final test" to prove that people are actually living together.

Appreciate all input.

It is normal at some immigration offices to do the home visit for the first extension of stay based upon marriage. They don't do them after that.

Some offices have you bring a witness or 2 to immigration when you apply instead of doing the home visit.

I have never had a home visit because that had us get a letter from the local police chief to take back to them after they accepted the application.

Can I expect to wait all day in BKK and wife to miss work and then to wait all day again and wife miss work again for the house call?

I'm no longer surprised by anything Immigration does. Obviously, they couldn't care less about my wife, her income or myself.

First, last time I make a visa this way. Really thinking we just leave (my 02thb). Three people, they don't even need one to go to EVERY applicants home. Two could be in office expediting visa process. Thailand, its just beyond the pale anymore.

Edited by Mencken

Can I expect to wait all day in BKK and wife to miss work and then to wait all day again and wife miss work again for the house call?

I'm no longer surprised by anything Immigration does. Obviously, they couldn't care less about my wife, her income or myself.

First, last time I make a visa this way. Really thinking we just leave (my 02thb).

It could take most of the day at Chaeng Wattana according to recent reports.

They contact you to set the time for the home visit. There should be no reason to wait all day.

Happened when I applied for my First Extension. We were not at home, so then they knocked on the doors of a couple of neighbours in the village. Perhaps in typical Thai Fashion, "no one knew NUTHING about the FERANG."

We then had a letter delivered, telling me I had to show up with a member of my wife's family, complete with ALL of their I.D., household form and whatever else. She was then interviewed at length (after I was told to leave the room.) She obviously told them what they needed to know as this was a number of years ago and we've had no further "home visits."

So, don't worry too much, they are just doing the job they are paid to do. Rather comforting to know that some departments are "on the ball."

I'm currently "under consideration" waiting for my extension based on marriage to be approved. I applied @ Kap Choeng and was told that I would get a home visit. It's not my first marriage extension and was told the reason we were going to be visited was that I was changing from a retirement extension to a marriage extension. I never had a visit for my first mariage extension 4 years ago. The visit itself was quite painless. My wife got a phone call in the morning to inform us of the time they would arrive. The 2 officers who turned up were professional and courteous. They asked us a few non-invasive questions and took a couple of photos then they wanted to interview the Puyai Ban & his helper who confirmed our marriage, signed a few documents and provided copies of their ID cards & blue house books. Took less than an hour in all.

Edited by mxyzptlk

I have a friend down south that swears he and a few others have had visits from immigration and they are on retirement ext.

He said they visited his house , refused drink food , spent 30 mins looking round , made some notes and left.

Thanks everyone and good luck op. Beyond stupid. You bring your wife and a ton of info, present yourselves only to have cops waste even more of your time on a visit.

The story about the poster not being there is classic.

All for the privilege of a temporary visa whuch you must report every 90 days.

• 8 months later...

I have a friend down south that swears he and a few others have had visits from immigration and they are on retirement ext.

Kap Choeng are now doing the same. A home visit for a Retirement Visa will be the norm. They said they will visit every other year up to the age of 70. After that they stop, New rules apparently.