Loi Kroh police check

Chicog

I like to use Loy Kroh as a shortcut to pop out by Pantip during the day

rather than Sridonchai road & a couple weeks back I saw that guy/cop

He was already working a falang who had a rental scooter but did have a helmet etc.

Must be the cops personal little earning spot

Uh oh! Best invest in some "Man tan," Chicog!! But then, finding any tanning lotion for sale in Chiang Mai is probably impossible. Try a burka?

And then you wouldn't have to worry going out in curlers,either!

Edited by Mapguy

I have been dinged twice at that spot. They are targeting people who cut straight across Changklan Rd on Loi Kroh. Only a right turn is permitted at that intersection. Both times I have been nicked they sent me to the police station for a 200 baht fine. So they are not on the take, unlike the police on Tha Phae just W of the bridge. I have been stopped there twice too, both times for nothing, and both times paid tea money (400 baht each).

• Like 1

I have been dinged twice at that spot. They are targeting people who cut straight across Changklan Rd on Loi Kroh. Only a right turn is permitted at that intersection. Both times I have been nicked they sent me to the police station for a 200 baht fine. So they are not on the take, unlike the police on Tha Phae just W of the bridge. I have been stopped there twice too, both times for nothing, and both times paid tea money (400 baht each).

Crikey, you were robbed ! didn't you know that everything is negotiable in Thailand biggrin.png

• Like 2

That spot is where he earns his money, as Mania pointed out , and he's been there for at least a year. His one and only task is to book people coming straight across the Loi Kroh/Changklan intersection, which is a compulsory right turn.

I must have seen a different one then as the guy I saw was close to the corner

@ opposite end ( left turn from Kotchasan onto Loi Kroh)

Funny then that he took some farang round the corner to 'write a ticket' but just did the Thai where he stopped him :)

Crikey, you were robbed ! didn't you know that everything is negotiable in Thailand biggrin.png

that spot has been assigned to a cop for at least the past 22+ years and the target are those not turning right. when i saw the newspaper photo of the cib head honcho who busted i thought he looked like a twin to one who use to hide there 20+ years ago. if so he really stepped up in his collection receipts probably mistaken though.

• Like 2

That cop has been there for years and one of my Thai cycling friends told me about it one day as we walked our bikes across there. But of course I risked it a few months ago on a motorcycle and it was the same guy that nabbed 500 baht from me. Thai or farang, he will jump out of hiding at the last second.

So they are not on the take, unlike the police on Tha Phae just W of the bridge. I have been stopped there twice too, both times for nothing, and both times paid tea money (400 baht each).

We got pulled over there about a month ago - there looked to be 5 or 6 policemen pulling only Farangs. We hadn't done anything wrong, I couldn't see that they people being pulled over were doing anything wrong either. Ours was looking quite happy and expectant when he pulled us. He asked for driver's licence and Mr K handed it over and he looked quite disappointed and said 'Oh, Thai licence, on your way' or words to that effect, so obviously they were going for tourists without the international permit.

Or maybe I just give off the vibe that I have never and will never pay bribes. Mr K has been pinged 3 times in 5 years, on each occasion totally his fault, and on each occasion no mention of paying anything other than the ticket at the station. I don't understand how it is neither we, or anyone else I've spoken to in person, has never been asked for tea money or given a choice of how to pay when they'd done something wrong and got helpful directions to the police station for payment of their ticket. Perhaps it's because we don't offer or look as though we're going to offer???

I don't understand how it is neither we, or anyone else I've spoken to in person, has never been asked for tea money or given a choice of how to pay when they'd done something wrong and got helpful directions to the police station for payment of their ticket. Perhaps it's because we don't offer or look as though we're going to offer???

You're not alone. None of my Thai friends here or in Bangkok or anyone in my partner's family has ever paid a bribe to a policeman in their lives. It's been discussed a few times over the years and I've mentioned that I've read on the Internet about people being asked for and/or offering bribes and they seem very surprised. I've only had one or two tickets over the years but my license was taken, I was ticketed, and I was instructed to go to the police station.

If you want to go across there by car, you need to do a left at the Meridian, then right at the D2, right into Night Bazar, then you can make the left turn. Why not do the same on bikes?

Because the point of driving a bike, other than affordability is to get there quick and to be able to duck and weave in and out of the traffic. Since Thais on bikes drive the wrong way up one way streets and ignore traffic signs most farangs end up doing the same. When they get stopped, they see it as a personal vendetta, when in reality Thais are getting booked as well as farangs.

At the spot in question the copper there doesn't seem to discriminate, although he doesn't book the guys taking the stalls in and out, because they're working and he probably knows them all. Doing it right is an option, choosing not too is up to the individual, but they can't really complain if they get stopped.

• Like 1

I don't understand how it is neither we, or anyone else I've spoken to in person, has never been asked for tea money or given a choice of how to pay when they'd done something wrong and got helpful directions to the police station for payment of their ticket. Perhaps it's because we don't offer or look as though we're going to offer???

You're not alone. None of my Thai friends here or in Bangkok or anyone in my partner's family has ever paid a bribe to a policeman in their lives. It's been discussed a few times over the years and I've mentioned that I've read on the Internet about people being asked for and/or offering bribes and they seem very surprised. I've only had one or two tickets over the years but my license was taken, I was ticketed, and I was instructed to go to the police station.

My experience is similar over many years. I have been nabbed from time to time, but never has a BIB suggested a bribe; nor have I. And I don't personally know anyone who has bribed a policeman or been asked to do so. And I can not recall that it has ever come up in conversation among friends; just on TV Chiang Mai. That's curious! Not that I doubt that bribes happen. Maybe it is like a bad marriage where both contribute to the situation!

You beat me to it. It is indeed a lucrative spot for catching law breakers. People seem to think that no one will say any thing about them driving straight through there but surprise that is not the case.

got done there about 5years ago,to be honest im sure at the time i did not no i was in the wrong. soon found out i was,payed at the police station.my first fine as well,move foreward 5 years, and the next fine i got (u turn) i greased his palm saved me going to the station.

Edited by true blue

He got me. Turning right wasn't an option as there were multiple tour buses jamming up the road and where otherwise you may be able to pass, tuk-tuks filled in those gaps. I sat for about 10 minutes at the crossing and traffic wasn't moving so I went straight. He jumped out of nowhere on me. Smelled like whiskey. I think he hits the sauce while he hides and waits.

Just another chubby faced farmer in a tight costume with a gun. Calling him a "policeman" would be a disservice to all real policemen around the world.

• Like 2

They got me at that spot just west of the bridge on Tha Phae last Friday morning, along with a slew of other foreigners... I had all my papers in order and I was wearing a helmet, but the BiB didn't like it, so off to the cop shop to pay 400 baht...

They got me at that spot just west of the bridge on Tha Phae last Friday morning, along with a slew of other foreigners... I had all my papers in order and I was wearing a helmet, but the BiB didn't like it, so off to the cop shop to pay 400 baht...

You forgot to mention what you were fined for.