How much salt in those prepackaged meals at the big stores?

Hal65

At the big C they have a lot of prepackaged meals, my favorite ones being the scoop of rice and fried egg with a little packet of pork/chicken. Any idea how much sodium is in one of those things?

Too many variables. If it's food prepared in the store, it'll differ from one Big C to another and it'll depend on who's preparing it. I doubt they have some country-wide uniform preparation guide for such things.

Thais don't tend to use a lot of table salt in cooking things, but it'll be present from fish sauce & other add-ons used in cooking & preservatives and they may use MSG & the cheapest cooking oils which could be another concern if you're worried about what you're actually consuming.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

It is written in English and Thai on the packet on the pre-packaged meals. The in-house shrink wrapped meals you need to be more concerned about bacteria, I have been very sick twice after eating in-house takeaway meals from Villa.

Edited by Estrada
  • Like 1

I have involved in the food industry for over 40 years. I have visited factories in this time, that make these monstrosities, and believe me if you seend it yourself, you would never eat another one of these meals.

The best advice I can give anyone, is simple......Don't buy them. They are so detrimental to your health its unbelievable. The part of your body that suffers most from thease things is your Liver. Which is given the task of dealing with all the nasties that are in these things.

Walk away, and buy some fresh food instead !!!

Many years back, Mum worked in the food industry. I have never known her to ever consume the food that was processed there or anywhere else that food was processed. It is very popular too. Mum is 91+ , still driving with safe driver stamped on her driver card.

Too many variables. If it's food prepared in the store, it'll differ from one Big C to another and it'll depend on who's preparing it. I doubt they have some country-wide uniform preparation guide for such things.

Thais don't tend to use a lot of table salt in cooking things, but it'll be present from fish sauce & other add-ons used in cooking & preservatives and they may use MSG & the cheapest cooking oils which could be another concern if you're worried about what you're actually consuming.

Why don't you just read the label to see how much sodium is in the meal? This seems a no brainer to me.

I have involved in the food industry for over 40 years. I have visited factories in this time, that make these monstrosities, and believe me if you seend it yourself, you would never eat another one of these meals.

The best advice I can give anyone, is simple......Don't buy them. They are so detrimental to your health its unbelievable. The part of your body that suffers most from thease things is your Liver. Which is given the task of dealing with all the nasties that are in these things.

At the market...fresh is best.

With lashings of formaldehyde.

Mmmmm --- get that into you.

• Like 1

Why don't you just read the label to see how much sodium is in the meal? This seems a no brainer to me.

Wow - do they have enforceable regulations about printing this? whistling.gif

Many years back, Mum worked in the food industry. I have never known her to ever consume the food that was processed there or anywhere else that food was processed. It is very popular too. Mum is 91+ , still driving with safe driver stamped on her driver card.

Coming partially from the food industry I complete agree......I recall when my father went to a customer who produces noodles. When he came back his face was greenish white and refused to eat noodles with eggs since than biggrin.png .

Indeed. Simply being "involved" in the food industry does not mean that you are qualified to say these things are detrimental. It seems that a truely knowlegable person could and would be more informative in just as many words. So what substance(s) are in prepackaged food in levels that can damage my liver?