Ram Memory

alexth

I have purchased an ASUS P5W DH Deluxe motherboard and I need some good memories for it, price is not an issue. At first I was going for some Corsair TWINX XMS2 PC6400 DDR2 2GB 800MHz, but the seller told me that they may be incompatible and recommended me G.Skill (which I never personally heard of). What should I do now? I wuld really like to go with Corsair, OCZ or something really good.

Personally after working for a integrator that built PC's from boards and bits, I would only use what ASUS spec on their website as it can cause all sorts of issues, but it may not.

Check some of the PC reviews and see what comes up best in the tests with that board

Personally after working for a integrator that built PC's from boards and bits, I would only use what ASUS spec on their website as it can cause all sorts of issues, but it may not.

Check some of the PC reviews and see what comes up best in the tests with that board

I've tried that but nothing really comes out... :o

When in doubt, bring the PC to the shop, and try it there.

The board is a DDR2 board, so the corsair ram should work... it's way overkill in specs. Strange that the seller would recommend a cheaper brand... usually it's the other way around.

When in doubt, bring the PC to the shop, and try it there.

The board is a DDR2 board, so the corsair ram should work... it's way overkill in specs. Strange that the seller would recommend a cheaper brand... usually it's the other way around.

Well, it was Busitek. He said that the Corsair I wanted ( Corsair TWINX XMS2 PC6400 DDR2 2GB 800MHz ) was not in stock but that he is not sure that it would even work, so he recommended me this G.Skill. I made a little bit of research and it turns out that this Corsair TWINX XMS2 PC6400 DDR2 2GB 800MHz not only that it is compatible, but it is also recommened :D Now, who should I belive. Should I take it that he gets a better profit by selling me the G.Skill or that he doesn't know what he is talking about? :o

Edited by alexth

Well, it was Busitek. He said that the Corsair I wanted ( Corsair TWINX XMS2 PC6400 DDR2 2GB 800MHz ) was not in stock but that he is not sure that it would even work, so he recommended me this G.Skill. I made a little bit of research and it turns out that this Corsair TWINX XMS2 PC6400 DDR2 2GB 800MHz not only that it is compatible, but it is also recommened :D Now, who should I belive. Should I take it that he gets a better profit by selling me the G.Skill or that he doesn't know what he is talking about? :o

I saw one site announcing a cooperative effort between ASUS and Corsair and also ASUS and OCZ for this mainboard so I don't see it being an issue. But as Firefox says, take it in and verify it.

I saw one site announcing a cooperative effort between ASUS and Corsair and also ASUS and OCZ for this mainboard so I don't see it being an issue. But as Firefox says, take it in and verify it.

Yeah, I guess I'll take my chances, as far as I researched, I couldn't find any incompatibility either, guess it's just a sales strategy.

Corsair, Crucial and Kingston. Never had any problems with any motherboard or any laptop running either of those 3 bands.

My own preference is Crucial but they are all on a par.

Stay away from the lesser brands if u can.

Check : www.crucial.com tells you all there is to know about memory and probably your boards needs.

I can't find a simple program that would tell what RAM is in my computer without opening the case. I've got a warranty sticker on this Acer and I've opened it only once - for VGA card. Lug the whole thing to the shops? Forget it.

I also have an old memory stick that would probably fit in one of the old computers around the office, but which one?

I got Belarc Advisor recommended on Crucial website, but it, like many other programs, only tells me the size of RAM, not the exact type. Ok, for Acer they have model list and it tells me that it's DDR 400, but that doesn't help with other, generic computers.