Spherical HDR panoramas

AleG

Good work!

Would be more impressive 1024px wide though. Ahh sorry I just clicked the link for larger version, I take that back.facepalm.gif

How many shots for each photo and what lens you rockin?

What sort of head do you use?

Nodal ninja by any chance?

Edited by rhythmworx

Good work!

Would be more impressive 1024px wide though. Ahh sorry I just clicked the link for larger version, I take that back.facepalm.gif

Oh just wait for this. Alex makes his own. Prints his own pano heads!

Good work!

facepalm.gif ah I see now too ... if you click the link underneath they go to a linked site Panaramio .... OK carry on! wink.png

Edited by samuijimmy

Good work!

As MJP said, I use a pano head I 3D printed. this one. It's made to fit a Sigma 10-20mm lens, at 10mm and taking three exposures for the HDRI it takes 54 pictures to make the spherical panorama; eight photos every 45 degrees pointing down 30 degrees, another eight going around tilted 30 degrees up, and one top and bottom photos to wrap it up. It may sound complicated, but it doesn't take more than a minute.

• Like 1

Are they your aluminium step ladders or did one of the builders leave them behind? biggrin.png

PS...I'm not taking the piss there, just wondered

They do rock climbing there, the ladder is to reach the bottom of some of the rock overhangs.

Hi AleG,

Super photos and thank you for sharing them with us. wai.gif

re:- a few spherical panos. What does that mean, as I use a pano program that gives the Up, Down then again, again and again photos. The process named "Tile". Is this the same method as in "Panorama Maker 5"? facepalm.gif

Win, enjoying the learning bit as always thumbsup.gif

Hi AleG,

Super photos and thank you for sharing them with us. wai.gif

re:- a few spherical panos. What does that mean, as I use a pano program that gives the Up, Down then again, again and again photos. The process named "Tile". Is this the same method as in "Panorama Maker 5"? facepalm.gif

Win, enjoying the learning bit as always thumbsup.gif

Hey, no problem. I wasn't sure about sharing them here since as of late I've been having some issues with stalking beheaviour in the forum, but as the saying goes, illegitimi non carborundum. ;)

I don't know about Panorama Maker 5, I use PTGui to stitch together the panoramas, they are made out of 18 HDRI images each and the trick is to get them properly aligned, match the exposure and mask things out, for example a walking person that appears on two contiguous photos so that it only shows up in one.

The process with PTGui is that the program first estimates the alignment, and if it can't get a solution on its own you need to add control points that match in between different photos. That can be tricky in environments with moving objects, like tree leaves, waves and people.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was at one time, after discovering 360cities.net, interested in making these spherical panoramas, but the cost of a special pano head, 15mm fish-eye lens, SLR to bolt it onto and time spent joining photo,s put me off.

I now take the easy route. My smartphone has the Google apk to make Photospheres which takes about 44 photos in a couple of minutes, joins them all automatically, and I can then upload to my Google plus and from there to Google maps, so if they are accepted they will appear on their Street View. I can also upload to 360cities and they will put them on Google Earth.

https://www.google.com/maps/views/view/115394776417087343398/gphoto/6105264048247979010

Main road on Doi Ang Khang panorama in Thailand - 360Cities
  • Like 1