Sawasdee Krub (the goodbye one)

srchino

Bon' Voyage folks ...... don't forget to write !!

when you get back home ... ignore the high taxes, corruption, bureaucratic red tape, over the top regulations for anything you try to do, cost of living, must have a license for everything you do, expensive for a cup of coffee, can't do this can't do that, & anything else I forgot to mention ...... clap2.gif

I love Thailand ... !!!!!

Last time I looked, a good cup of coffee here cost the same as the US. However, if you like Nescafe then the cost is about the same. Of course, when with your bar friends your statement would be, "in my Country you can't even have a few beers and drive your car or walk stupidly down the street without being arrested." Now, rewrite your post and give your real reason.

Wrong !! ....... I buy a machine processed cup of coffee made from beans imported from Brizal for 40 baht each day ..... and I know many other coffee houses offer similar ..... in your country it's around $5 minimum so thats about 4 x ...

Also , I'm a loner ... no bar friends like your leaving behind ..... and it's got absolutely nothing to do with driving a car after drinking ... that is considered illegal in any country.

I'm talking about ... if I own a block of land in the US , UK , Australia or elsewhere ... Legally I cannot even dig a hole on my land unless I get a permit ... I cannot cut down a tree on my own land unless I get a permit ..... I cannot go fishing on my property unless I have a license .....I cannot have a BBQ on my land unless I obtain permission & a permit to light the BBQ ..... and so on .... and so on ....

Do you get the point or are you still in denial .... coffee1.gif

No need to be antagonistic against those you don't agree with. Different strokes for different folks.

For example, sir, I've been back two months and have yet to hear a single dog bark once. Nor have I had to close my windows to the daily burning of plastic bottles and baby diapers. Nor have I felt the need to look to see if someone were driving on the wrong side of the road.

At night.

On a curve.

Without lights.

Drunk.

Enjoy your Thailand with our blessing. We will enjoy our homeland with or without yours.

correct ... different strokes for different folks ....

many make the decision based on various situations .... each has his own reason ...

there are pros & cons for being back at home and in the LOS. It's just weighing up which is beneficial.

wai2.gif good luck

• Like 1

I never understand these threads.

I mean if we were still in the age of steam and the only way to traverse the planet was by slow boat, then I could kind of understand it.

But Thailand's like, well, just over there, round the corner, like pretty much anywhere else these days.

Similarly, I had this feeling around 10 years when I could understand Thai langauge well and really know what many Thai thought of farang. My advice is hang in there and learn to accept the negative and be more grateful for the positive, which isn't hard to do as there are many.

I'm sure aging effects people in that they are more susceptible to being negative and grumpy old men. The other day I found myself chasing some 7-12 year olds and cursing them to stay away from my property after the catapulted my dogs and shouted insults at me, reminding me of the old English gent that we used to hassle 35 years ago by juming into his garden to get our ball and shouting racial insults at him.

A remarkably civil thread, well done guys. I understand where the OP is coming from particularly in relation to the selfie cultivated image culture emerging here but I think he will find the same back home, its just the way of the world to progress or some might say regress. Good luck anyway.[/quote

Spot on- it's even worse at home ( UK) - apparently one of the best selling presents this Christmas in the UK was a selfie stick!

Travel on the underground in London- you can guarantee ( even though there is no connection) half the passengers will be staring at phones. In South Korea- 100% are staring at phones on the trains.

It's the way things are going- some airlines are considering wifi on board.

This country can be very frustrating - but it sure beats the rat race in London .

A remarkably civil thread, well done guys. I understand where the OP is coming from particularly in relation to the selfie cultivated image culture emerging here but I think he will find the same back home, its just the way of the world to progress or some might say regress. Good luck anyway.[/quote

Spot on- it's even worse at home ( UK) - apparently one of the best selling presents this Christmas in the UK was a selfie stick!

Travel on the underground in London- you can guarantee ( even though there is no connection) half the passengers will be staring at phones. In South Korea- 100% are staring at phones on the trains.

It's the way things are going- some airlines are considering wifi on board.

This country can be very frustrating - but it sure beats the rat race in London .

London isn't Blighty.

Honestly, give Devon a whirl. It's Devon Heaven.

And no. I am not a bitter expat who was cleaned out by a bar girl... :-) One of

my main reasons for leaving is that I wish to have my 4 year old daughter

educated in America. The rich Thais all send their children abroad to be educated,

so I will do the same for free.....

Congratulation.

Being in your situation I would do the same ... for the sake of the child's future.

• Like 1

Similarly, I had this feeling around 10 years when I could understand Thai langauge well and really know what many Thai thought of farang. My advice is hang in there and learn to accept the negative and be more grateful for the positive, which isn't hard to do as there are many.

I'm sure aging effects people in that they are more susceptible to being negative and grumpy old men. The other day I found myself chasing some 7-12 year olds and cursing them to stay away from my property after the catapulted my dogs and shouted insults at me, reminding me of the old English gent that we used to hassle 35 years ago by juming into his garden to get our ball and shouting racial insults at him.

grumpy-muppets1.jpg

There is nothing wrong with Thailand. I still like Thailand

Apart from the corruption, political oppression, rampant stupidity, greed and lies, no not much! It has certainly lost a lot of it's charm in the past 20 years, an awful lot.

Al of those things were here when I got here 25 years ago and some were worse than they are now. I still love the place.

• Like 1

I love visiting Thailand and seeing my Thai family each year or so but their isn't enough baht in the world that would get me to live there. Even my wife who is Thai doesn't care much about going back anymore. As beautiful as certain places are its still a third world country by even the most liberal standards and the weather is awful! I can understand people seeing it as an affordable retirement alternative but no thanks! I'll take my quiet and peaceful central PA small town life any day. The grass isn't any greener for me anywhere else!