Sawasdee Krub (the goodbye one)

srchino

There is nothing wrong with Thailand. I still like Thailand

Apart from the corruption, political oppression, rampant stupidity, greed and lies, no not much! It has certainly lost a lot of it's charm in the past 20 years, an awful lot. Along with that it is starting to look like everywhere else, I detest the proliferation of Starbucks, MuckDonalds, 7/11 and Piza Hut etc etc, who want to see what they can back home. Thais are far more materialistic and have a jaded opinion of foreigners, curiosity and friendliness has given way to contempt and even hostility.

People can kid themselves all they want that they fit in and are liked cos they can read and speak a bit of Thai, but they will always be falang to Thai and aliens to immigration, put a foot wrong and you will soon find that out.

Edited by dragonfly94

I'll bet a relationship and/or money figure heavily in those departures.

EyesWideOpen

"And no. I am not a bitter expat who was cleaned out by a bar girl... :-) One of

my main reasons for leaving is that I wish to have my 4 year old daughter

educated in America. "

• Like 2

Bon' Voyage folks ...... don't forget to write !!

when you get back home ... ignore the high taxes, corruption, bureaucratic red tape, over the top regulations for anything you try to do, cost of living, must have a license for everything you do, expensive for a cup of coffee, can't do this can't do that, & anything else I forgot to mention ...... clap2.gif

I love Thailand ... !!!!!

Last time I looked, a good cup of coffee here cost the same as the US. However, if you like Nescafe then the cost is about the same. Of course, when with your bar friends your statement would be, "in my Country you can't even have a few beers and drive your car or walk stupidly down the street without being arrested." Now, rewrite your post and give your real reason.

Thailand is changing but some people see it through rose tinted glasses. My Thai wife and her Family all say Thailand has changed, We Have a house in Thailand, but Our main home is in the UK, Every year we go back for a few months, Maybe getting out of Thailand and looking in, instead of in looking out gives you a better prospective of life in Thailand. We found Thais more irritable this time.

• Like 1

I left last October to take care of my aging mother and to upgrade my education (Masters) as Thai unis can't compare but I am returning eventually. The prices just for normal things was truly a shock like $1.89 for a coke and $20.00 for breakfast after the tip. My next return to Thailand will be for the long haul of retirement. I missed Thailand immediately once I came across the snappy people of my homeland. It is still nice to see home and a few old friends.

I LOVE THAILAND!!!

Some of you make some very valid observations and raised some good questions.

Some of the problems I cite do indeed exist in my home country to one extent or another, but on the scale that might affect me there is a legal pathway for recourse. Like any legal system it's inefficient and could be improved, but there is one that is available to the general public and not simply rich and connected people.

I also have had a very good feel for what's been going on in my home country over the span of my time in Thailand, I went back and forth often and this past visit there I really started appreciating the stability and growing trends in the right direction. Meanwhile in Thailand living with cops piss testing foreigners (later found to be illegal) right on the street at my doorstep, it just felt uneasy.

I'd say that there wasn't any single one thing, but it was an accumulation of a thousand little ones. I came to Thailand before the era of the selfie existed (okay maybe there was a random one with a crappy little Nokia here and there), and the narcissism that has erupted to modern day selfie stick culture just kind of disgusts me. People aren't as aware of the people in their immediate surroundings, but rather obsessed with carefully sculpting their image for the Instagram persona they have crafted as a "brand".

No, this phenomenon isn't what made me want to leave, but out of all those selfie taking, insular Line chatters on the BTS, used to be an occasional "hello, where are you from?" Friendly exchange, that sorta stuff is pretty rare these days (i.e., from people who aren't looking for money from me in some way).

Down in the south I'd say people are not as friendly as I remember either, and many more very unpleasant tourists in the Russians and Chinese. In the north of Thailand I still find it to be very nice and the people there haven't changed as much. I did consider moving there- but a combination of factors collectively pushing me away from Thailand (none of them immigration related) PLUS many very appealing things happening back in my home country just sort of made me wake up and realize that life would be better on the other side of the water.

I hope to return someday and find it still a wonderful place (also I'm going pretty serious with a very nice girl from Thailand so there's that connection as she's from a very big family there). Like someone said above, just been listening to the same mix for too long- on toward the next phase in life, and very much looking forward to some little things, like considerate motorists!

Edited by srchino
  • Like 1

For me there are benefits for both Thailand and the UK, sometimes when I go back to the Uk to visit my family and friends after a week I cannot wait to get back to Thailand, sometimes after spending time in Thailand I look forward to popping back to the UK, remember the grass is always greener.

• Like 1

Sometimes it's just time to move on

Good luck to those, it seems a few are longer term stayers.

It has changed a lot over the years, and certainly some of it not for the better, but I still enjoy living and working here at the moment.

• Like 2

Meanwhile in Thailand living with cops piss testing foreigners (later found to be illegal) right on the street at my doorstep, it just felt uneasy.

Sounds like you just need to move out of the tourist bar area and get into real Thailand, never understood why people come all the way here to live along side a load of overweight white sock sandle wielding tourists in a smokey bar.

I must say, since leaving Bangkok and moving out into northern Thailand things are much nicer.

• Like 1

Bon' Voyage folks ...... don't forget to write !!

when you get back home ... ignore the high taxes, corruption, bureaucratic red tape, over the top regulations for anything you try to do, cost of living, must have a license for everything you do, expensive for a cup of coffee, can't do this can't do that, & anything else I forgot to mention ...... clap2.gif

I love Thailand ... !!!!!

Last time I looked, a good cup of coffee here cost the same as the US. However, if you like Nescafe then the cost is about the same. Of course, when with your bar friends your statement would be, "in my Country you can't even have a few beers and drive your car or walk stupidly down the street without being arrested." Now, rewrite your post and give your real reason.

Wrong !! ....... I buy a machine processed cup of coffee made from beans imported from Brizal for 40 baht each day ..... and I know many other coffee houses offer similar ..... in your country it's around $5 minimum so thats about 4 x ...

Also , I'm a loner ... no bar friends like your leaving behind ..... and it's got absolutely nothing to do with driving a car after drinking ... that is considered illegal in any country.

I'm talking about ... if I own a block of land in the US , UK , Australia or elsewhere ... Legally I cannot even dig a hole on my land unless I get a permit ... I cannot cut down a tree on my own land unless I get a permit ..... I cannot go fishing on my property unless I have a license .....I cannot have a BBQ on my land unless I obtain permission & a permit to light the BBQ ..... and so on .... and so on ....

Do you get the point or are you still in denial .... coffee1.gif

You forgot to add that you couldn't hang out your laundry on a clothesline or build a treehouse for your kids in many suburban communities in the US.

I'll take Thailand any day of the week.

• Like 1

Meanwhile in Thailand living with cops piss testing foreigners (later found to be illegal) right on the street at my doorstep, it just felt uneasy.

Sounds like you just need to move out of the tourist bar area and get into real Thailand, never understood why people come all the way here to live along side a load of overweight white sock sandle wielding tourists in a smokey bar.

I must say, since leaving Bangkok and moving out into northern Thailand things are much nicer.

Actually I lived in the Thai bar area, one that I really loved living in for many reasons beyond the nightlife. I'm not a fan of the fanny pack, cheap beer sois I think you're referring to, either.

Like I said, I did consider moving to the north and I do like it up there, but in considering a change of scenery as a whole and all the factors involved I was drawn home, and it's a tremendously good feeling. I land in less than an hour!

Edited by srchino