New place for jamming at the Night Bazar

Okertes

Could not some one who wants to jam in a bar pay the owner 20 baht to let him play.

If people play well, bars are more than happy to have people jamming, especially for free. The problem arises when a Thai says;

'hey! I could be making money playing there if those farang weren't hogging the mic! They're taking away my potential income."

Now, this fellow might not be able to put together three chords in the same key, nor sing any better than a frog, but if HE thinks he could be making money, and he complains to the police that foreigners are blocking him from doing so, that's all it takes to create a problem. Perhaps he tried to get a paying gig at the same bar and was turned down because he didn't know which side of the guitar to strum, but in HIS mind, all he knows is that foreigners are playing and he's not getting any money...

That doesn't really answer the question. If you were to give the owner say 50 baht you would not be working you would be renting space and equipment. I know what you say is possible but would not you paying the bar owner with no money being paid to you make it OK. Same as playing on the street only you pay for the pleasure of playing.

That's an interesting concept... someone 'renting space' to play... I see where you are coming from on this, and I like it!

I guess it would be something that could well be argued before the courts if it came to that.

As said before, lots of people are playing in many different venues these days and so far, no one is getting hassled about it. And as long as no Thai gets upset about it, there won't be any problems.

But all it takes is one.

One disgruntled, unhappy soul who feels that a farang is taking away his opportunity to earn a living for the sh#t to hit the fan. Or for a Thai supervisor to get up on the wrong side of the bed and decide 'today we're going to enforce a different law,' We've seen that happen many times in the past... Sweeps of various locations targeting one specific violation.

Maybe it will happen. Maybe it won't. In any event, it's easy enough to avoid the problem, right?

I asked earlier if anyone can give me one name of any farang in Chiang Mai being done for working without a work permit and the answer so far is 'no', and I'm talking about guys that are really working, not guys playing a guitar or singing, so just 'technically' working. I'm hard pushed to name one after 25 years here. I also don't know who this mythical Thai guy is that first of all would even know that a visitor jamming in a bar is breaking the law, or would care enough to report him to the authorities if he did know.

Your assumption that it is easy enough to avoid the situation is certainly true, just as much as it is easy enough to not drink in a backstreet bar on Buddha days, smoke the odd joint occasionally, place a bet on a game of football or , dare I day it , use a prostitute. They are all illegal, but people do these things because they like to enjoy themselves and consider the risk of being caught to be small, or in some cases non-existent.

I imagine that for some people, performing on a stage is a drug, or certainly a big buzz, so why would they not do it when it is clearly a ridiculous law, that most people are unaware of and certainly don't care about? Everyone could be out there enjoying themselves, having a great time or they could be sitting at home listening to people saying " yes, but what if....".

If you and your mates don't have the need to perform on a stage and are quite happy hiding behind a tree on a hill, that's great, but I'm sure you are totally aware of how much some people love to perform to an audience and the buzz it gives them. Is that buzz worth the risk of an extremely remote , highly unlikely raid by the Labour Office boys? My guess is yes. Now, where are my Spoons........

Long gone but a Singaporean at the defunct Peak in 2007 got busted big time for working behind the bar. whistling.gif

Considering the fact that the guy was not only surrounded by competition, but plenty of unsavoury competition at that, the big surprise is that this only happens once in every 5 or 6 years, if that. As good an indication as any that even in high-risk scenarios the Thais in Chiang Mai aren't into snitching. Of course, it's barely comparable to people getting up to play in a jamming bar. Hardly anyone would even know it's an offence, technically.

Anyway, back on topic, has anyone been to the place mentioned? It would be good to have some more good places to go. I'll proably pop into Boys Bar tonight, Spoons in pocket, now that I've been reminded.

The crackdown four years ago was a result of a complaint against the then successful foreign owned "Guitarman". The police then visited other establishments including North Gate Jazz Bar to appear to be fair.

Some bigwig from Bangkok then said Chiang Mai was a cultural capital and playing music in a bar for enjoyment was not a problem.

The Guitarman shut down and normality resumed within weeks. TIT.

The crackdown four years ago was a result of a complaint against the then successful foreign owned "Guitarman". The police then visited other establishments including North Gate Jazz Bar to appear to be fair.

Some bigwig from Bangkok then said Chiang Mai was a cultural capital and playing music in a bar for enjoyment was not a problem.

The Guitarman shut down and normality resumed within weeks. TIT.

There's no need to call anyone a tit, especially in Caps, which I believe is the equivalent of shouting! The Guitarman did indeed shut down, or rather he sold the business, but as far as I know that was nothing to do with the police raid, and the resumption of jamming had nothing to do with Guitarman closing.

Coincidentally, Guitarman Nick was at Boys Blues tonight. Great to see him back and looking good. A good crowd, and a good time was had by all with some great performances tonight, including the aforemention Carlisle Lad, as well as Pocket-sized Suzi Quatro, powered by Duracell, apparently, and some of the regular crew. The finale was from the guy that does the I'm Coming song. A great way to end the night, and fortunately for the people on the front row he didn't actually live up to his words, although it looked like it was close.

I'm sure the guys performing behind the tree, on the grassy knoll, are similarly enjoying themselves, but I think they should realise that should they wish to perform in front of a crowd, ............ It's safe.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe
  • Like 2

There's no need to call anyone a tit, especially in Caps, which I believe is the equivalent of shouting!

Perhaps some kind soul might wish to give a clue to what TIT in capitals means so this guy doesn't come off sounding so foolish.

I'm sure the guys performing behind the tree, on the grassy knoll, are similarly enjoying themselves, but I think they should realise that should they wish to perform in front of a crowd, ............ It's safe.

And while you're at it, give him some remedial reading lessons... The post didn't say we played 'behind' a tree.' It said we played 'under' a tree... as in a lovely grassy location one might choose for a picnic. We also play in parks, along side the river, and at the lake's edge. But then, you knew that, didn't you, just as you knew that we weren't 'hiding' behind the tree as you wrote in your previous post. If you have to change someone's words to make your point, you've already lost the game.

As you said in post #17 "I also like to ignore as many laws as I possibly can."

Some of us prefer to follow as many as we possibly can. It makes things go smoother for others around us. Concern for others is what civilization is all about.

Edited by FolkGuitar

There's no need to call anyone a tit, especially in Caps, which I believe is the equivalent of shouting!

Perhaps some kind soul might wish to give a clue to what TIT in capitals means so this guy doesn't come off sounding so foolish.

And while you're at it, give him some remedial reading lessons... The post didn't say we played 'behind' a tree.' It said we played 'under' a tree... as in a lovely grassy location one might choose for a picnic. We also play in parks, along side the river, and at the lake's edge. But then, you knew that, didn't you, just as you knew that we weren't 'hiding' behind the tree as you wrote in your previous post. If you have to change someone's words to make your point, you've already lost the game.

As you said in post #17 "I also like to ignore as many laws as I possibly can."

Some of us prefer to follow as many as we possibly can. It makes things go smoother for others around us. Concern for others is what civilization is all about.

I obviously know what TIT means, I was having a laugh. On this forum TIT may well mean This Is Thailand, but similarly, if I took offence to someone's remarks, I might angrily want to call him a TIT. How would you distinguish the two? You're use of TIT could easily have been interpreted as either, especially by someone with a lively imagination, although I knew which one you meant.

I was also using the 'behind a tree' as a a bit of poetic licence. You did actually say under a tree, but you also mentioned that no one bothers you and you can't be heard at street level, which could give the impression that you are hiding, especially bearing in mind what almost comes across as paranoia in your comments regarding angry Thais being deprived of a job, shit hitting the fan etc.

If you are the model citizen that you make out to be, following as many laws as you can that's great. I try to follow every important law that might cause problems to me or to anyone else if I don't, but irrelevant laws that cause no harm to me or others ...... I ignore all of them if I can. Singing or playing music in a music bar is one of those laws. Hardly, pushing the boundaries, I know, but great fun, nonetheless.

I may be wrong, but my impression is that the lack of humour in your reply , calling me foolish and needing remedial reading lessons, makes you sound angry at the fact that you're missing out, when a whole load of people are having a great time. That was a big part of my post that prompted your reply. Maybe that urge to play in public is still there deep down, after all, but your over-riding need to observe laws that everyone else is ignoring, is preventing that happening, and it bothers you.

For some people here, especially the strictly law-abiding types, the fact that so many laws are often ignored is difficult for them to accept, and causes them to be moody, irrational and paranoid. I remember one such old guy, a former civil servant, who was forever going on about it and how wrong it was. TIT.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe
  • Like 1

I obviously know what TIT means, I was having a laugh.

We are too. Thanks.

I was also using the 'behind a tree' as a a bit of poetic licence.

You dance well. laugh.png

I may be wrong, but my impression is that the lack of humour in your reply , calling me foolish and needing remedial reading lessons, makes you sound angry at the fact that you're missing out, when a whole load of people are having a great time.

Yep. That must be it. rolleyes.gif

For some people here, especially the strictly law-abiding types, the fact that so many laws are often ignored is difficult for them to accept, and causes them to be moody, irrational and paranoid. I remember one such old guy, a former civil servant, who was forever going on about it and how wrong it was. TIT.

Actually, it causes us to wonder why you feel the need to brag about breaking the law? This isn't the first thread where you've told us all how you love to break 'as many laws as you possibly can.' What bene's do you get out of telling us this?

FG, The 'benefit', (to use the long-hand version of the word) of being here is that by breaking trivial, harmless and unnecessary laws that nobody cares about, you get to enjoy life a little bit more. TIT.

Last night at Boy's Blues Bar and hopefully next sunday at The Pub are two fine examples.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

FG, The 'benefit', (to use the long-hand version of the word) of being here is that by breaking trivial, harmless and unnecessary laws that nobody cares about, you get to enjoy life a little bit more. TIT.

Last night at Boy's Blues Bar and hopefully next sunday at The Pub are two fine examples.

Still dancing, eh? And not reading very well, either.

My question was why you felt the need to repeatedly brag to us that you break as many laws as you possibly can. We know why you break them.

Edited by FolkGuitar

Still dancing, eh? And not reading very well, either.

My question was why you felt the need to repeatedly brag to us that you break as many laws as you possibly can. We know why you break them.

Other than you, who could possibly believe that my comments about breaking trivial laws that even the authorities don't care about is bragging? The laws are so trivial, how could anyone brag about It? "I don't care about the law, I whistled along to a tune at a music bar yesterday, and ......... when no-one was looking I rattled mt Spoons".

Yes, you know why I break them, because they are trivial, and I only mentioned them because scare-monger's and people who couldn't bring themselves to break the most innocuous of laws, keep warning people against going out and jamming. This was a topic about jamming until scare-mongers came out with their I-know-everything-about-Thailand and don't-do-that-it's-against-the-law attitude and warned against it. I have mentioned some places to jam , what has been your contribution?

I don't know what your problem is but you really do give the impression that you are jealous of those people that are out enjoying themselves, because you think they shouldn't be, because it's wrong to break the law. Either way, I don't much care. You do your thing, I'll do mine. TIT.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

Other than you, who could possibly believe that my comments about breaking trivial laws that even the authorities don't care about is bragging?

Anyone who has read your repeated statements saying that you like to break as many laws as possible. Have you considered that what seems 'trivial' to you might not seem trivial to someone else? Which just might account for the creation of some of these laws in the first place.

I have mentioned some places to jam

Yes, you have. Despite the fact that playing in them is in direct violation of Thai law. A law that 99 times out of 100 will not be enforced, but a law that does exist if the police choose to enforce it. Let's hope your friends aren't playing when that 100th time rolls around.

what has been your contribution?

Mine? Giving people several alternative venues for playing music in public that don't put them into situations where they might complicate their lives;

playing in parks, playing beside the river, playing on top of the moat wall, playing beside the lake... You know, the sort of places where people go to relax and enjoy themselves every day. It's where we play and enjoy ourselves, so no reason to be jealous of anyone else, and no issues with violation of any of Thailand's laws.

Edited by FolkGuitar

Other than you, who could possibly believe that my comments about breaking trivial laws that even the authorities don't care about is bragging?

Anyone who has read your repeated statements saying that you like to break as many laws as possible. Have you considered that what seems 'trivial' to you might not seem trivial to someone else? Which just might account for the creation of some of these laws in the first place.

I have mentioned some places to jam

Yes, you have. Despite the fact that playing in them is in direct violation of Thai law. A law that 99 times out of 100 will not be enforced, but a law that does exist if the police choose to enforce it. Let's hope your friends aren't playing when that 100th time rolls around.

what has been your contribution?

Mine? Giving people several alternative venues for playing music in public that don't put them into situations where they might complicate their lives;

playing in parks, playing beside the river, playing on top of the moat wall, playing beside the lake... You know, the sort of places where people go to relax and enjoy themselves every day. It's where we play and enjoy ourselves, so no reason to be jealous of anyone else, and no issues with violation of any of Thailand's laws.

Okay.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just learned that Immigration officers have hit the same club three times during the month of January, checking papers of people working and playing. And it wasn't even a regular music venue, just a 'sometimes' one...

If they've visited that club, they are sure to have visited others.

Sometimes the bear bites you. Other times you bite the bear.

• Like 1