About me and my thoughts on riding in Thailand.

Carol Jadzia

Only just found this corner of the Thai Visa Forum. Hi folks.

I don't currently live in Thailand, last visit was for a month last year. We hired a couple of mid range bikes (ER6 and a CB500) and Took in, Phuket Bike Week, Ko Samui Bike Week, Songkran and 10 days riding round the rain forest in between.

In England I ride a ZRX1100 and spent over 15 years working as a Motorcycle Instructor Trainer. I have also been a dispatch rider and proffesional Driver.

I have shared my thoughts on riding in Thailand on my website. I hope some of you find it interesting.

Some might say I am a bit arrogant - who am I to say how things are done in Thailand? I don't care, if what I say manages to save a life, All that matters.

But as I am sure many of you do ride in Thailand far more than I ever have I value your opinions.

Many years of teaching people to ride motorcycles has left me with a thick skin so don't be worried to say what you think.

Advanced motorcycling teaches to value others opinions, long as everyone is safe.

Our main site is On-the-Wind.com (we do a disco for Charity Bike Nights)

But the main point of interest is the #ThaiBiker Page

If nothing else you will find out about our road trip. Nice to meet you all.

Hope maybe some day I get to ride with some of you.

Your weird choice of font and text color makes the site practically unreadable, and the link locations are unclear- if you want people to actually bother with it you need to work on it and make it more user-friendly.

I get it, you're a woman, but you don't need to 'girly' the site up so much.

Fair comment, try that again now if you don't mind. Hopefully that's better?

I agree.

I tried to read for a while but gave up in the end. I can't comment on the article for this reason.

Please use the classic black on white with a legible font, all aligned on the left side (not centered)...will make a huge difference. Trust me, I write blogs too.

• Like 1

After scanning quickly through it, I got bored.

But I did read your letter to the Thai Goverment....

But knowing how the culture works over here, it would just be ignored, with the comment, "If you are not happy don't come back"...

That seems to be the General Census when anyone critises or try's to improve things or scenarios...

Just my two cents worth

• Like 1

After scanning quickly through it, I got bored.

But I did read your letter to the Thai Goverment....

But knowing how the culture works over here, it would just be ignored, with the comment, "If you are not happy don't come back"...

That seems to be the General Census when anyone critises or try's to improve things or scenarios...

Just my two cents worth

Yes very true. Only difference here is that things are slowly trying to be done. We will see how far things go.

I met lots of decent bikers in Thailand. But there are many looney farangs as well, especially with the current hire out anything with no questions asked just leave your passport stuff.

• Like 1

I was on that Koh Samui ride, btw- I was riding the ZX-14R a couple paces ahead of the camera bike.

Oh wow. did you see my footage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzuuVCmRzkI&list=PLD28U3l47mf2aZhoxOAZnRZ-mU9PoNDmt&index=7

Sorry, just looked at that and thought to myself what a nerdy reply.

Was great riding with you anyway, even if I didn't know who you were at the time wai2.gif

Much better. You always want high contrast to make reading easier.

Finally I managed to read it through.

I applaud your intentions regarding road safety, but to be honest the article seems a bit vague. Is it about road safety or all the nice people and places you encountered. Why would the government want to know about your trip?

If you write a letter to the government, you should clearly list what problems you had renting and riding, and then clearly list ways to improve those problems.

Probably won't make much difference in the end as it's the same as talking to a wall, but at least you would have the satisfaction of having done a proper job.

keep up the good work

• Like 2

Much better. You always want high contrast to make reading easier.

Finally I managed to read it through.

I applaud your intentions regarding road safety, but to be honest the article seems a bit vague. Is it about road safety or all the nice people and places you encountered. Why would the government want to know about your trip?

If you write a letter to the government, you should clearly list what problems you had renting and riding, and then clearly list ways to improve those problems.

Probably won't make much difference in the end as it's the same as talking to a wall, but at least you would have the satisfaction of having done a proper job.

keep up the good work

I totally agree, the bulk of the page text is supposed to be vague. Did you read the two letters and the advice post. Three links towards the bottom?

Maybe they need better placement?

Is this a thread asking advice about webdesign or roadsafety in Thailand? LOL b.t.w 2 of the 3 links don't work for me.

As some posters wrote, Roadsafety ( or the lack of it) is what it is, and not much going to change,TIT It's still a great country to ride.

• Like 1

I totally agree that it's a great country to ride in and I would never wish that to change.

Just a shame there is so many people getting killed and seriously injured as well.

Just for the sake of some basic training and enforcing the current laws.

Dutchbike - you say 2 out of the 3 links don't work, which links are you referring to please?

• Like 1

Sending a letter to the government is a bit ott,but if it makes you feel better so be it, believe me they have many other things that will be higher prioty .relatively short ride really,some guys on here will do that in a day ride.never the less I'm sure a good experience for you.

Sending a letter to the government is a bit ott,but if it makes you feel better so be it, believe me they have many other things that will be higher prioty .relatively short ride really,some guys on here will do that in a day ride.never the less I'm sure a good experience for you.

Well the Thai government is currently making it a priority.

And I have often done more than a 1000 km's in a day. I have regularly done that sort of mileage almost every day for work.

But it's not the length that counts.

Edited by Carol Jadzia
  • Like 1

I started riding when I was 15.The one I have now is A HD softail.I don't ride in Thailand.I know your probably good being an instructor.But I wouldn't doubt it will only be A matter of time before you get hit.Good luck.

I love forums. Always both extreme end of the same view.

I participated in another thread on here about accidents on Ko Samui. There was a post by a guy on Ko Samui saying that riding in Thailand was not a problem long as you ride defensively.

Yes there is a very good chance of having an accident in Thailand. That is why it is either the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th most dangerous place to ride in the world depending on which figures you believe. But always noticing it is one of the top four.

But part of why it is so dangerous makes it why I and thousands of others would wish to ride there.

Maybe Thailand like being at the top of a list? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Can't see that somehow.

The UK is down near the bottom of the list. Don't want to see Thailand with the overly restrictive UK licence policies. But the differences are at such polar extremes there is no chances of that.

Here I give people advice like parking the rear wheel down camber so that the bike won't fall over.

There you have people riding around carrying un protected babies in arms.

Here I have to pass three tests and pay loads out in insurance and the bike has to pass an MOT

There Farangs are allowed to hire big sports bikes without even a licence check

Does not take a lot to try and adjust the balance, even just a little?

Would it be nice to not be afraid of riding in such a beautiful country?

Holiday impressions and actually living/ riding here is a different thing. Thanks for sharing anyway

Thank you for your input.

I would be very interested in knowing what you feel is missing from what I have said compared to your far greater experience of Thailand Roads?

I love forums. Always both extreme end of the same view.

I participated in another thread on here about accidents on Ko Samui. There was a post by a guy on Ko Samui saying that riding in Thailand was not a problem long as you ride defensively.

Yes there is a very good chance of having an accident in Thailand. That is why it is either the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th most dangerous place to ride in the world depending on which figures you believe. But always noticing it is one of the top four.

But part of why it is so dangerous makes it why I and thousands of others would wish to ride there.

Maybe Thailand like being at the top of a list? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Can't see that somehow.

The UK is down near the bottom of the list. Don't want to see Thailand with the overly restrictive UK licence policies. But the differences are at such polar extremes there is no chances of that.

Here I give people advice like parking the rear wheel down camber so that the bike won't fall over.

There you have people riding around carrying un protected babies in arms.

Here I have to pass three tests and pay loads out in insurance and the bike has to pass an MOT

There Farangs are allowed to hire big sports bikes without even a licence check

Does not take a lot to try and adjust the balance, even just a little?

Would it be nice to not be afraid of riding in such a beautiful country?

Ahh...the good old 'prey on the fears' combined with 'white man's burden'.

Life is full of danger. The second leading cause of death for females in the UK is heart disease, with 26,714. That is +400 over ALL the traffic related fatalities in Thailand...which has at 2 million more people living there. Are you afraid of riding and succumbing to heart disease and potentially crashing your bike into an MPV and murdering a family of innocents that has 2 young children?

Enjoy the country for what it is; don't assume that your ways are better; if you can't, good luck in your search for finding a country that has the balance you like.

• Like 1

I started riding when I was 15.The one I have now is A HD softail.I don't ride in Thailand.I know your probably good being an instructor.But I wouldn't doubt it will only be A matter of time before you get hit.Good luck.

What is the relevance of your comment about OP ?

Actually, what is your relevance of your post,full stop?

I know your probably good being an instructor.But I wouldn't doubt it will only be A matter of time before you get hit.Good luck.

Why do you have no doubt that she will be hit in time.?

Can you clarify this comment,I mean,on what grounds would you even say this?

Well the Thai government is currently making it a priority.

And I have often done more than a 1000 km's in a day. I have regularly done that sort of mileage almost every day for work.

But it's not the length that counts.

I'm sure they are making it priority just like when chalerm said they would end the drug problem within 6 months.............lol

as for being scared to ride here ,I'm not one bit scared to ride here ,I'm actually more scared to ride in the uk (big brother is watching you)than here ,get out the touristy areas which you visited and rode in two of the biggest (samui and phuket ) and you will find some of the greatest roads with very little traffic.

p.s you got ripped on the bike rental i know off places 11,000 a week or 28,000 a month for 650 cc machines

Edited by taninthai
  • Like 1

True that. When I ride here I feel free, even though I know how dangerous it can be. When I ride back home (North Italy), I'm constantly worried about radars and the ubiquitous police. Plus, here you can ride all year.

I just wish there were more mountains around where I live.

you will find some of the greatest roads with very little traffic.

p.s you got ripped on the bike rental i know off places 11,000 a week or 28,000 a month for 650 cc machines

I did find some amazing roads. I went off riding into a plantation to a Thai friends Rubber Tree plantation for example.

Phuket and Samui were shit riding, too many idiot farangs. Far nicer getting away from it all up into the Rainforest.

Yes I know I got ripped off. Bloody russians. Made promises online before we arrived about doing a deal.

Won't get fooled again. Have friends who will sort things out for me now.

True that. When I ride here I feel free, even though I know how dangerous it can be. When I ride back home (North Italy), I'm constantly worried about radars and the ubiquitous police. Plus, here you can ride all year.

I just wish there were more mountains around where I live.

Hear, hear.

While my State has really nice police officers, they will throw the book at you. Just will do it with a friendly smile.

Speed traps, strict enforcements of the laws(at least in Thailand if you are approaching a red light and are at the top left of a T intersection most of the time you can slow down and go through it...try that back home!), points against your license, etc. are well beyond the occasional idiocy that you have to suffer through here.

Could I be killed or worst maimed? Maybe. But it could happen back home also.

Holiday impressions and actually living/ riding here is a different thing. Thanks for sharing anyway

Thank you for your input.

I would be very interested in knowing what you feel is missing from what I have said compared to your far greater experience of Thailand Roads?

The abrivation T.I.T ( this is Thailand) says it all, after living here for several years most of us will agree, You're right on most of your points, but to changing that, won't happen anytime soon, it will take several decades to change people's attitude towards roadsafety. For now it's a lost cause.

Even though it's more dangerous on the roads then in most other countries in the world, I don't feel unsafe, common sense and good gear helps with that.

As far of the Thai concerns, it's their country let them do things there way.

I can only second that. I also don't feel too unsafe riding here because i would say i adapted to the situation here rather than trying to change it. I don't want to say my experience is so much better and greater but the time i have ridden here i have done my homework's. Most important thing for me is to learn to "read" the traffic and other peoples behavior on the road here and well this takes a bit time...

• Like 2