Asus Lamborghini Notebook

The Coder

That is curious. But they do say: "The NVIDIA GeForceGo 7400VX Special Edition dedicated graphics engine is designed exclusively for the VX1 notebook series" so perhaps they thought they could make it better than a 7600? Have to wait for benchmarks perhaps. For me I'll hold out for the version with a 64-bit cpu and wimax :o. But I really like the choices they made with this sys; draws my attention from the Acer Ferrari's.

That is curious. But they do say: "The NVIDIA GeForceGo 7400VX Special Edition dedicated graphics engine is designed exclusively for the VX1 notebook series" so perhaps they thought they could make it better than a 7600? Have to wait for benchmarks perhaps. For me I'll hold out for the version with a 64-bit cpu and wimax :D. But I really like the choices they made with this sys; draws my attention from the Acer Ferrari's.

Yes its not bad. However having said that you can get the same machine but higher specification from www.portableone.com configured with a 2.16ghz Centrino Duo either 100gb (7200rpm) which I prefer over a 160gb 5400rpm drive - although u can configure it with the slower 160 if you wish. 2gb mem and 512mb 7600 graphics for about 900$ US cheaper than the VX1.

Portableone purchases barebones models from ASUS and configures them to customer specifications and they do ship to Thailand. However I got the A8JM in Fortune IT Mall for 60,000 baht.

To be honest I have never got the Acer Ferrari and the Asus Lamborghini laptops ideas - what next Compaq BMW.... clever marketing for machines that should be the fastest everything but in reality the best hardware available goes into the Non car branded machines that the manufacturers make.

From what I have found on the net the 7400vx has only 128mb memory plus a 512 turbo cache........whatever that means. Where as the current 7600 in the Asus has 512mb Hypermemory.....

Tech Buzzwords - I never understand them :o

Edited by dekka007

To be honest I have never got the Acer Ferrari and the Asus Lamborghini laptops ideas - what next Compaq BMW.... clever marketing for machines that should be the fastest everything but in reality the best hardware available goes into the Non car branded machines that the manufacturers make.

From what I have found on the net the 7400vx has only 128mb memory plus a 512 turbo cache........whatever that means. Where as the current 7600 in the Asus has 512mb Hypermemory.....

Tech Buzzwords - I never understand them :o

It's the same thing. It means that this graphics card, through some clever tricks, can use parts of the computer's main memory. What really matters in terms of speed though is how much memory is on the card. I have an ATI 1600 with 256 on card and 256 "hypermemory". Turbo cache is the same idea. If you have a real 512MB of VRAM - now that's a different story. And probably overkill if you don't do 3D modeling or the latest 3D games.

It's a double-edged sword since those high end graphics cards use more power than the processor so they tend to drain the battery fast. Only Sony has figured out to get around that - one of their models offers a graphics card that can be turned off completely. The system will then switch to slow but cheap on-board graphics. Battery life jumps from 3.5 to 7 hours.

I get a measly 3.5 hours even though my laptop (Acer TM 8204) has the biggest, baddest 9-cell battery money can buy. All because of that ATI card. NVIDIA is even worse for battery usage, or so I hear (never had one).

As for the branding - who cares. If you like a Ferrari or Lambo logo on your laptop, or just like the styling - why not.

If you really cared about style you would have to buy a black MacBook from Apple though, nothing can touch it in terms of style, and that's official.

OT: I was at Siam Paragon recently and from far away saw a Ferrari-logo. I thought they might sell the Ferrari laptop, along with an assortment of more or less silly Ferrari-branded stuff. But when I came closer I saw they sold the actual cars. Just a bunch of Ferraris behind the shopping windows :D Never occurred to me to go to the shopping mall to get a Ferrari... only in LOS... :drool:

It's the same thing. It means that this graphics card, through some clever tricks, can use parts of the computer's main memory. What really matters in terms of speed though is how much memory is on the card. I have an ATI 1600 with 256 on card and 256 "hypermemory". Turbo cache is the same idea. If you have a real 512MB of VRAM - now that's a different story. And probably overkill if you don't do 3D modeling or the latest 3D games.

Got my facts confused on that one the A8JM has 512mb Dedicated on the 7600 Go not hyper. (Got my models mixed up).

Which again makes the Lamborghini choice of card baffling to me considering the price tag of the machine.

We get about 3.5 hours on the A8JM with 7600 Go card with the standard battery.

Did I see it right that it is a normal 15" screen rather than a widescreen? For myself I wouldn't touch a computer without a widescreen nowadays.

What is the advantage of wide screen? I don't watch movies on my laptop but if I did what's the big deal if the lid of your box is shaped to the aspect ratio of movies or not? It still will be the same size won't it? It's just the non-wide screen will not use its extra vertical space but will be just as wide and tall as a wide screen. The downside of widescreen is it seems to sacrifice vertical resolution on the desktop. I wouldn't want that; means more scrolling up and down in IE and other programs to see stuff. I see disadvantages but no advantages. Yet it is all the rage so what am I missing?

Did I see it right that it is a normal 15" screen rather than a widescreen? For myself I wouldn't touch a computer without a widescreen nowadays.

What is the advantage of wide screen? I don't watch movies on my laptop but if I did what's the big deal if the lid of your box is shaped to the aspect ratio of movies or not? It still will be the same size won't it? It's just the non-wide screen will not use its extra vertical space but will be just as wide and tall as a wide screen. The downside of widescreen is it seems to sacrifice vertical resolution on the desktop. I wouldn't want that; means more scrolling up and down in IE and other programs to see stuff. I see disadvantages but no advantages. Yet it is all the rage so what am I missing?

It's my personal preference as I get more desktop space, and gain more resolution from the graphics card (mine being 1440x900), but not for the videos, they get stretched that's true, unless it's a HD video that is. It is also a great advantage for video editing to have more desktop space, which I tend to do quite often.. hence my preference to the widescreens! Though the glossy finish on the Lambo is quite nice..