Crappy Tot Conection.

Richb2004v2

I am so p*ssed off with this internet connection! It is TOT broadband, 512kbps, and is terrible. I don’t know if its my PC or the server/ supplier. I check the PC very regularly for spyware and viruses, but it makes no difference. I have also had the PC reformatted etc. I don’t know what to do next. When I was home in UK recently it was so great to use computers with brilliant connections. I don’t see why my connection here should not be the same. I don't think I have many alternative options as far as suppliers go. Any ideas?

What do you mean by terrible?? - Slow, losing connections or something else.

I used to have the 512kb package from TOT was fairly slow. I then upgraded to the goldcyber 1024kb package and now have no problems with speed, reliability or connection loses.

I can download at 108kb sec constantly from Newsgroups and also using multi threaded download manager.

The problem with Thailand internet sluggish is simply due to the internet infrastructure and international backbone links. They are just not on par with the most western countries.

I would try the 1024 package if you can afford it before jumping ship. The problem you might have is your telephone line is TOT then that restricts who can provide you a service i believe.

I am so p*ssed off with this internet connection! It is TOT broadband, 512kbps, and is terrible. I don’t know if its my PC or the server/ supplier. I check the PC very regularly for spyware and viruses, but it makes no difference. I have also had the PC reformatted etc. I don’t know what to do next. When I was home in UK recently it was so great to use computers with brilliant connections. I don’t see why my connection here should not be the same. I don't think I have many alternative options as far as suppliers go. Any ideas?

Probably doesnt help with the speed of their transparent proxies either, then theres the aerial stringing of telephone lines and exposed connections to the environment, yes they may use scotch loks but they will get wet eventually, check you noise levels on your line on your routers dsl status page if it has them, high dB noise will reduce speed as it has to keep re transmitting packets

It is slow and often the first time I attempt to open a page it doesn’t open. It says ‘page cannot be displayed’. I have to either go back and do it again or refresh several times before it appears. For example I open the explorer (or whatever) page and my default Yahoo page fails to open. Sometimes I just give up. I never lose connection; it is just frustration at this ‘drop out’.

I used to have the 512kb package from TOT was fairly slow. I then upgraded to the goldcyber 1024kb package and now have no problems with speed, reliability or connection loses.

I can download at 108kb sec constantly from Newsgroups and also using multi threaded download manager.

The problem with Thailand internet sluggish is simply due to the internet infrastructure and international backbone links. They are just not on par with the most western countries.

I would try the 1024 package if you can afford it before jumping ship. The problem you might have is your telephone line is TOT then that restricts who can provide you a service i believe.

It is slow and often the first time I attempt to open a page it doesn’t open. It says ‘page cannot be displayed’. I have to either go back and do it again or refresh several times before it appears. For example I open the explorer (or whatever) page and my default Yahoo page fails to open. Sometimes I just give up. I never lose connection; it is just frustration at this ‘drop out’.

sounds like uplink issues or DNS issues at their transparent proxies causing that, try logging a fault with them

Does it happen with particular sites, or all of them.

I find it pays to have a few test sites, spread around the world.

If they all fail (or are slow) then I know it is a Thailand problem,

if it is just one, then it may be that particular site.

This is most likely your DNS settings at fault.

enter 203.121.130.39 and 203.121.130.40 into the DNS settings after going to the "TCP/IP" "properties" for your LAN connection ( right click icon and select properties) and entering these ip addresses into the DNS settings

I don’t really use Thai websites other than this one. It seems that all the sites I use suffer equally.

As for changing the DSN settings. I right clicked on the LAN icon, but I don’t see anywhere to change the DSN settings. I managed to get to the DSL settings.

Any further help appreciated.

Thanks.

I've had the same problem with TOT for well over a week now, and everyday I call to report the error, and each time get a different response as the cause of the problem. So far the lame excuses I've heard have been, "The fiber optics cable in the Don Muang area has been damaged and our technicians are working on it. It should be fixed in a few days." Another I've heard is that, "All of Thailand is down and we don't know when the problem will be fixed." Perhaps the best I've gotten so far is "The satellite is having problems." Sorry, but my ADSL has nothing to do with any sattelites having a problem. While I don't blame the customer support service people for this, it would be nice if they could at least state the same story instead of giving lame reasons. It will eventually come up for a few hours here and there, but not enough to warrent paying what they call "Goldcyber."

Please don't take this as bashing anyone, but after a week of my internet being down, having had numerous problems for over a year and a half, and having to pay for a service, which is never credited for periods of long down times (don't let your bill be late), I'm am not the most happy with TOT at all. Thank goodness True will be available in my area soon, and I will be switching.

For any of you thinking about getting TOT don't do it; you will regret it. After 18 months of poor service, I've had enough of them.

FR

Edited by frodo

enter 203.121.130.39 and 203.121.130.40 into the DNS settings after going to the "TCP/IP" "properties" for your LAN connection ( right click icon and select properties) and entering these ip addresses into the DNS settings

How do I go about changing the DNS settings, can't seem to find where to go

to do it?

Abit off topic, but when searching for my DNS settings I noticed that my Server IP

address and my client IP address are the same, is that right or not?

Thanks for youir help.

Noodles

How do I go about changing the DNS settings, can't seem to find where to go

to do it?

Abit off topic, but when searching for my DNS settings I noticed that my Server IP

address and my client IP address are the same, is that right or not?

Thanks for youir help.

Noodles

open a command prompt and see if they are wrong first

type "ipconfig /all" then enter

I would think that the DNS settings should be correct as they are supplied by DHCP from the ISP and if they were wrong everyone would have issues

QUOTE(Richb2004v2 @ 2006-08-16 13:21:17)

I know this is pretty obvious, but do you have dsl filters on all of your phones?

In my house even one phone without a filter will stop the whole adsl link.

I have 3 phones and a two computer home network, and each has it's own phone line coming off of a junction box. When I first got T-Max adsl, it came with a modem/router and a dsl spliter/filter. I put that on one of the phones and set up my connection. It was a pretty bad connection but it did work. A couple of days later I was able to go out and buy a couple of filters for the other two phones. Made a big difference. I just thought I'd ask because somethings those little things get overlooked.

I only have one phone and the TOT guy added a ‘little box’ to it, so I think it’s ok. I noticed that there are some True advertising signs at the end of out street that have only appeared recently. Maybe I will enquire. Just because the signs are there does not actually mean that it’s available.