How to be anonymous surfing the Internet

Jonathan Fairfield

How to be anonymous surfing the Internet

702x336xInternet-Anonymous-Featured-Imag

Being safe, secure and even anonymous is important these days, what with all the high profile stories lately about Internet privacy, and of course the National Security Agency (NSA) in the U.S. putting its citizens under surveillance.

Perhaps if I was a US taxpayer I would prefer that the govt didn't have the ability to access my personal information but to be honest, since I'm not, I don't really care if someone in Washington wants to read my emails or follow my web surfing. It would be almost as boring as reading these media beat-up's every day.

• Like 1

There are too many grey areas for mr in this debate. On the one hand you find those moaning about 'invasions of privacy' who then seem to become outraged that the authorities 'didn't do enough' to prevent outrages as seen this week in Paris, yet still seem to be calling that the security authorities don't use the events of the past week to increase their powers in preventing such horrors happening again.

Ho hum...

We put a Live Cam on my mom, and I can control her laptop remotely. She is 90.

Surveillance has got to be the most boring job in the world.

I suppose if somebody was doing something highly illegal, and it would be profitable to catch them, then surveillance might be interesting. Sort of like fishing for perch in a bass pond.

I do suppose a lot of people are hiding out here, and don't pay taxes... Any reward for turning these guys in?

You could use a VPN. Some services are free but can be slow, others charge a monthly fee but have better speeds. Select a service that allows you to change your "shown" location, ie USA, UK, Europe etc.

After that it's quite simple to set up new email accounts etc. using various vpn locations. Browsing the net would not be able to tracked back to you using your IP address.

This is not anything special, all of the info is available via Mr Google. It's also not foolproof, government agencies can follow if terrorism or crime is suspected. The average user / hacker can not follow you or discover your true location or identity.

Using a VPN is illegal in some countries, Thailand being one of them. Using a computer to commit any crime is another offence in Thailand. I certainly can't recommend that you set up a vpn while in Thailand but I have heard of many that do as a work around geographical restrictions for iptv such as Netflix iplayer etc.

Edited by billphillips

You could use a VPN. Some services are free but can be slow, others charge a monthly fee but have better speeds. Select a service that allows you to change your "shown" location, ie USA, UK, Europe etc.

After that it's quite simple to set up new email accounts etc. using various vpn locations. Browsing the net would not be able to tracked back to you using your IP address.

This is not anything special, all of the info is available via Mr Google. It's also not foolproof, government agencies can follow if terrorism or crime is suspected. The average user / hacker can not follow you or discover your true location or identity.

Using a VPN is illegal in some countries, Thailand being one of them. Using a computer to commit any crime is another offence in Thailand. I certainly can't recommend that you set up a vpn while in Thailand but I have heard of many that do as a work around geographical restrictions for iptv such as Netflix iplayer etc.

I believe that using a VPN (or other methods) for the purposes of circumventing censorship in Thailand is illegal. But using a VPN for security or other legal purposes is certainly not illegal.

Many corporate employees notebooks are set up so that they cannot make a network connection except through VPN to the corporate network.