Texas state retirees using UnitedHealthcare/HealthSelect in Thailand?

Hi all.

I retired from government service in Texas and am covered under their group health plan as a retiree. I am wondering if there are other Texas state retirees that are using the coverage here in Thailand and what has been their experience with it. How do you handle claims? How responsive has the plan been? Things like that.

I don't currently need to use it but better to ask before it is needed. biggrin.png

Thanks for any information you have.

David

Sheryl,

Any chance of leaving it in this forum? I think someone with the information I am looking for is more likely to visit this forum than the home country forum. Heck, I've been on TV for years and didn't even know there was a home country forum. ☺

Thanks

David

Suspect the chance for answer is not that great - you should have a contact number or address (if not a web site) where you can obtain details. Even for federal retirement there are only a handful of plans available that provide full overseas coverage.

And those that do will require payment first be made and they reimburse later for out patient and most inpatient facilities.

Thanks Thanyaburi Mac

I had both of those already. I guess what I am looking for is people's real world experiences in dealing with coverage. What the forms and plan documents rarely tell is how the plan and the process is actually working for the people that use it.

David

Suspect the chance for answer is not that great - you should have a contact number or address (if not a web site) where you can obtain details. Even for federal retirement there are only a handful of plans available that provide full overseas coverage.

And those that do will require payment first be made and they reimburse later for out patient and most inpatient facilities.

Thanks for that lopburi3.

I'm sure your correct about the chances of getting an answer being low. According to the Employee Retirement System of Texas, there are only about 30 or so retirees here in Thailand. Was hoping that one or more of them might be a member of TV and see the post.

David

I can only speak for FEP plans - I have overseas coverage using them and make claim using form for overseas submitting both cash bill and ask hospital for detail (itemized we normally call it) bill. As BlueCross has own translation service that is it. Others may require English translation of any Thai on bill (there usually is a bit even when in English) and may require a medical certificate (which hospitals here are happy to provide) to further detail diagnosis/treatment. Normally payment is then made by return check.

Normally the back of an overseas claim form will have details of what is required and where to send etc.

Be sure to keep copies of everything and have a pending file to take action if nothing heard. My claims normally take one or two months for everything (but file on-line) so I would probably not worry for 90 days or so.